Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance: time for Ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
Now that the Model S has been updated and there are no more “performance” versions with Ludicrous (only Long Range and Plaid for now, with Plaid+ in about year - terrible name btw, why not Warp speed?), do you think Model 3 Performance might get Ludicrous? Or at least Insane, since it’s as fast as the P85D that had Insane mode when it was released with 3.2-sec 0-60mph?

Someone influential should tweet Elon and ask him. I vaguely recall he wrote at one point before Model 3 started shipping that there would be a version with Ludicrous. But then again, Elon tweets a lot..

They just need to raise the 650nm torque cap between 0-50mph ish (see Canbus captures on Reddit from user wugz). That would help a lot with the initial pull/punch that many say is lacking.

No idea if the cap exists to protect the drive train, protect Model S sales or for some other reason. If the cap is to simply provide a perf gap to the S then perhaps it could be conceivable now the plaid is here.

We also have a bunch of new German cars coming that are now closer to the M3P in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 mile, so Tesla are going to want to address that at some stage I guess. Will they upgrade older cars? Who knows. Would make great marketing, but may not make good business sense for a number of reasons.

Interesting to see what happens when the time comes.

For certain, Tesla will continue to improve the performance and range numbers across their Model 3 line. As the above poster suggested, I do think increasing pressure from both ICE and other EV competitors will influence how quickly we will see these improvements. Personally, I think the improvements are coming sooner rather than later.
I also think Tesla is moving away from “Ludicrous” as a description/name. So, I’m guessing Tesla will either continue to use “Performance” for the top trim level on the Model 3, or call it “Plaid” just like they are now doing in the S and X model line.

We shall see...

Yeah I think that tesla should do something with the model 3's performance dual motors something to brag about since model S is getting all the updates and upgrades. Give model 3s ludicrous and insane mode. That would be SWEET. Model Sis getting all the attention what about the model 3 that made the difference for people to buy it.

Didn’t someone already tweet Elon about plaid M3 and he said yes? I did a quick search and couldn’t find it, though. All I could find was a few mentions of a hacker called “green” that found references to a 100KWh battery and Ludicrous mode in the M3 code.

Didn’t someone already tweet Elon about plaid M3 and he said yes? I did a quick search and couldn’t find it, though. All I could find was a few mentions of a hacker called “green” that found references to a 100KWh battery and Ludicrous mode in the M3 code.

Elon said yes to Ludicrous on Model 3 in like 2016 or something before the 3 was on the market.

Turns out not everything he says yes to actually happens though.

they seem to be the only group to be providing legitimate options, but, I'll jump on board with them once the product is actually released instead of internet rumors.

Well, "legitimate" in terms of "basically copying Teslas existing options" (seemingly applying LR RWD code to the SR RWD, applying boost code to AWD, and applying P code to 980 LR AWD respectively so far)

I will be very interested to see if they actually release anything outside of that like additional power for a Model 3 performance.

One thing that might freshen things up is another 5% boost. For the people who bought the $2000 boost upgrade, maybe another tenth or two improvement on that: would give those who bought it some peace of mind and encourage those who don't have it yet but are on the fence to get it and make more $2000 sales.

Mike

One thing that might freshen things up is another 5% boost. For the people who bought the $2000 boost upgrade, maybe another tenth or two improvement on that: would give those who bought it some peace of mind and encourage those who don't have it yet but are on the fence to get it and make more $2000 sales.

Mike

The problem is the 980 vs 990 thing.

Much speculation is that the existing AWD+ power level is all the 990 can comfortably handle.

And the fact they offer the boost to any AWD owner, but never offered a paid P unlock to 980 owners, makes it pretty clear they do NOT want to highlight the fact newer AWD buyers get a weaker motor and early buyers.

Elon said yes to Ludicrous on Model 3 in like 2016 or something before the 3 was on the market.

Turns out not everything he says yes to actually happens though.

Well, "legitimate" in terms of "basically copying Teslas existing options" (seemingly applying LR RWD code to the SR RWD, applying boost code to AWD, and applying P code to 980 LR AWD respectively so far)

I will be very interested to see if they actually release anything outside of that like additional power for a Model 3 performance.
Found something that contraindicated what I thought I read (says “No plaid for you” to prospective M3/Y buyers):

It’s from September 11, 2019 and the text of it is:
”Yes. To be clear, Plaid powertrain is about a year away from production & applies to S,X & Roadster, but not 3 or Y. Will cost more than our current offerings, but less than competitors.”

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Found something that contraindicated what I thought I read (says “No plaid for you” to prospective M3/Y buyers):

It’s from September 11, 2019 and the text of it is:
”Yes. To be clear, Plaid powertrain is about a year away from production & applies to S,X & Roadster, but not 3 or Y. Will cost more than our current offerings, but less than competitors.”

Yup, and the ludi one for 3 that never happened is here:

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
So youre saying ludicrous mode model 3 will only be with 4680 cells?

You asked about Plaid BTW, now changing to asking about ludicrous... anyway-

There's been no ludicrous mode since the car launched in 2017 with (barring minor chem changes in the 2170s) the same as current hardware.

Some have suggested there's not really enough headroom in said hardware to offer much more performance anyway.

Why do you think it'd magically appear all of a sudden on existing HW?

A physically larger battery pack won't fit, so they can't just slap 20-25% more 2170s in there to get an S-sized pack.

For plaid, which requires a third motor to power as well, same as above but even moreso.

You asked about Plaid BTW, now changing to asking about ludicrous... anyway-

There's been no ludicrous mode since the car launched in 2017 with (barring minor chem changes in the 2170s) the same as current hardware.

Some have suggested there's not really enough headroom in said hardware to offer much more performance anyway.

Why do you think it'd magically appear all of a sudden on existing HW?

A physically larger battery pack won't fit, so they can't just slap 20-25% more 2170s in there to get an S-sized pack.

For plaid, which requires a third motor to power as well, same as above but even moreso.
This thread I only commented on the M3P, the other thread (2022 model 3 releasing) was my plaid comment.

I would assume an accel boost (maybe 0.3 secons 0-60 boost) is possible on current software and enlarged pack to break below the 3.0 threshold rating.