Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance tires not rated for temp below 20 F ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read a Feb 14, 2019 article from The Drive regarding voiding warranty on Michelin PS4S tires that come on the Performance upgraded Model 3
Basically the article says the tires are prone to cracking when temperatures dip below 20 degrees because they are summer performance tires. The article quotes a technical bulletin from Michelin.

"At tire temperatures below 20F (-7°C) Michelin UHP Sport Summer tires may develop surface cracks in the upper sidewall and tread area if flexed. Do not use, roll, or drop MICHELIN UHP Sport Summer tires with temperatures below 20°F (-7°C). If the tires have been cooled to 20°F (-7°C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F (5°C) before being installed or moving a vehicle on which they are installed. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after exposure to temperatures below 20°F (-7°C)."

Is this true ?

Driving a Tesla Model 3 Performance in the Cold Could Void Tire Warranty — The Drive

I would have liked the pilot sport all season tires to have come standard especially for winter deliveries. I dont like the idea of having two sets of wheels/tires, one for summer the other for winter. Nor do I like the idea of taking off the new tires that came on the car and buying more new tires for the winter.

The summer tires only option for performance is one of my biggest bothers about the car. Not too shabby tesla!

Yes, it's true. Tread and sidewall compounds are dialed in for a particular temperature range. Track-only race tires are dialed in for an even more limited temperature range. It's always a good idea to have two sets of wheels and tires so that you can easily switch--saves money and frustration over the car's expected lifetime.

Reactions: dfwatt
Just read a Feb 14, 2019 article from The Drive regarding voiding warranty on Michelin PS4S tires that come on the Performance upgraded Model 3
Basically the article says the tires are prone to cracking when temperatures dip below 20 degrees because they are summer performance tires. The article quotes a technical bulletin from Michelin.

"At tire temperatures below 20F (-7°C) Michelin UHP Sport Summer tires may develop surface cracks in the upper sidewall and tread area if flexed. Do not use, roll, or drop MICHELIN UHP Sport Summer tires with temperatures below 20°F (-7°C). If the tires have been cooled to 20°F (-7°C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40°F (5°C) before being installed or moving a vehicle on which they are installed. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after exposure to temperatures below 20°F (-7°C)."

Is this true ?

Driving a Tesla Model 3 Performance in the Cold Could Void Tire Warranty — The Drive

True and an issue Tesla should address.

This is the case for all summer tires. It's worse on Pirelli where the low cutoff for cracking is 45 degrees. The compound on summer tires gets quite hard as temperature goes down. Pretty much all car manufacturers put summers on their performance cars or performance optioned models. It's up to the consumer to understand what they are getting and how to deal with it.

I did have some trouble finding out what tire would be mounted on 21s for my MS, but it was only a phone call, not available at the time on line. So I went with 19s to get the all season tires and now have a set of 21s with summer rubber as well. I change over all the cars for the seasons. It gives me a chance to inspect brakes and suspension components during the switch.

The Performance Model 3 should be offered with with all season tires as standard and an option to include summer only performance tires.
I will bet that there are many cars being delivered in cold climates where the customer has no idea that the tires (vehicle) should not be driven or moved if the temperature is 20 F or below. Many people want the spoiler, bigger breaks and 20 inch wheels without the hassle of worrying about the tires if the temperature drops. How are these cars being delivered and driven home in those locations without voiding the tire warranty ? The article above was very disturbing.

The Performance Model 3 should be offered with with all season tires as standard and an option to include summer only performance tires.
I will bet that there are many cars being delivered in cold climates where the customer has no idea that the tires (vehicle) should not be driven or moved if the temperature is 20 F or below. Many people want the spoiler, bigger breaks and 20 inch wheels without the hassle of worrying about the tires if the temperature drops. How are these cars being delivered and driven home in those locations without voiding the tire warranty ? The article above was very disturbing.

Expectations when purchasing a performance version of any car are that it comes with performance tires. Performance tires have turned to rocks in cool to cold weather since there have been performance tires. My opinion is that there would be more outcry if the performance version didn't come with performance tires. I'd be in favour of three-season tires being offered as an option, but if you live in an area that has a real winter, you're still going to need a set of real high quality winter tires, preferably mounted on a second set of wheels. An extra set of wheels and tires is peanuts compared to an accident.

Winter wheels and tires for the M3 are listed in the Tesla site. I'm sure they can be mounted before delivery.

11D44FFA-D8A5-4371-A043-612B7AD398DE.jpeg
Summers are particularly impractical in places that aren’t suited to a changeover to full winter compound tires, either, such as CA, where many Teslas are sold.

View attachment 380216
Summers are particularly impractical in places that aren’t suited to a changeover to full winter compound tires, either, such as CA, where many Teslas are sold.
In those cases there are severe service all-seasons such as Nokian WR-4g. These are as good as all but the very best winter tires, but don't die when it's hot.

To the OP, yes, it’s true. You can’t use Summer tires under 40°F.

Seems par for the course. My last Subaru WRX came with summer tires on it standard. I inquired about getting it with all seasons instead as that seemed more sensible to me. No luck.
Why ruin an amazing car with horrible tires? Summers tires and Snow tires. Just swap them twice a year. It was bad enough when it came with RE-92s.

All-Season tires are worse at everything.

Reactions: 03DSG
View attachment 380216
Summer tires are great in coastal California. You can run them year round. If I’m going to the snow I put on all seasons. There’s a new class of tires, all-weather, which are snow rated but can still be used in warm weather. All season tires tend to have horrible performance in the snow.

Summer tires are great in coastal California. You can run them year round. If I’m going to the snow I put on all seasons. There’s a new class of tires, all-weather, which are snow rated but can still be used in warm weather.
Also known as severe service all-seasons (before the name all weather was coined). You can tell if the tire has this rating because there is a icon with a mountain surrounding a snowflake on the tire. Picture of the icon in the link.