Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance vs. BMW M3 (F80)

Which exterior do you prefer?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there really a question on what looks better? I bought the Model 3 of course but I keep it real on what it looks like.

D06FC1C5-F7D9-4376-9563-ABEE80224621.jpeg

I’ve owned two M3s and a Z4MC. I own an ATS-V now. I almost bought an M3 Competiton but felt it to be too aged in tech and performance, arguably my 3 year old ATS-V is the better performance car.

I ended up with the Tesla due to it being the future of performance cars and the tech. That said, the BMW M3 looks like the better sports sedan for sure. Tesla hasn’t done enough styling-wise to differentiate the Model 3P+ from the base cars, the M3 is very much differentiated inside and out. Also, the Model 3 wheel gap is worse than a Camry where the M3 has great stance from all angles. The Model S does a much better job on styling and has ride height going in its favor for sure. On styling alone, it’s a no brainer unless you’re looking for a pure sleeper. That said, all other components, Tesla all the way.

BMW M3/M4 exteriors looks great. Model 3 Performance looks good but definitely not as aggressive as its BMW counterpart. This will likely be a positive to some buys and negative to others. Very subjective question.

I do like that BMW gives their performance model buyers some differentiation from base 3 series. This is just another part of the value proposition of the higher trim. Given Tesla for all their models only differentiates via badges, rims, spoilers, red calipers, and sometimes an interior color option, I don’t think this will ever change.

BMW M3/M4 exteriors looks great. Model 3 Performance looks good but definitely not as aggressive as its BMW counterpart. This will likely be a positive to some buys and negative to others. Very subjective question.

I do like that BMW gives their performance model buyers some differentiation from base 3 series. This is just another part of the value proposition of the higher trim. Given Tesla for all their models only differentiates via badges, rims, spoilers, red calipers, and sometimes an interior color option, I don’t think this will ever change.

Agree 100%

We'll put. The biggest difference between the two for me will be the sound. People accuse the Tesla's of being soulless and I think the lack of beautiful engine notes and exhaust have a lot to do with that.

I know I'll miss the exhause and supercharger whine from my ctsv wagon I'm selling

BMW looks much more aggressive. For some that’s a plus and for some a minus.

Agreed. If Tesla goes too aggressive in design, they alienate the daily driver appeal of the Model 3. Model 3 is supposed to be their version of Camry/Accord, and I think most would agree the Model 3 looks damn s3xy. But it may not look aggressive enough for some.

I do hope as Tesla gets their first year production kinks out of the way, that they will slowly introduce more options and mods to appeal to the other crowds. Like a Performance++ package that includes red interiors, bigger steering wheels, red badging, chrome deleted, bigger spoilers, lighter rims, and track tires?

I had F80 M3 for 3 years. Good car. I would take Model 3 P in a heartbeat. But the question is exterior? F80 looks great way better than a Model 3. F80 sexy rear arches, wide stance. It looks a lot different from regular BMW 3 series. It is the best looking sport sedan in the segment. Model 3 looks the same in all models. A lot more everyday looking it’s not a negative, but if you are buying P version you want it to look a little more special. I love Tesla own a model X for a year. None of Tesla’s designers are particularly good looking. With Tesla it’s all about Drag and efficiency. Except the 2020 Roadster it looks incredible.

Model 3 is supposed to be their version of Camry/Accord

Absolutely not. It is a deadly marketing mistake and large error for consumers to compare the Model 3 against the Camry or Accord. They are not in the same class.

The Model 3's competitors are the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, and Mercedes C class. If/when Tesla begins a marketing campaign, that is the proper and intended angle for them to take and what to compare against.

Now, if Tesla needs to make improvements to the Model 3 (specifically the interior) to better compete with those vehicles, that is a different argument and one that has merit.

Reactions: MXWing
Absolutely not. It is a deadly marketing mistake and large error for consumers to compare the Model 3 against the Camry or Accord. They are not in the same class.

The Model 3's competitors are the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, and Mercedes C class. If/when Tesla begins a marketing campaign, that is the proper and intended angle for them to take and what to compare against.

Now, if Tesla needs to make improvements to the Model 3 (specifically the interior) to better compete with those vehicles, that is a different argument and one that has merit.

I did not say Model 3 is comparable to Camry/Accord, I said it's Tesla's version of it. Meaning the Model 3 is meant for mass market consumption, rather than a niche enthusiast/luxury market. Take a look at the cars people are trading in for the Model 3, majority of them are sub-35k cars.

Reactions: MXWing

did not say Model 3 is comparable to Camry/Accord, I said it's Tesla's version of it. Meaning the Model 3 is meant for mass market consumption, rather than a niche enthusiast/luxury market. Take a look at the cars people are trading in for the Model 3, majority of them are sub-35k cars.

You are both right and both wrong! (Liked both posts though).

Tesla is eating from the top and from the bottom as multiple segments are switching to the Model 3.

Something to keep in mind though is Tesla has undoubtedly nerfed the Model 3 to its full potential. Don't forget about the Model S that they have to keep selling. $140K for all options checked

upload_2018-11-17_11-25-12.png

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA