Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance vs. Model 3 LR (with tax credit) with AB and modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's say the Model 3 LR is eligible for a tax credit and I meet the income limits.

I'm debating between a 3P and 3LR that will be used sometimes as daily but I want to track once a month (maybe even biweekly).

Could the 3LR be made track ready like the 3P for under $8K? Is track mode solely for the 3P? Acceleration Boost for the 3LR I heard makes it very close to the 3P.

I heard folks want to replace the 3P suspension or brakes before they track them anyhow...

Yes, track mode from tesla is only on the Model 3P. I am not sure what a @MountainPass party box might or might not provide in place of that ( Partybox for Tesla Model 3 ) but it might be something to look into if you are so inclined.

MPP also has a full line of suspension items. Im not endorsing them specifically, as I dont have any of these parts, but given what I have seen of their transparency here and items, they are what I would personally look into for suspension / brakes etc were I so inclined.

Whether you can do it for 8k or not I have no feedback on at all. When you say "tax credit" my eyes glaze over and I lose interest in the discussion, lol.

Reactions: voxel
Trade mode is only on Performance.

AB puts it half way between standard LR and Performance in terms of acceleration at lower speeds. High speeds there’s a negligible difference even with standard LR. There’s acceleration time comparisons floating around somewhere online.

Only other hardware difference are the steel brakes. Previously the Performance had a different and lower suspension but they seem to have made them the same sometime for 2022 since they no longer list lowered suspension as a feature for the Performance. Of course if you’re putting aftermarket suspension bits then it’s all moot anyways.

Reactions: voxel
It is track mode you would probably miss most without the 3P. It is very nice to have lap times and a visual of the heat of various components so you know if it is worth it to push for a 10/10 lap when hot lapping.

I had this exact same thought and I ended up with the 3P and I am happy with that choice.

I simply upgraded the brakes and suspension as I wore them out. I first bought Unplugged pads at about 30k and rocked those for almost 60k miles and maybe 6 track days. At about 60k Miles I replaced the stock suspension with sport adjustable coilovers from MPP and also added front FUCA, front lower control bushing, Brake lines and rear adjustable toe and camber arms. I have now had that suspension on for another 55k miles and the valving needs a slight bit of tightening up.

At 90k I put in the upgraded rotors for the front and rear and replaced the rear brakes with MPP Page mill upgrades.

upgraded motors and inverters? you mean the P has the 980 motors

Same thing, basically. The Model 3P has the 980 motor and the LR AWD that is currently in production does not use that motor, so it would be appropriate to say that the model 3P uses an upgraded motor over the AWD. You could also say that the AWD uses a downgraded motor relative to the Model 3P, which is the same exact thing except one is a positive statement and one is a negative one, to denote the same thing.

Reactions: MrFusion4
Yes, the 3LR has a special rear motor/inverter that is not used on any other car and produces less power than any other rear drive unit they make. That's one of the reasons the Acceleration Boost upgrade doesn't get you full "P" power.

It's obvious that they intend to significantly cut the price of the 3LR to qualify for the 55K limit and I expect they will put the base price around $52K to allow for some paint/interior options. That means the SR pricing of $47K will likely come down a little as well.

But there's no point in frustrating people by pricing the Performance model just barely over the $55K cap so I expect they'll keep the current $63K price and add significant upgrades to justify the price difference of ~$18K after tax credits. The obvious upgrades (other than Homelink, Radar, Ultrasonic, and Lumbar) would be air suspension and a performance boost. The car is already setup for air suspension and Musk promised years ago that the 3P would include it. And they're already running more power on this powertrain in the Model Y so dialing it up a little is effortless. Throw in a little red stitching on the seats and boom, $18K justified!

They might even take it one step further and slap a Plaid rotor in there. That would only cost them a few dollars more but it would completely transform the 3P into an autobahn monster.

I dont think that 2023 M3 LR will be eligible for Tax Credit as they were priced at $59,490
2023 M3.jpg

Yeah, that's the dilemma. Tesla's gonna have to make sure they qualify for the $55K limit and there'd be riots in the streets if they sold these in December for $59K and then in January for $45K. That's why they stopped selling LR models in the US immediately after the tax bill passed.

I don't know why they started letting Americans buy new 2023 LR models thru the used/inventory section of their site since the cars are neither used nor in inventory. But hopefully anyone going that route will be warned and is doing so because they don't qualify for the tax credit anyway.

Yeah, that's the dilemma. Tesla's gonna have to make sure they qualify for the $55K limit and there'd be riots in the streets if they sold these in December for $59K and then in January for $45K. That's why they stopped selling LR models in the US immediately after the tax bill passed.

I don't know why they started letting Americans buy new 2023 LR models thru the used/inventory section of their site since the cars are neither used nor in inventory. But hopefully anyone going that route will be warned and is doing so because they don't qualify for the tax credit anyway.
I'm wondering if there's a significant revision for the updated car that will meet the price cutoff, so they're burning through existing part inventory before end of year for those that are OK not getting the tax break.

Yes, Tesla has announced that 2023 models will no longer include ultrasonic parking sensors and there are rumors that turn signals, gearshifts, and maybe even some of the wheels will be omitted as well. They'll get it under $55K one way or another. Trust me.

But these "inventory" cars are probably standard 2023's, not some 22-23 frankenhybrid. Tesla doesn't need to "burn thru inventory" since they can just export as many cars as needed to make a clean transition in each market. They did this with the major 2021 Model 3 refresh - overnight they made a clean jump from the 2020 cars ordered in October to the refreshed 2021 models ordered in November. Any production spillover just gets exported to some country that'll make the jump at different time.

Last edited:
Let's say the Model 3 LR is eligible for a tax credit and I meet the income limits.

To be clear - LR does NOT qualify for Federal tax credit.
Cars need to have MSRP < $55K, and Model 3 LR is $57,990.

Not to mention the income constraint.

I'm debating between a 3P and 3LR that will be used sometimes as daily but I want to track once a month (maybe even biweekly).
Could the 3LR be made track ready like the 3P for under $8K?

3P is not track ready.
You can take it to track or an autoX course, but you will quickly find that the porky weight exceeds the stock suspension and tire capabilities. Very very quickly.
You would need to upgrade the suspension and wheels+tires on any Model 3 you intend to track more than once. That holds true for either LR or P.
$8K should suffice.

Is track mode solely for the 3P? Acceleration Boost for the 3LR I heard makes it very close to the 3P.

Track mode is solely for 3P.
Without it, you can't disable excessively-intrusive traction control nannies. Or keep the battery from over heating.

I heard folks want to replace the 3P suspension or brakes before they track them anyhow...

Suspension and pads - certainly. See above.
Upgrade brake calipers are sufficient for the job, but track pads are a must (on any track car).

HTH,
a