Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance vs Model S Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

HumanInput

Plaid DELIVERED 8/4, Red/Cream+Wood/21"/FSD
May 12, 2021
Orange County, CA
Delivery dates are a bit wonky, but if that wasn’t a factor, why choose a M3P for $57K when you can get a MS LR for $80K?

Yes, there’s a $23K price gap, but you’re getting so much more car for the money and if price was the deciding factor, then a M3 LR would save a lot too, so why not choose that?

You could also close the gap by foregoing some options on the MS that you may have added to the M3. The range, performance, comfort, noise, and interior refresh provide a lot more overall value.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
Range, not important to me. 300 rated range is far more than I need.
Performance (straight line), same as an MS LR. M3P is better in turns.
Comfort, not important to me. Actually think the M3P is too soft. Prefer more sporty feel.
Noise, not important to me. 3 is already much quieter than my typical ‘want’ cars.
Interior refresh, prefer a more minimalistic interior of the 3.

Your considerations are not my considerations. So where is this $23k price gap value in it for me?

Now, a 3 with MS Plaid level performance for $80k? SOLD in a heart beat! 😁

Delivery dates are a bit wonky, but if that wasn’t a factor, why choose a M3P for $57K when you can get a MS LR for $80K?

Yes, there’s a $23K price gap, but you’re getting so much more car for the money and if price was the deciding factor, then a M3 LR would save a lot too, so why not choose that?

You could also close the gap by foregoing some options on the MS that you may have added to the M3. The range, performance, comfort, noise, and interior refresh provide a lot more overall value.

When I was leasing BMWs, I always got 3 series (or later 4 series), even though I could afford a 5 series. 5 Series were simply too big for me, and I usually only have myself, or myself and my wife in the car.

If model S was the only Tesla, I would still be driving an ICE vehicle. They are simply too big, to heavy feeling, not nimble enough... for me. It feels like a BMW 7 series, from a size perspective.

I certainly dont fault anyone for wanting them, but also, frankly, dont understand any statement that says "but you can get this for only 23k more". That statement translates to "Why would anyone get a model 3 performance, when they can get a Model S long range for only 40% more?"

40% is a lot, even if I valued the vehicles the same, which I dont. I personally wouldnt buy a model S if it cost the same as a model 3, its just not the car for me, but choice is good, everything isnt for everyone.

that was sort of the same argument of the model s vs the new model 3. so new model s has newer tech - but so did the model 3 for like 4 years.

and its still a 40% price increase which is a lot. and in australia its even more. its like 60% more for a model s.

$23K is a massive difference right off the start when we are talking about cars $57k-80K, this would be different if we are looking at $200K cars. For many people that is not feasible regardless if they would actually prefer to order the Model S LR. Using an 8 year loan calculation (which I think is crazy for a car but that's me) we are talking about approximately $350 a month more for the S over the 3P that is a significant amount of money for many people.

As well as others have commented, the S simply might not be the form factory they want. I do not want something the size of an S it is just to big for me, my wife has a van for when we need extra room and I like a smaller vehicle. The range difference is so minor its almost not worth discussing either imo.

I could go a step further and say why not just buy the 3LR AWD for even less have almost the same range as the S LR, buy Acceleration Boost and new rims and still come out cheaper than the 3P

Reactions: jjrandorin
Lots of folks who have driven the S much prefer the driving dynamics of the 3 better. It just depends what you like. I would prefer an even smaller forma factor than the 3. Give me a 2 door Tesla coupe, RWD only, mag-ride suspension, sportier seats and relax the nannies and I will trade in my M3P.

Reactions: Mr X
all down to the size of car you're interested in.
Model 3 = more nimble, smaller package, get into more parking spaces etc
Model S = more comfort, much more room for luggage, lift gate, air suspension, bio filter, bigger frunk

When looking at ranges, don't fall into the trap of looking at total range - that isn't real world. Most of the time you would start at 90% and run it down to maybe 10-15% - so therefore use 75-80% of the available range