Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance vs Model Y LR AWD 7 Seater??

Model Y LR AWD or Model 3 Performance?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I'm currently wondering if I should get a Model 3 Performance, or a Model Y 7 seater. (LR AWD since 7 seats aren't available for the Performance version) They're the same price!

I'm coming from a Mk7 Golf R! I like how the Model Y will have the hatchback, and I really want those 7 seats for trips with friends to go get food post-COVID etc! However, I also go to the racetrack 1-2 times a year so I was looking at the Model 3 Performance as well. I just go for fun though, so I don't need the best lap times or anything. With this in mind, I was wondering how the Model Y LR (perhaps with the accel boost) would hold up at the track. Perhaps I'll be able to get the hatch and 7 seats while still being able to have fun at the track!

Or should I just go for the M3P o_o

d3vpviu.png

zXXD2au.png

Tough one. Are your food-getting friends petite? If so, then the MY 7 seater may well be a good choice. Overall though, based on your usage, it sounds to me like you might be happier overall with an M3 Performance, and tell a couple of your friends to call an Uber! If a 5-seater LR AWD MY with Accel Boost is an option you'd consider, it would get my vote first, then the M3P, then the LR AWD MY 7-seater last.

Thanks for the input everyone! I suppose as jcanoe said I should test drive the cars before expending too much mental time being torn between the two cars haha. I have a Model Y LR 7 Seater test drive scheduled for this weekend! They didn't have an M3P though :s
Originally Tesla stated that if you have test driven their vehicle, say a Model 3, and then accepted delivery of your Model 3 that you would not be eligible to return it within seven days if you did not want to keep it for any reason. As Tesla has eliminated the seven day return policy there is no down side to scheduling a test drive, or several, until you find the Tesla vehicle that is right for you. If Tesla does not have a M3P for you to test drive you can try Turo where you can find a M3P that you can rent for a day. Let us know what you think after driving the 7 seat Long Range Model Y.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Just test drove the Model Y. There's an uncomfortable amount of body roll when cornering for me. It also feels like the speed rolls on fairly gently/mildly even though the car is actually quite fast. I wonder if the car is intentionally programmed to do so for mass market appeal or to create a market for the acceleration boost. I wonder if getting the acceleration boost will make the power delivery more snappy/satisfying. I do fit in the 3rd row seats though and the extra space + hatch is nice!

I also rode along in my SA's personal Model 3 Performance since there weren't any available for test driving. DAYUM it's got power and the handling seems great/what I'm looking for in a performance car. I do like the lower seating position. When I got back to my car it felt slow in comparison haha.

I wonder if (as @mikew2069 said) a Model Y LR with accel boost (to address the gentle acceleration) and suspension work done (to address the body roll) would give the best of both worlds! Would it really "fix" the Model Y's issues (in my eyes) though? I think that's the main risk! :oops: I don't think I would mind the lack of track mode too much, although I'd be worried about is some brake fade without the performance brakes.

Something about both cars that surprised me was how comfortable the seats were! I was a bit weary of the non-adjustable headrests etc but they felt pretty good!

You get track mode with M3P. MYP still doesn’t have track mode and I don’t think LR AWD MY will ever get track mode.

I have the 7-seat MY and those are useful in a pinch, for kids and for convincing your spouse to get a MY. Their utility rapidly decreases with increasing passenger height. If you take your car out to tracks once or twice a year, I’d rather have all the stuff that comes with the performance version and just drive 2 cars when going out with friends.

• Helpful
Reactions: play150
You get track mode with M3P. MYP still doesn’t have track mode and I don’t think LR AWD MY will ever get track mode.

I have the 7-seat MY and those are useful in a pinch, for kids and for convincing your spouse to get a MY. Their utility rapidly decreases with increasing passenger height. If you take your car out to tracks once or twice a year, I’d rather have all the stuff that comes with the performance version and just drive 2 cars when going out with friends.
Other than performance driving (which is important to me!), I've been wondering about a few other things that the MY might have over the M3... such as the larger space being good for sleeping/camping in the car 😵

Other than performance driving (which is important to me!), I've been wondering about a few other things that the MY might have over the M3... such as the larger space being good for sleeping/camping in the car 😵
You can order a tow hitch as an option from the factory for the Model Y. You can also add the tow hitch later on and the Tesla Service Center can install the tow hitch. Having a tow hitch makes is easier to carry multiple bicycles using a bike rack. The Model 3, in the US, still does not come with a factory tow hitch option.

• Informative
Reactions: play150
These two vehicles are much more different than they seem. You're comparing a fun, fast sports car that can be practical with a slightly taller, heavier, car that can squeeze two more tiny people in the far back, making life a bit uncomfortable for everyone except first row. I think a lot of people make the mistake that a MY is simply more *practical* M3 that can possibly hold seven, and that's not quite true.

The M3P, as a performance vehicle, beats almost all cars in its price range, and many cars above its price range. It's exiting, fun, and pretty awesome as a five seater.

The MYLR(7) is not the greatest, spacious, most comfortable, 7-seater, (call it a five-plus-two) road trip vehicle, and many cars cheaper than it are better purchases. Yes, they are ICE cars, but still, gotta have a really compelling reason to stuff the extra two in the tiny third row, and having to slide the second row forward a bit. TBH it'll work for seven around town, but again, not the greatest for long drives. Seating seven kills luggage room.

It's a very compromised car, one that needs aftermarket changes to make it a somewhat decent ride.

it makes more sense as an only vehicle, (like in my case) something that can do sort of everything but ok in some and kinda miserable in others.

Accel boost and coilovers are adding more cost to make a car *sort of* decent, and still not ever coming anywhere close to the other.

Like everyone else says, you have to *drive* both of these to know, and not just sit in the passenger side of them.

It may sound like I’m poopooing the Y a lot, but I’m really not (as I own one). I just want people to know more about what they’re getting before they cash out for one. Good luck and hope you enjoy your tesla, whichever you go with!

Last edited:
These two vehicles are much more different than they seem. You're comparing a fun, fast sports car that can be practical with a slightly taller, heavier, car that can squeeze two more tiny people in the far back, making life a bit uncomfortable for everyone except first row. I think a lot of people make the mistake that a MY is simply more *practical* M3 that can possibly hold seven, and that's not quite true.

The M3P, as a performance vehicle, beats almost all cars in its price range, and many cars above its price range. It's exiting, fun, and pretty awesome as a five seater.

The MYLR(7) is not the greatest, spacious, most comfortable, 7-seater, (call it a five-plus-two) road trip vehicle, and many cars cheaper than it are better purchases. Yes, they are ICE cars, but still, gotta have a really compelling reason to stuff the extra two in the tiny third row, and having to slide the second row forward a bit. TBH it'll work for seven around town, but again, not the greatest for long drives. It's a very compromised car, one that needs aftermarket changes to make it a somewhat decent ride.

Accel boost and coilovers are adding more cost to make a car *sort of* decent, and still not ever coming anywhere close to the other.

Like everyone else says, you have to *drive* both of these to know, and not just sit in the passenger side of them.
Thank you for the insight, I've got a M3P test drive scheduled for this week! I'm hoping that comparing the MYP and the M3P will be a good enough comparison, with the MYP representing somewhat a MY Long Range with accel boost + suspension changes. The MY LR (7) does indeed appeal to me for driving people around town (e.g to a restaurant), rather than road trips 😁

Reactions: Exelion
Thank you for the insight, I've got a M3P test drive scheduled for this week! I'm hoping that comparing the MYP and the M3P will be a good enough comparison, with the MYP representing somewhat a MY Long Range with accel boost + suspension changes. The MY LR (7) does indeed appeal to me for driving people around town (e.g to a restaurant), rather than road trips 😁
MY LR w/boost! Had a M3 set up that way and the AB really made a difference. Very noticeably so! Best $2000 I ever spent!