Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance vs Model Y LR?

Which one to keep?

• Model 3 Performance 2021 white/black interior

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Model Y Long Range 2022 blue/white interior

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, first post here. Looking forward to learn plenty.

So, I have a Model 3 Performance ‘21 white and have recently purchased a Model Y LR for my wife. Long story short, my wife has another car and now I have to chose which one to keep between the 2. Every day I find out something new that changes my mind and I find it very difficult to make up my mind.

Here are some points that made this decision very difficult for me and thank you for your help.

1. Model 3 is Performance and is an absolute blast. Track is not really an option for me, or at least not more than a couple of laps because there are no DC chargers or a decent service center anywhere near me. So any issues I get from pushing the car would need to pay around 700$ to roundtrip the card from Kuwait to Dubai where the closest service center is.
  2. Model Y has the better color combination in my opinion.
  3. Model Y is 22 so has the AMD Ryzen chip vs Intel on the 3.
  4. Model Y is bigger on the inside.
I know I only found one point for the 3 but that has a LOT of weight for me. And I do like to the lower seating Profile.

@MYKilowatts Model 3P drives much much better than a Model Y. Not just acceleration, but the overall ride + handling + feel of the car. Obviously you're well aware of this which is why you have this dilemma vs the more practical Model Y, I'm just confirming what you already know. :) Plus M3P's Track Mode is pretty awesome if you have any opportunities to put it to use (not just on actual racetracks).

Model Y is vastly better for hauling cargo and rear seat passengers. Great seating positions and very good packaging. It's also plenty quick in its own right, though not M3P quick of course.

To me MCU2 vs MCU3 is minor compared to the other M3P vs MYLR differences. Clearly MCU3 is better but I wouldn't decide this based on the MCU version at all.

What are your priorities? My general advice on Model 3 vs Y is if you need the space get the Y, but if you don't get the 3. In your case "get the..." becomes "keep the ..." :)

Edit: What is your wife driving now? Is it good for cargo hauling? The 3's sedan trunk opening is really restrictive compared to the Y or anything with a hatch/liftgate. For my wife and I our 3P is a 2nd car, so it's fine that it can't haul big things, but we do enough hauling that we couldn't have a 3 as our only car or primary hauler. Whereas a Y would be totally practical for that. Our other car is an S P85, which was our only car for many years, and still does the bigger hauling jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel
Ok do
@MYKilowatts Model 3P drives much much better than a Model Y. Not just acceleration, but the overall ride + handling + feel of the car. Obviously you're well aware of this which is why you have this dilemma vs the more practical Model Y, I'm just confirming what you already know. :) Plus M3P's Track Mode is pretty awesome if you have any opportunities to put it to use (not just on actual racetracks).

Model Y is vastly better for hauling cargo and rear seat passengers. Great seating positions and very good packaging. It's also plenty quick in its own right, though not M3P quick of course.

To me MCU2 vs MCU3 is minor compared to the other M3P vs MYLR differences. Clearly MCU3 is better but I wouldn't decide this based on the MCU version at all.

What are your priorities? My general advice on Model 3 vs Y is if you need the space get the Y, but if you don't get the 3. In your case "get the..." becomes "keep the ..." :)

Edit: What is your wife driving now? Is it good for cargo hauling? The 3's sedan trunk opening is really restrictive compared to the Y or anything with a hatch/liftgate. For my wife and I our 3P is a 2nd car, so it's fine that it can't haul big things, but we do enough hauling that we couldn't have a 3 as our only car or primary hauler. Whereas a Y would be totally practical for that. Our other car is an S P85, which was our only car for many years, and still does the bigger hauling jobs.

Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback. Highly appreciated!

My wife’s car is an Audi Q8. We also have an older Yukon so hauling capacity is definitely not an issue.

I’ll chime in. I have both. The 3 p is mine and the y p is my wife’s. There is no comparison, especially in track, the 3 is the winner. My wife even said she was sad she took mine to work one day when I needed the bigger car and she went for a trackmode joy ride for an hour after. Just different level. That being said, if I didn’t have the 3 the YP would be the most insane car I’ve ever driven