Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The secret to happiness with the order process is low expectations. Fortunately, I love the cars. I bought a model Y and we parked our other gas guzzler mercedes and haven't driven it since.
I started with low expectations and had no problem with that, but then they gave me an EDD window of 7/24 - 8/7 and got my hopes up. (OD 7/13, and the initial expectation from the order page was August - October.) Then they moved it back to 8/5 - 8/19 on 7/25... If they hadn't given me such optimistic dates from the start I probably wouldn't be thinking about it so much yet.

The initial EDD put me in a bit of a rush to get all my plans sorted out, and it became more exciting. Then I found this page and became a lot more skeptical of those dates, especially considering Flatbroke's experience.... It just seems ridiculously fast. I don't understand why Tesla is claiming that I'll get mine before other people in the bay area who ordered in May or June. It makes no sense.

It's great to hear how much people love the cars, though.

I started with low expectations and had no problem with that, but then they gave me an EDD window of 7/24 - 8/7 and got my hopes up. (OD 7/13, and the initial expectation from the order page was August - October.) Then they moved it back to 8/5 - 8/19 on 7/25... If they hadn't given me such optimistic dates from the start I probably wouldn't be thinking about it so much yet.

The initial EDD put me in a bit of a rush to get all my plans sorted out, and it became more exciting. Then I found this page and became a lot more skeptical of those dates, especially considering Flatbroke's experience.... It just seems ridiculously fast. I don't understand why Tesla is claiming that I'll get mine before other people in the bay area who ordered in May or June. It makes no sense.

It's great to hear how much people love the cars, though.
I’m a car guy, dad builds race bikes. We are dumbfounded in love with this thing.

I saw posts a while ago about Tesla v the competition, I wanted to chime in that I feel like the crazy cool things we used to see like power/range increases were insanely awesome when they used to happen. I feel like it’s been a while since they’ve done things in this nature and it’s become more of a, it comes with what it comes with and no retrofits brand now like the rest of the market is. I do wish they kept that original drive to make cars better over time but hey i still love it since i feel it’s more refined than ever before.

I’m a car guy, dad builds race bikes. We are dumbfounded in love with this thing.
The specs and the tech features are all pretty compelling for me. I know some people feel like some features are lacking, like blind spot monitoring, but I won't be missing anything there. I'd been driving a '96 Corolla for years until last year, and it didn't even have cruise control. Upgrading to a Mazda3 with a rear back-up camera was already a big deal, but all these features in the Tesla vehicles are just phenomenal to me.

I do wish the driver's side mirror would adjust to point further out. That was the first thing I noticed on the test drive... It won't point far enough out to eliminate the blind spot. The cameras help, but that was a bit weird.

Kind of a car guy too. Didn't think I would ever warm up to the idea of owning an EV. But now I need another commuter to get me through hopefully the last 5 to 7 years of my working career. Especially with what's been going on with gas prices. Model 3 seemed to strike a good balance all things considered. And I can't commute in a GT3 Touring or get one/afford one right now for that matter. So this car is supposed to get me to that next car.

On the blind spot thing. Wasn't even aware that was a thing until a few recent posts. When I test drove the Model 3 for the first time a couple months ago I remember saying to myself when pulling out of the dealer parking lot "man, I can't see anything out of the back window". And when I went to get in the left lane to make a U-turn right after I pulled out of the parking lot, there was a car coming up on the left I totally didn't see. That car would have been visible in the side-view mirrors of any of my other cars. Lucky I didn't clip that car. I guess that's something else to be aware of until you get used to the blind spots and using the cameras. Maybe other new owners can chime in on how much of an adjustment that's been, if any.

I don't get why people actually Tesla's are higher tech than legacy automakers. Are a lot of you coming from Honda Civics and Toyota Camrys? There are things I like about my M3P but I don't recall a new car purchase where I have spent so much time thinking "I sure miss that feature", "why did they do this?", "this isn't ideal", etc. These cars are severely lacking in creature comfort and infotainment tech compared to the competition. Things like moving glove box opener or wiper controls to an LCD screen isn't innovative or high tech. It's just cost cutting. This car is largely like stepping back 10 years from my last two BMW's in tech. My wife's Genesis GV70 has 10x the tech and features of my model 3. Brands like Mercedes already have level 3 autonomy while people still keep filling Elon's pockets with $$$ for his level 2 autonomy scam. It really didn't take long for legacy automakers to catch Tesla and surpass them in a lot of areas. The clock is ticking on this company's good fortunes as while their battery and motor tech is great, that will only take you so far.
100%. I've said something almost identical in a couple of posts before, particularly pointing out HMG (Hyundai Motor Group = Genesis, KIA, & Hyundai)* and Mercedes. They are very advanced in their autonomous driving tech and will be the biggest threat to Tesla. - The Safety Suite 2.0 on HMG cars is remarkable and in some ways actually better than Tesla's system.

Between Genesis and Tesla, there is no comparison when it comes to quality, fit & finish, tolerance levels, warranty, features that should exist in a $70K car etc... the Genesis is a much better EV at the end of the day when you weigh all things on the scale.

HMG also tend to under estimate their range, which is better than over promising like Tesla does. In the real world HMG EVs are very competitive and wipes the floor in its class over VWs for example, which is another story in itself. The ID4, ID5 etc... terrible. - For another time lol...

You make a very good point about how folks are throwing money at Elon for nothing really (that actually works or is available) in return, but broken promises. Can't fault Tesla lol they sure do know how to work it so *golf clap* kudos to them.

You've also hit the nail on the head about the clock ticking for Tesla. I think a lot of folks forget that Tesla has had a HUGE head start ahead of anything so when you're the only one on the field with no competition (prior to the new EVs coming out now like with the GV60, IONIQ5/6 and KIA EV6) you can get away with a lot. - Like creating a cult and getting people to accept less as being an upgrade; in their mind.

There are a lot of parallels with Tesla and Apple. - Apple went from making premium stuff to falling off the deep end with making disposable stuff and riding on their prior success WAVE. I think the head start with Tesla is what has kept them afloat, but that wave is residing.

The entire EV landscape will be very different between now and 2025. It has already begun and the truth is Tesla has to do something NOW before it's too late.

* btw I spelled out the acronym for the folks that may have not known what HMG stands for, not for you as I'm sure you knew already. :p

With all that said... I can't wait to get my M3P.
Yeah the screen is snappy for sure and it works well for the most part but a lot of controls are buried in menus and to be fair a lot of other automakers are reducing the amount of buttons as BMW is moving climate controls to LCD in their newer models. Lack of blind spot monitoring is annoying for sure as is the lack of 360 camera. I expect in the coming years as the competition increases Tesla will be forced to start adding these features but I think they should be a little more proactive here as brand loyalty is key for a lot of automakers and the reality is that most people purchasing these cars are doing so because they are more widely available than other EV's and a lot of owners have one foot out the door treating these cars like transitional vehicles while waiting for legacy offerings to become more widely available.

I just want to be clear that I like my Tesla but I'm not over the moon happy about the shoddy build quality at the price point and the fact that the car feels unfinished like it's still in beta stages with all the missing features that modern cars have today.

It's a kit car with amazing driving dynamics and motors. Beta is actually proper as these cars are very unfinished.

I have high hopes that Tesla will improve on the areas they lack in, but in a few years if they're still offering cars with a lack of features that it absolutely should have at the price point, my M3P will be my first and last Tesla without a doubt.

There are strong points to the M3P that I love and those things are enough to allow Tesla to be a stop gap for me until we are presented with some incredible offerings by the legacy auto makers, particularly HMG with their N Line of EVs.

Agree 100%. Honestly, the Performance and Plaid models are the only things that still stand out from the industry, since there's nothing that performs as well (or has the range they do) in their price points.

That said, if you think back to when hybrids were becoming a thing, everyone bought a Prius. Why? Simple - if you were buying a Prius, everyone KNEW you were driving a hybrid, because you couldn't get a Prius any other way. That's going to be the way people view Tesla, Rivian, Lucid, etc. for a long time to come. Most people will buy the Tesla simply so everyone knows they're driving an electric vehicle... wouldn't want to be mistaken for some pleb with a 430i when you're driving that i4!

I just saw a video today of the Genesis GV60 Performance clocking in 3.7-3.8 seconds 0-60, which is on par with the MYP. That's crazy considering that it's wrapped in those heavy 21" wheels too. Imagine if it had smaller and lighter wheels. 😀

For the price, even at MSRP the GV60 Performance is one heck of a bargain. It's so much more EV for the money that provides you with actual luxury compared to the MYP.

The only thing that it may lack compared to the MYP is the range; however, again the GV60P are riding on 21" wheels, which I'm positive is making a huge dent in the range. - But even stock with those 21" wheels, in the real world the range isn't too shabby and likely not too different than the MYP. (Real world.)

Then you have the 800v architecture on the HMG EVs that allows you to charge:

• 0%-70% in 18 mins
  • 10%-80% in 18 mins
  • 0%-80% in 25 mins

It's very real and very impressive. There are videos showing this. (Genesis offers 3 years of free charging, complimentary.)

You're absolutely right about the Tesla Effect and what it represents and portrays. It's well deserved and as always...credit to where it's due. Tesla has done an incredible thing with paving the way for EVs and alike...

Your 430i comment cracked me up! Ha!

Last edited:
Reactions: Brou
Just scheduled my delivery - August 7th! That will be 19 days to get to Charlotte.
That's encouraging news that they scheduled your delivery date over a week ahead of time. I keep reading stories of people getting emails/texts with a 3-day delivery window warning and Tesla saying you have 3 days to come get your car or we give it to someone else. I have a long way to go to pick mine up (700 miles) and getting a week advance notice would be extremely helpful!

Good luck with your delivery date and lets hope Jimmy in Fremont did a good job on your car!