Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled the trigger on ordering a performance 3 (black w/ white interior) back in early December, simply due to the $3750 credit. Got the news about the $7500 credit yesterday, then today I was assigned a vin and scheduled for delivery on 12/27! I couldn't be happier, especially knowing that the performance model is basically guaranteed not to qualify for the $7500 tax rebate. This is THE time to buy a performance 3

Reactions: turns2stone
I ordered 24 hours ago, and just got a VIN assigned minutes ago. Think they’ll schedule my delivery soon?

For me I got VIN about a week out of delivery, then got bumped with the Thanksgiving holiday, depends how far away you are. Being in Dallas I'd plan on a week or so of travel unless the car is already in TX. And this week will be rough as there won't be as many haulers moving cars around.

Exciting news! Does it say where the car is? Still being built or did they find one in the system closer to you?
I don't see any location in the app or online, where would I see that? Part of me thinks they found one 'close' because of the short time it took for a VIN. Literally a couple of days ago on Dec 20th, there was the exact car I wanted within 200 miles, in available inventory. The incentive was $3750. I only made the decision when the incentive increased to $7500 and of course that car had been gone for several hours.

My point being - until a few days ago, they did have a couple of the exact configs I wanted here locally, so possibly they had some en route this entire time.
For me I got VIN about a week out of delivery, then got bumped with the Thanksgiving holiday, depends how far away you are. Being in Dallas I'd plan on a week or so of travel unless the car is already in TX. And this week will be rough as there won't be as many haulers moving cars around.

Valid points, but I have to believe Tesla logistics has been accounting and planning for all this vehicle movement. They always have a mad scramble at the end of the year, so I would suspect they've been making arrangements for months, to move thousands of vehicles out of Fremont/Austin.

That's amazing, crazy how much delivery times have changed in the past 6 months.
Even crazier, I had no intention of buying a car even a few days ago. I suppose I'm very motivated by a sale? :p

Seemed almost dumb to pass up, considering Model 3 Performance isn't eligible for an upcoming EV credits. Also, I was due for new tires on my '20 M3P ha.

Oddly, the thing I'm most looking forward to is MCU3. My Atom-based system often feels unbearably slow, when you're used to new iPhones/iPads.

I don't see any location in the app or online, where would I see that? Part of me thinks they found one 'close' because of the short time it took for a VIN. Literally a couple of days ago on Dec 20th, there was the exact car I wanted within 200 miles, in available inventory. The incentive was $3750. I only made the decision when the incentive increased to $7500 and of course that car had been gone for several hours.

My point being - until a few days ago, they did have a couple of the exact configs I wanted here locally, so possibly they had some en route this entire time.

Valid points, but I have to believe Tesla logistics has been accounting and planning for all this vehicle movement. They always have a mad scramble at the end of the year, so I would suspect they've been making arrangements for months, to move thousands of vehicles out of Fremont/Austin.
I was at the Fremont factory area yesterday and there were a lot of haulers around waiting to load cars all over. I have no idea how it compares to 'normal' times but it certainly seemed busy.

Reactions: turns2stone
Ordered mine 12/17/22 got approval of financing on 12/18/22. Completed all steps that I could until "Schedule", and that just says to "check back later". App has been stuck on the "We'll notify you when it's time to continue with your pre-delivery tasks" step for the past week.

Estimated delivery date still says Dec 2022 but no VIN has been assigned yet. I'm in Washington State, so I don't see the delivery being anytime in the next 6 days if they haven't even tied a VIN to my account, let alone began production of the vehicle.

Ordered mine 12/17/22 got approval of financing on 12/18/22. Completed all steps that I could until "Schedule", and that just says to "check back later". App has been stuck on the "We'll notify you when it's time to continue with your pre-delivery tasks" step for the past week.

Estimated delivery date still says Dec 2022 but no VIN has been assigned yet. I'm in Washington State, so I don't see the delivery being anytime in the next 6 days if they haven't even tied a VIN to my account, let alone began production of the vehicle.
I’m my experience, any new car you’re going to get this year will have already finished production weeks ago. They likely already have one for your desired configuration (there’s only a finite number of combinations), and just have locked on specific VIN to your order.

After talking to a Tesla rep about my situation, I’d recommend completing any more steps if at all possible, including registration information and confirming your trade in plans.