Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered 1/14 around 9pm est MP3 Blue/ black interior . Email shows order date of 1/15. EST deliver was Jan-feb. Updated to Feb-4-March-4 last week. Today I checked the app and it updated to Jan 28-Feb 4 and a vin was assigned . 30 Minutes later I got a text to Schedule delivery. I assume the car is already in MD.
Good to read that January 14 orders for MP3 blue/black are coming through. I ordered the same M3P blue/black on January 14 at 10 PM MST, I live in Colorado. I do not have a VIN yet but you are giving me hope that I will see it soon.

Reactions: nickg_6
Ordered 1/14 around 9pm est MP3 Blue/ black interior . Email shows order date of 1/15. EST deliver was Jan-feb. Updated to Feb-4-March-4 last week. Today I checked the app and it updated to Jan 28-Feb 4 and a vin was assigned . 30 Minutes later I got a text to Schedule delivery. I assume the car is already in MD.
You wouldn’t be near Montgomery Mall, would you? I’m only assuming because they told me they were getting an M3P for test drive next week and I scheduled one for Thursday (while also waiting for my Vin)

Reactions: chalper
You wouldn’t be near Montgomery Mall, would you? I’m only assuming because they told me they were getting an M3P for test drive next week and I scheduled one for Thursday (while also waiting for my Vin)
I live about 10 minutes from Montgomery Mall. I was scheduleing a test drive for the Black model 3 performance they would be getting next week today. While I was talking to the rep I checked the app and saw the updates then 30 mins later I got a text to schedule delivery. Needless to say I was very excited.

Reactions: chalper
I live about 10 minutes from Montgomery Mall. I was scheduleing a test drive for the Black model 3 performance they would be getting next week today. While I was talking to the rep I checked the app and saw the updates then 30 mins later I got a text to schedule delivery. Needless to say I was very excited.
Congrats @saywhatmustang and @CTroy - looking forward to seeing more M3Ps in the Bethesda area!

So I'm trying to familiarize myself as much as possible with what to expect from the 3 when it arrives and I'm confused about what version of the 3 I'm going to get. I'm guessing the 3P is only made in Fremont? I've read about different subframe structures depending on where the car is manufactured but it looks like that doesn't apply to the 3P? It only gets the newer stronger rear substructure not the front? Then there's the headlights... Are they Matrix LED? Is the interior door card the newer version with alcantara or is it the older style with leather? So many possibilities lol. Anyone with a recent delivery care to chime in on what they got?

Picking a performance up the 4th and its going to be 7deg is that going to be safe to drive 200 miles in on summer tires?
It all depends. If there is snow or ice on the ground, other than maybe a few feet near your driveway, I wouldn't even try. The odds of driving summer tires over 200 miles of snow and ice and not crashing are poor. If the car has been sitting in the cold, and the tires themselves have gotten down to 7 degrees, you are taking a significant risk of damaging the tires to drive on them. If the car was kept inside and the tires are warm, and the roads don't have snow and ice on them, you can probably safely drive it home as long as you don't have any extended stops. The tires will stay warm, especially if you're on a highway at speed. I would ask the service center to please charge the car up to 100% so you don't have to make any Supercharger stops on the way home either. I don't know if a 10 minute Supercharger stop would be long enough to let the tires cool down too much, but why chance it if you don't have to.

Reactions: Travis64
So I'm trying to familiarize myself as much as possible with what to expect from the 3 when it arrives and I'm confused about what version of the 3 I'm going to get. I'm guessing the 3P is only made in Fremont? I've read about different subframe structures depending on where the car is manufactured but it looks like that doesn't apply to the 3P? It only gets the newer stronger rear substructure not the front? Then there's the headlights... Are they Matrix LED? Is the interior door card the newer version with alcantara or is it the older style with leather? So many possibilities lol. Anyone with a recent delivery care to chime in on what they got?
Model 3 Performances are made in Fremont and Shanghai. My understanding is that all of the ones sold in the U.S. are made in Fremont; actually, I believe that all Model 3s sold in America are made in Fremont.

As for the rear subframe, I don't know about China, but all Model 3s made in America have rear frame structures made out of multiple pieces of steel welded together. The one piece aluminum castings are only used in Model Ys today. I doubt that the one piece aluminum castings are any stronger than the welded steel structures; that would make no sense from an engineering standpoint. They are likely both designed to the same level of strength. The primary advantages of the one piece aluminum castings are significantly cheaper cost of manufacturing and more precise tolerances for the frame structure and everything attached to it.

According to people who have picked up M3Ps recently, they come with the matrix headlights.

As far as I know, all Model 3s have come with alcantara on the door cards, and fake leather, like on the seats, on the arm rest.

Reactions: Irpilot
Picking a performance up the 4th and its going to be 7deg is that going to be safe to drive 200 miles in on summer tires?
I'm feeling the same problem except my drive is only 40 miles. I never drove on Summer tires in the cold but from what I'm reading "Don't Risk it!" Probably wait till closer to Saturday and if the temps don't drastically change....reschedule.

Reactions: Travis64
I'm feeling the same problem except my drive is only 40 miles. I never drove on Summer tires in the cold but from what I'm reading "Don't Risk it!" Probably wait till closer to Saturday and if the temps don't drastically change....reschedule.
If you want to see what performance summer tires are like on snow and ice, check out the following video starting at about 7:10. Actually, the whole video is very interesting and worth watching. I don't think too many people would want to drive a high performance summer tire over ice and snow for any distance after watching this video.

They did a follow up video this year showing how the Michelin Cross Climate 2 compares; again, very interesting viewing.

It is not some great risk that some make it out to be. You should make it home fine as long as you don't have snow or ice. Tire rubber is designed to work best in certain temperature ranges. A summer tire will be harder when it is below the temp range it was designed for. If you floor it, the tires will slip before they do when warm and you won't accelerate as fast. However, the point that they slip is still above how you would normally drive on the streets. You can still go around turns at the speed limit. You can still slow down, though in an emergency stop your distance will be longer. Again, more than adequate for normal driving. Their limit is still well above a normal drive home. Just don't try to push the limits and you won't hardly know you have summer tires on the way home if you don't have snow or ice. Plus, your tires will heat up quickly if you are driving at highway speeds.

If there is ice or snow, they would be terrible and I do recommend something else.

Reactions: PdxAmp and Travis64
If you want to see what performance summer tires are like on snow and ice, check out the following video starting at about 7:10. Actually, the whole video is very interesting and worth watching. I don't think too many people would want to drive a high performance summer tire over ice and snow for any distance after watching this video.

They did a follow up video this year showing how the Michelin Cross Climate 2 compares; again, very interesting viewing.
Thanks Greg....fortunately we're probably not going to have to deal with snow/ice...just single digit temperatures. If I do decide to pick up the car, I would just drive slowly for a few miles before taking it on the highway. I have a set of Anovia Titan 18x8.5 wheels with 245x45R18 Cross Climate 2's waiting in my garage.

Reactions: KTS80
Thanks Greg....fortunately we're probably not going to have to deal with snow/ice...just single digit temperatures. If I do decide to pick up the car, I would just drive slowly for a few miles before taking it on the highway. I have a set of Anovia Titan 18x8.5 wheels with 245x45R18 Cross Climate 2's waiting in my garage.
I don't think driving slowly for a few minutes will make much, if any, difference. The problem is the frozen rubber developing cracks due to the summer compound not being flexible enough in low temperatures. Here's the what it says on Tirerack's website regarding the Pirelli PZ4 tires that come on the M3P.

Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) tires are Max Performance Summer tires derived from Pirelli's Formula 1 experience and developed for some of the most exclusive and highest-performing vehicles available. Initially introduced as Original Equipment on the Audi A3 and S3, Lamborghini Huracan LP 580-2 and the Porsche Boxster, Cayman and 911, the P Zero (PZ4) includes replacement tire sizes as well as original equipment fitments. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

I think you'd get home okay, but there's enough of a chance of developing cracks in the tires that Pirelli won't warrant them. So, the primary risk is wrecking a set of tires that retail for $1,665.12 at Tirerack. Personally, I'd take the chance if I knew the tires were going to stay above freezing since the engineers always put a bit of a buffer in things and 32 degrees isn't that much lower than 45 degrees, but I'd be surprised if they can handle 7 degree temperatures in the tires during operation without developing cracks. Also, note that the cracks won't necessarily appear immediately; they can take some time to show up.

Since you already have another set of tires and wheels to put on the car, ask the service center if they'd swap the wheels and tires for you for a reasonable fee. Emphasize the safety aspects and invalidating the warranty on the stock tires if they don't. If you're handy, bring a floor jack, a jack adapter for the Tesla, the appropriate socket (21mm IIRC), and breaker bar, ratchet, and a torque wrench and swap the tires yourself. A battery powered impact wrench is really handy if you have one of those or can borrow one. There's room in the Model 3 for all 4 tires and a floor jack with the back seats folded down, just put the tires and wheels in large garden trash bags to protect the car's interior. It's not much fun to do this in the cold, but I'd do it to make sure I don't destroy a set of tires this pricey.

Jack adapter - https://www.amazon.com/KEYHAO-Lifti...2437&sprefix=tesla+jack+adapte,aps,121&sr=8-2

Last edited:
I don't think driving slowly for a few minutes will make much, if any, difference. The problem is the frozen rubber developing cracks due to the summer compound not being flexible enough in low temperatures. Here's the what it says on Tirerack's website regarding the Pirelli PZ4 tires that come on the M3P.

Pirelli P Zero (PZ4) tires are Max Performance Summer tires derived from Pirelli's Formula 1 experience and developed for some of the most exclusive and highest-performing vehicles available. Initially introduced as Original Equipment on the Audi A3 and S3, Lamborghini Huracan LP 580-2 and the Porsche Boxster, Cayman and 911, the P Zero (PZ4) includes replacement tire sizes as well as original equipment fitments. Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the P Zero (PZ4), like all summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

I think you'd get home okay, but there's enough of a chance of developing cracks in the tires that Pirelli won't warrant them. So, the primary risk is wrecking a set of tires that retail for $1,665.12 at Tirerack. Personally, I'd take the chance if I knew the tires were going to stay above freezing since the engineers always put a bit of a buffer in things and 32 degrees isn't that much lower than 45 degrees, but I'd be surprised if they can handle 7 degree temperatures in the tires during operation without developing cracks. Also, note that the cracks won't necessarily appear immediately; they can take some time to show up.

Since you already have another set of tires and wheels to put on the car, ask the service center if they'd swap the wheels and tires for you for a reasonable fee. Emphasize the safety aspects and invalidating the warranty on the stock tires if they don't. If you're handy, bring a floor jack, a jack adapter for the Tesla, the appropriate socket (21mm IIRC), and breaker bar, ratchet, and a torque wrench and swap the tires yourself. A battery powered impact wrench is really handy if you have one of those or can borrow one. There's room in the Model 3 for all 4 tires and a floor jack with the back seats folded down, just put the tires and wheels in large garden trash bags to protect the car's interior. It's not much fun to do this in the cold, but I'd do it to make sure I don't destroy a set of tires this pricey.

Jack adapter - https://www.amazon.com/KEYHAO-Lifting-Adapter-Compatible-Protects/dp/B0932VCLTL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=Q0486IRB8E8N&keywords=tesla+jack+adapter&qid=1675022437&sprefix=tesla+jack+adapte,aps,121&sr=8-2
Thanks bro for covering all the scenarios. It's just my luck that the coldest day of the winter here happens to be the day I chose to pick up my car.

keep it reasonable. On dry surface in cold your tires will be hard and you probably will now it. driving will warm up the tires and help. But you know keep legal speed keep good distance. Avoid sudden actions. then you should be fine.. now if you have any frozen participation be very very careful . you would slipping and sliding all over. Else it should be ok. Congrats for the car. Keep the rubber side down.

I'd drive the car home with summer tires below freezing if the roads are dry. Leave tons of distance. Allow plenty of time. Test emergency stopping on an open area.

But if your super nervous about it just bring a good jack and swap those tires. Jack from front spot will raise entire side of the ground, put on other wheels, tighten with torque wrench, done. Only need to jack up once on left one on right to swap all 4 wheels out.

Thanks bro for covering all the scenarios. It's just my luck that the coldest day of the winter here happens to be the day I chose to pick up my car.
Murphy's law in action. Good luck!

One last thought. Maybe the service center would bring it in the shop the night before you pick it up until you pick it up. At least that way, you won't be setting out on tires that have cold soaked overnight.