Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found a 'new inventory' demo m3p in my build spec in San Diego that I was going assign it's VIN to my order, but was pretty disappointed with the build quality of that one and unfortunately had some issues with the paint and driver's door card that seemed like it would be difficult to get resolved unlike the body panel alignment issues that would have been easier to deal with. I think it was pretty clear why it was a demo though. Would be interesting to see where it's Vin# falls.

Looks like I will need to wait until the 31st.
I would’ve been under the impression that demo vehicles are better quality so as to survive more scrutiny (and, in my personal experience, this tends to be true).

Found a 'new inventory' demo m3p in my build spec in San Diego that I was going assign it's VIN to my order, but was pretty disappointed with the build quality of that one and unfortunately had some issues with the paint and driver's door card that seemed like it would be difficult to get resolved unlike the body panel alignment issues that would have been easier to deal with. I think it was pretty clear why it was a demo though. Would be interesting to see where it's Vin# falls.

Looks like I will need to wait until the 31st.
You actually went there to check out that very vehicle (w 276 miles)? They allow that? Anyways at least you got your RC10? Gold or Black Tub?

I ordered a Blue/Black M3P Sunday, December 13th, and just got my vin assigned this morning (16th of December) with an expected delivery 28th of December in Kansas City. I am shocked I will be able to get it this quick, but I’m not complaining at all. Can’t wait as I’ve never driven one before . Just hope the weather will cooperate since it has summer tires. My trip back to southern Missouri might turn into an all day trip instead of usual 3 1/2 hours.

You actually went there to check out that very vehicle (w 276 miles)? They allow that? Anyways at least you got your RC10? Gold or Black Tub?
Haha, black tub WC!
This one had 206 miles, but it was clearly thrown together quickly. I didn't get photos of the scratches on the b pillar or the adhesive splooge On the driver's door. But the passenger door was probably the worst in terms of fitment,huge window gap to the b pillar and super tight and misaligned to the fender.

Attachments

• IMG_20201216_134116712.jpg
    IMG_20201216_134116712.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20201216_135610184.jpg
    IMG_20201216_135610184.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20201216_135620867.jpg
    IMG_20201216_135620867.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20201216_135600668.jpg
    IMG_20201216_135600668.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: CA4Fun
Yesterday I emailed my SA in Costa Mesa for the first time since my October 28th order of my MSM/black M3P. The following was the response I received. Fingers crossed.

"Good morning. We appreciate your patience. The factory is projected to ship your car the final week of December. Rest assured we're highly confident in delivering all cars this year."

Thank you

Yeah, that could be. I’m picking up mine with about 200 miles sometime in the next couple of days, so I’ll be sure to let you know how it is!
Are you picking it up site unseen? I almost had them match my VIN without seeing it, but when they said if there was any curbing on the wheels etc, and I wanted to switch back that I would then be in the 'back of the line' for a new car. So I decided to drive down and check it out and am glad I did, although I was hopeful that I could make it work.

Yesterday I emailed my SA in Costa Mesa for the first time since my October 28th order of my MSM/black M3P. The following was the response I received. Fingers crossed.

"Good morning. We appreciate your patience. The factory is projected to ship your car the final week of December. Rest assured we're highly confident in delivering all cars this year."

Thank you
I've been told the MP3s will be transported down on the 30th and pick ups on the 31st!!

Are you picking it up site unseen? I almost had them match my VIN without seeing it, but when they said if there was any curbing on the wheels etc, and I wanted to switch back that I would then be in the 'back of the line' for a new car. So I decided to drive down and check it out and am glad I did, although I was hopeful that I could make it work.
Yeah, I’m not too worried given what I’ve heard in most circumstances around demo cars. And if there are obvious defects, I’d just ask to fix them; they generally will repair anything like curb rash, paint defects, etc. as though it were a brand new car according to most online.

Haha, black tub WC!
This one had 206 miles, but it was clearly thrown together quickly. I didn't get photos of the scratches on the b pillar or the adhesive splooge On the driver's door. But the passenger door was probably the worst in terms of fitment,huge window gap to the b pillar and super tight and misaligned to the fender.
Wow, somehow I scrolled past these pictures when I wrote my last response.

My last car from Tesla had similar gaps/alignment issues to these photos, and I thought it was within acceptable limits. I must not have an eye for that sort of thing haha

I read an article that they're trying to prioritize their shipments now to get as many cars sold as they can by the end of the year. Supposedly they're prioritizing cars that can be delivered and sold quickly. That's probably why all of us CA folks are getting pick up dates at the very end of the year.

It takes more time to get the cars to other places so they're probably working on those shipments now since there is time to deliver within most of the country. Come the final week and all those sales will have to be nearby in CA, WA, etc.

Wow, somehow I scrolled past these pictures when I wrote my last response.

My last car from Tesla had similar gaps/alignment issues to these photos, and I thought it was within acceptable limits. I must not have an eye for that sort of thing haha
I would have been fine with the panel gaps and anything that needed adjusting. It was the paint defects, glass scratches and some of the issues with the interior that would have been more of a pain to resolve and the SA said it is up to the discretion of whoever is reviewing it since "it is a demo car and not a new custom ordered car", so without any high confidence or guarantee that those issues could be addressed he said to just stick with my order.

Reluctantly picked up my M3P today. My son was super excited so I caved and accepted it and will deal with the issues in the coming weeks. Typical panel gaps on all 4 doors even though there "within spec" A butcher for a detailer etc. Paint defects, at least one that I spotted. The last pic is of another M3P that came in with similar issues. But the car is a blast to drive even though weather has been crappy all day. Winters were mounted as soon as I got home.

Attachments

• IMG_20201216_102619.jpg
    IMG_20201216_102619.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20201216_102226.jpg
    IMG_20201216_102226.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20201216_102236.jpg
    IMG_20201216_102236.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20201216_152233.jpg
    IMG_20201216_152233.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20201216_152241.jpg
    IMG_20201216_152241.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20201216_102619.jpg
    IMG_20201216_102619.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20201216_102239.jpg
    IMG_20201216_102239.jpg
    350.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20201216_102213.jpg
    IMG_20201216_102213.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20201216_102236.jpg
    IMG_20201216_102236.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20201216_103825.jpg
    IMG_20201216_103825.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Helpful
Reactions: katbc and CA4Fun
Haha, black tub WC!

I have seen 4 including my own with that exact same issue under the passenger mirror. I'm wondering if it's turning into a stamping issue and less of an alignment issue.

Reluctantly picked up my M3P today. My son was super excited so I caved and accepted it and will deal with the issues in the coming weeks. Typical panel gaps on all 4 doors even though there "within spec" A butcher for a detailer etc. Paint defects, at least one that I spotted. The last pic is of another M3P that came in with similar issues. But the car is a blast to drive even though weather has been crappy all day. Winters were mounted as soon as I got home.

I have to admit... the main thing that's worrying me about picking up an end of year car is that they may have thrown quality control out the window. I'm assuming the gaps are fixable by them after the fact?

Someone mentioned that the delivery center can do some repairs... wonder if anyone can tell us more about that so we know our options when we get there?

What the heck with the paint, though, did the detailer guy drop his cloth on the ground and say 'f-it, 3 second rule'...?

I have to admit... the main thing that's worrying me about picking up an end of year car is that they may have thrown quality control out the window. I'm assuming the gaps are fixable by them after the fact.

Someone mentioned that the delivery center can do some repairs... wonder if anyone can tell us more about that so we know our options when we get there?

What the heck with the paint, though, did the detailer guy drop his cloth on the ground and say 'f-it, 3 second rule'...?
I'm thinking he grabbed the first piece of sandpaper he saw and went to town. In teslas defence, this the third car that this center has delivered. They obviously don't know what there doing. They were made aware of the PA El issues the day the car got there. Last Thursday. They claimed they atrwmpted to fix them, but no of them have changed. I have pics from drop off day. So I've launched a complaint ticket and have an Appt on the 28th at a more established service center an hour away. And believe it, I'm getting the car professionally paint corrected, and I will be sticking them with the bill.