Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess what really chaps my rear on all of this is (and why I agree that Tesla needs some real competition to kick them in the butt and get their act together as well as knock some billions in stock value off Elon's pocketbook), is that an "order" means precisely ZERO.

I have owned and pre-ordered really difficult to get vehicles - see my signature - before. The Focus RS took 18 months BUT I knew for a fact how many cars Ford was making in the run and I had my spot in line intact. I might not have had exact dates until VIN was assigned out of Germany, but I knew that when they got to manufacturing car number X, that was going to be my car in the spec that I ordered.

It was not a bet on whether or not they were going deign to manufacture cars in my spec and whether or not I hit the statistical lottery that they happened to send one to my geography and nobody else got to it first in claiming it. Oh and if you do not hit that statistical win, guess what, you get to go back into the damn lottery again the next quarter, and maybe or maybe not, you get a car then. And you are at the back of the line AGAIN because you are geographically close to the factory. WTF Elon. That is just really poor business practice.

If you are oversubscribed on orders, whoopee for Tesla, but put some guardrails around the BS communications and tell people orders after a date certain are going to be next quarter delivery and FIRST IN LINE. I could live with and plan around that. And if it happens to be you get a surprise because someone cancelled and they end up with an inventory car to offer you early, then everyone is happy. But this process is completely ridiculous. It is not going to generate customer loyalty. It is just customer abuse at this point (along with the extremely inconsistent QC). I can guarantee you if I end up back in line for "maybe if I am lucky March" then I will likely bail. In addition, even if I am just so stuck because there is nothing really comparable out there, and so I am a fool who waits it out, I can absolutely guarantee I will hop to another manufacturer as soon as there is. Neither my Focus RS or Audi RS3 were like this ridiculous process.

Any minute now buddy. Give us the good news.
OK, what are you? A magician?

I literally hit reply for the prior post, went back to my tab with the Tesla account and now I have a VIN...

How is that even remotely possible? 879XXX

Wow, that is not what I was expecting to happen at all. My prior post remains true. I have seen and followed these threads for months, even before I joined. How can this be the process?

gonna start a little list here on who/order-date/estimated deliver dates since I don't wanna ask everyone when did you order, etc. For the guys that's pending delivery, please continue below.

c4Lvin: 12/09 - NO Delivery Date

avn1284: 12/14 - No VIN/delivery estimate (Central Valley, CA)

Spoke to my SA and he said I’d have to wait for the next batch of performance models in the next quarter. Might be Jan-Feb.

OK, what are you? A magician?

I literally hit reply for the prior post, went back to my tab with the Tesla account and now I have a VIN...

How is that even remotely possible? 879XXX

Wow, that is not what I was expecting to happen at all. My prior post remains true. I have seen and followed these threads for months, even before I joined. How can this be the process?
Thank me later ;)

I guess what really chaps my rear on all of this is (and why I agree that Tesla needs some real competition to kick them in the butt and get their act together as well as knock some billions in stock value off Elon's pocketbook), is that an "order" means precisely ZERO.

I have owned and pre-ordered really difficult to get vehicles - see my signature - before. The Focus RS took 18 months BUT I knew for a fact how many cars Ford was making in the run and I had my spot in line intact. I might not have had exact dates until VIN was assigned out of Germany, but I knew that when they got to manufacturing car number X, that was going to be my car in the spec that I ordered.

It was not a bet on whether or not they were going deign to manufacture cars in my spec and whether or not I hit the statistical lottery that they happened to send one to my geography and nobody else got to it first in claiming it. Oh and if you do not hit that statistical win, guess what, you get to go back into the damn lottery again the next quarter, and maybe or maybe not, you get a car then. And you are at the back of the line AGAIN because you are geographically close to the factory. WTF Elon. That is just really poor business practice.

If you are oversubscribed on orders, whoopee for Tesla, but put some guardrails around the BS communications and tell people orders after a date certain are going to be next quarter delivery and FIRST IN LINE. I could live with and plan around that. And if it happens to be you get a surprise because someone cancelled and they end up with an inventory car to offer you early, then everyone is happy. But this process is completely ridiculous. It is not going to generate customer loyalty. It is just customer abuse at this point (along with the extremely inconsistent QC). I can guarantee you if I end up back in line for "maybe if I am lucky March" then I will likely bail. In addition, even if I am just so stuck because there is nothing really comparable out there, and so I am a fool who waits it out, I can absolutely guarantee I will hop to another manufacturer as soon as there is. Neither my Focus RS or Audi RS3 were like this ridiculous process.
Well said!

I was inspired to research and purchase these wheels after seeing your delivery post! They are from replika.ca and can be purchased through aftermarketev.com in the US. I went with black R241s in 18x8.5 for my winter wheels. Now if I can just locate the new tire pressure monitoring sensors.

Yes, you have to get rims with a large enough bore size to clear the brakes. I bought mine from a Canadian firm and they corrected my order telling me the ones I originally ordered would not fit. They had the same rim with a larger bore (70.2 mm vs 64.1 mm) and changed it to that after consulting me.

One thing I was very impressed with was how much the car can fit. I got all four 20" Uberturbine wheels into the car with no problem. My 335i may have been able to fit two. Was thinking I would need to make two trips to take them home.

• Love
Reactions: Doggiedog
This morning I was driving my M3P for the second time and the Teslacam picked up a trailer full of Model 3s on a broken down car carrier on the side of I80 in NJ. Hopefully, their deliveries won't be too delayed. It was only a few more miles to the dealership.
20201229_121302_resized.jpg

Reactions: c4Lvin
Looks like Tesla will miss our delivery by eoy. Car is STILL SITTING at the rail yard in NJ. They keep moving the date back and back. At this point if the car doesn’t arrive in MD by tomorrow it won’t happened. And that’s a shame. That ordering in October doesn’t get you a car in time. And to boot, they don’t even know what will happen with my trade in either as that expires once again on the 1st. LoL. Can’t do anything but laugh at this point. Going to go back to lurking. Hope everyone’s has a much better 2021. And hope you all enjoy your Tesla more than we have.

Sorry to hear about that.

Picked up this morning. Man alive, what a car! The only issue I can see so far is a misalignment of the trunk. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to get that taken care of. Overall, it was a very seamless experience. I got to share the experience with my daughter who is studying environmental science. Now dad has some street cred:cool:

View attachment 622121 View attachment 622122 View attachment 622123 View attachment 622124

Looks great! That's the color I wanted. Unfortunately, if I added a cent to my final cost, it would put me over the NJ EV rebate vehicle cost limit and I would lose out on $5K. I picked up my car yesterday and your misalignment looks similar to mine except the gap on my car is sticking out of the body and not the trunk. I'll need to see if I can get mine aligned as well.

I was inspired to research and purchase these wheels after seeing your delivery post! They are from replika.ca and can be purchased through aftermarketev.com in the US. I went with black R241s in 18x8.5 for my winter wheels. Now if I can just locate the new tire pressure monitoring sensors.

I tried looking around for the TPMS outside of Tesla but couldn't find them or were unsure if they would work. Eventually I got my VIN and was able to purchase them directly from the Tesla dealership. They won't sell to you without a VIN. They cost $75 each.

I just got the call that my delivery day got pushed back from tomorrow to 12/31. They said my car will arrive tomorrow after 7pm so I will be able to pick up the car on 12/31 after 12:30 pm. So that's kinda a bummer.

I just finished reading your whole post. Are you thinking that the 12/31 won't happen either? That I'll get a call on the 31st telling me to expect the 1st or 2nd? @Tholland

@SpringfieldM3P
I would say this, as my final thing, if I were you, and you are planning anything else around your delivery, I would cal, and confirm where your car is. Like I was told mine should had arrived on Monday. Then today, and now tomorrow. If it doesn’t come tomorrow most won’t get there’s until after the new year. So yes, I’m saying 12/31 might not happen, if the car doesn’t arrive on the 30th. It was a blast helping you guys out. Chatting with you. If it’s one positive thing about Tesla, it is that the community is great. You will make friends and meet people that you probably wouldn’t have met. Some with turn into long term friends. For everyone who got their delivery, congratulations! Hope you enjoy it. It’s great when it’s right. Happy New year folks. Best wishes in the new year. We all can use a better year than 2020!

Last edited:
I’ve had an incredibly frustrating day with Tesla. The short of it, what the SA told me, is that it’s his I Understanding that they’re not making any more performance three models in this quarter, and I’ll have to wait till March April to get the vehicle.

I then tried to get them to pull a vehicle from the Cleveland area, but then they wanted me to pay $2500 and transportation fees.

This company may Make great cars, but they suck at customer service. Elon Musk should be ashamed of himself

Last year I waited 8 weeks for my M3P but I knew it was going to be 8 weeks. I would have waited 18 weeks. Communication from Tesla was outstanding last quarter, and nothing like it has been for some of you this quarter.
Seeing all your posts, it seems that it's the unknown factor AND the changing and disappearing of dates that is most irritating. You waited for 18 months for your ford but you were ok because there was less changes and unknowns.
There's no way you'd not get your car by March (and sounds like you're getting it sooner, although I don't want to jinx it for you with all the bad luck you've had!). Even if it were March though (worse case scenario), then that's 4 months, and much shorter than the 18 months you waited for your ford.

It's easy to just get mad at blame Elon Musk and/or point out all the things wrong with the process, but none of it is intentional. There isn't someone sitting in a board room going "ya know, lets make the ordering and delivery process shitty this quarter.. ". It's probably people choosing between a bunch of shitty options and choosing the leat shitty option (overall).

You're correct, there is no comparable option out there.. that's why you're getting a Tesla M3P. You're not a fool for waiting. You're a part of the growing pains of the first company to be in this situation, ever. By the time there are comparable/competitive options out there, things will be streamlined and these problems will be long gone (with new problems to fill their spot I'm sure), but it will be because of these issues now, these shitty issues, that Tesla and other companies will improve over time. So many other companies are going to have it a million times easier because Tesla paved the way.

You're clearly smart enough to recognise Tesla for what it is - you're buying the best car out there, and that there is literally no other car that comes close in value. No other car has the combination of being that fast, that safe, that tech advanced AND being able to have passengers... all for the price it's at. So why compare it to Ford or Audi in regards to the ordering process?

I really, really hope you get an amazing car with zero issues so all your future posts are about how sore your face is from the g-force acceleration and the amount of happiness it brings you!

RC10M3P:10/31 - No VIN or estimate. Orange county, CA.
jmbloom_m3P: 11/4 - NO Delivery Date but VINned
Jeffffffffff: 11/11 - VINned
c4Lvin: 12/09 - NO Delivery Date No VIN

Whoever that has an update or want to add yourself into this list is welcome. Please input with the date ordered. Just copy and paste!

Whoever that has an update or want to add yourself into this list is welcome. Please input with the date ordered. Just copy and paste!

I’ll join the fun:
Antweezey: 11/22 - No delivery date/No Vin (Bay Area)

Reactions: c4Lvin