Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there is a huge difference between a model y performance and a model 3 performance in terms of speed and feel of the drive?

I test drove a model y performance and was not impressed and I didn’t feel that the extra money for performance was worth it, not even close. This is making me reconsider taking delivery of my performance 3 - instead might just use that extra 8k to get a model s or a LR model 3.
While I can't speak about the Model Y Performance, I can about the Model 3. I have the "Stealth" version of the Performance Model 3, and I have absolutely zero regrets. Even a year and a half down the road, I still get a big grin every time I smash the electron pedal from a complete stand still.

Zero to sixty in 3.5 seconds just never gets old. Yeah, I know Tesla says 3.1 seconds, but they're cheating with the way they achieve that number. It's more like 3.3 to 3.5.

Does anyone know if there is a huge difference between a model y performance and a model 3 performance in terms of speed and feel of the drive?

I test drove a model y performance and was not impressed and I didn’t feel that the extra money for performance was worth it, not even close. This is making me reconsider taking delivery of my performance 3 - instead might just use that extra 8k to get a model s or a LR model 3.

We own on a model Y long range and my father bought a model Y performance. I have a 2021 model 3 performance.

Simply put, the car as is the case with most, handles much better than the SUV even the performance variant. It's not even close. The performance Y handles better than the long range Y, but in my opinion neither handles as well as our 2012 BMW X3 (That was a compact SUV that actually handled like a car. It was fantastic).

As far as speed, you can absolutely tell the difference between 0 to 60 in 3.1 versus 3.5. I just sold my C7 Corvette in anticipation of getting my C8. I sold it to my dad so now he has a performance Y and C7 Z51. He thinks that the performance why feels faster off the line, but I don't agree. My M3P does feel faster off the line to me but I've never done any actual tests. I do have a draggy now so maybe that's something I'll do (if my dad will let me borrow my car back).

I got my wife the speed boost for her model Y for Christmas and you can tell the difference between 4.8 and 4.2, as well. it's very noticeable.

So, here's what I would say: if you like speed and the handling of a car then you should get the M3P. If that's not important to you I would recommend that you skip the model Y performance and get the long range and add the speed boost for $2000. You will save money, have longer range, a smooth ride and the ability to lower it change springs etc. and you won't notice much difference between those two variants.

Reactions: Antweezey

For me, the big difference between the non-performance and the performance was that the performance has "chill" and "sport mode" while the non-performance has "chill" and "normal". Sport mode was reason-alone for me to buy the performance.

I test drove a LR and really disliked the toned-down accelerator. This probably comes to driving style and preference but, for me, missing sport mode is a deal-breaker.

For me, the big difference between the non-performance and the performance was that the performance has "chill" and "sport mode" while the non-performance has "chill" and "normal". Sport mode was reason-alone for me to buy the performance.

I test drove a LR and really disliked the toned-down accelerator. This probably comes to driving style and preference but, for me, missing sport mode is a deal-breaker.

Chill mode and performance mode is the difference between having faster acceleration. Once you purchase the $2000 speed boost on either the Y or the 3 the word "normal" is replaced with "sport."

It's branding, semantics and software.

Can now confirm nominal 82kWh battery. But still only showing 310 miles of topped of range. I'm sure software will deal with that.

Yep. 80.5kWh or so, so 82.1kWh nameplate capacity. Just a little patience, for the 315 rated miles and the charging rate at Superchargers. Note that if the update does not come in the next month or so, it is entirely possible your vehicle will never show 315 rated miles (due to normal capacity loss).

Chill mode and performance mode is the difference between having faster acceleration. Once you purchase the $2000 speed boost on either the Y or the 3 the word "normal" is replaced with "sport."

It's branding, semantics and software.

I wouldn't say it's semantics. It's the same with every car where "sport mode" is generally just a setting that makes the accelerator more aggressive. It's SW, not a HW thing. Prior to the latest SW update, the M3P that I test drove had Chill, Normal, and Sport modes... now they dropped Normal on the M3P. While it's just a SW change, I can say for a fact that Normal in the LR was a lot less aggressive than Sport in the M3P.

That said, I'm not surprised if buying the speed boost changes Normal to Sport (it's just SW to enable it anyway). But it's one of the 2 main reasons I bought a M3P over a LR. The other reason I went M3P was because it had a stiffer ride, which I prefer. I assume that this due to the suspension difference.

I do have one extra factor that affects my decisions - which is why, in my case, it's LR vs M3P and not LR+boost vs M3P. I'm leasing the car... so I have no interest in making after market mods (e.g. suspension) which I'll later have to remove or purchase upgrades (e.g. speed boost) which I'll take a 100% depreciation hit on when I return the car.

Reactions: dalton108
Is anyone else finding the new P zero tires to be crap compared to the PS4S in the cold? 40* out and they seem to be very hard. Driving home at 85 the other day, tires were plenty warmed up as we were 30 miles into our 50 mile drive and they felt like they needed balanced. Tire pressure at 44 warm/hot. I had PS4S on my AWD3 with stock 18" wheels over last winter and never had this issue. Pondering selling these and going with PS4S.

Is anyone else finding the new P zero tires to be crap compared to the PS4S in the cold? 40* out and they seem to be very hard. Driving home at 85 the other day, tires were plenty warmed up as we were 30 miles into our 50 mile drive and they felt like they needed balanced. Tire pressure at 44 warm/hot. I had PS4S on my AWD3 with stock 18" wheels over last winter and never had this issue. Pondering selling these and going with PS4S.

You do realize that 40F is the lowest temp the Pirellis are supposed to see, right?

They will not heat up easily and be slippery at 40F

Much below that and they can crack

Just curious of people who are still on here still waiting for a M3P order from 2020 with a ‘new delivery date’ of Feb to March 2021?
Yep. Ordered in November with a 5-7 week promise.
Got my VIN and paperwork right on time at the end of December.
Paid in full 2 days before delivery.
Hours before delivery the VIN just vanished from the website and now shows Feb-March.

I have never been able to contact anyone associated with Tesla thru any communications medium. Calls to any office in any city in California always go straight to a generic "voice mailbox is full" recording and emails to any local or regional center are simply purged by their servers. Even tried a fax, a singing telegram, and a homing pigeon but none were successful.

Elon, U up? Call me.

Yep. Ordered in November with a 5-7 week promise.
Got my VIN and paperwork right on time at the end of December.
Paid in full 2 days before delivery.
Hours before delivery the VIN just vanished from the website and now shows Feb-March.

I have never been able to contact anyone associated with Tesla thru any communications medium. Calls to any office in any city in California always go straight to a generic "voice mailbox is full" recording and emails to any local or regional center are simply purged by their servers. Even tried a fax, a singing telegram, and a homing pigeon but none were successful.

Elon, U up? Call me.

Did you ever get your money back?

Did you ever get your money back?
What? No. I clicked on the link and $60,000 vanished from my bank account. That's all I know and I have no record of any of this happening nor any way to contact anyone associated with the Tesla organization.

The order status page says my balance due is $0 so presumably I'm still in the queue and good to go. Sucks that there's no way to contact them and also sucks that they took my money for so many months, but honestly I'm a more concerned that they surely have a pile of damaged cars that didn't make the December cut and if I raise too much of a stink they'll give me some rebuilt junk instead of an updated and more carefully built Feb model.

but honestly I'm a more concerned that they surely have a pile of damaged cars that didn't make the December cut and if I raise too much of a stink they'll give me some rebuilt junk instead of an updated and more carefully built Feb model.

That is the exact reason I didn’t make too much of a stink while waiting on my car. Figured late was better than getting a disaster. Still ended up with a car with a dented trunk, but that’s the worst of it, as far as I can tell so far (been a couple of weeks).

Reactions: TBrownTX