Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you think the M3P compares to the M340 which is a beast.

Cars are a personal choice (my opinion), I had a 2014 335xi which I loved. At the end of my lease, I switched to a 2018 S4. I liked the S4, great car but kept thinking about my 335, so I decided to get a m340 last January. After having the car for a year it didn’t bring back the nostalgia I had hoped for. That being said, the car was great, I’ve always been a BMW fan - the car handled well around tight corners - the build quality was impeccable - it had more of a punch compared to prior years. I originally wanted a Model 3 Performance when Tesla first came out with it, around when I custom ordered my S4 but chickened out cause I wasn’t ready to make the EV jump. I considered it again before getting the M340 but was hoping to bring back the nostalgia of my 2014 335xi. Honestly, should have just gotten it last year - oh well we all make mistakes. Just glad I was able to get someone to pick up my lease without any incentives.

As seen with others, my dates have slipped back to March 13 - March 31 as of a few moments ago.

01-23-21 - Order placed: M3 LR AWD Performance Blue/Black
01-23-21 - Delivery date: March 13 - March 31
02-13-21 - Delivery date: February 22 - March 08
02-17-21 - Delivery date: March 13 - March 31

If the pattern holds, I should be seeing a VIN in the next week or so. SA says 3 weeks from VIN to delivery in my area.

Tim

Last edited:
As seen with others, my dates have slipped back to March 13 - March 31 as of a few moments ago.

01-11-21 - Order placed: M3 LR AWD Performance Blue/Black
01-23-21 - Delivery date: March 13 - March 31
02-13-21 - Delivery date: February 22 - March 08
02-17-21 - Delivery date: March 13 - March 31

If the pattern holds, I should be seeing a VIN in the next week or so. SA says 3 weeks from VIN to delivery in my area.

Tim
Mine stayed the same Tim, FYI. Who knows what's going on.

Reactions: TBrownTX
And just got my third, obligatory “Complete Your Pre-Delivery Tasks - Insurance” email, which I cannot do, as I have no VIN.

Tim
Mine let me do it - I'm in a state that does not require VIN. However, it does not let me proceed any further.

upload_2021-2-17_9-20-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-17_9-20-23.png
    upload_2021-2-17_9-20-23.png
    185.2 KB · Views: 45
Cars are a personal choice (my opinion), I had a 2014 335xi which I loved. At the end of my lease, I switched to a 2018 S4. I liked the S4, great car but kept thinking about my 335, so I decided to get a m340 last January. After having the car for a year it didn’t bring back the nostalgia I had hoped for. That being said, the car was great, I’ve always been a BMW fan - the car handled well around tight corners - the build quality was impeccable - it had more of a punch compared to prior years. I originally wanted a Model 3 Performance when Tesla first came out with it, around when I custom ordered my S4 but chickened out cause I wasn’t ready to make the EV jump. I considered it again before getting the M340 but was hoping to bring back the nostalgia of my 2014 335xi. Honestly, should have just gotten it last year - oh well we all make mistakes. Just glad I was able to get someone to pick up my lease without any incentives.

Not to take this way off topic, and i'd be glad to continue the conversation over pm. Totally agree cars are a personal choice. After having two model 3's and a model Y, its funny that I'm likely returning to ICE cars, which make fun noises, have personality, etc. Funny, the m340 is at the top of my list. In my opinion, its far more satisfying to drive than the tesla (and infinitely more comforting and quality feeling). If you haven't owned a tesla, the initial impression of the model 3 performance is that its going to blow you away, and will. After a year, if you want to feel more connected, and are really a big car person at heart, you'll likely wander back to the gas guzzlers. We don't often hear it on this forum (because people on this forum just stick with tesla), but I think there are more people who get rid of teslas for these reasons, than you think.

• Disagree
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Not to take this way off topic, and i'd be glad to continue the conversation over pm. Totally agree cars are a personal choice. After having two model 3's and a model Y, its funny that I'm likely returning to ICE cars, which make fun noises, have personality, etc. Funny, the m340 is at the top of my list. In my opinion, its far more satisfying to drive than the tesla (and infinitely more comforting and quality feeling). If you haven't owned a tesla, the initial impression of the model 3 performance is that its going to blow you away, and will. After a year, if you want to feel more connected, and are really a big car person at heart, you'll likely wander back to the gas guzzlers. We don't often hear it on this forum (because people on this forum just stick with tesla), but I think there are more people who get rid of teslas for these reasons, than you think.
I suspect this is happening both ways. A group of us are switching from BMW and Audi etc to Tesla (particularly the M3P) because it seems silly to leave all that performance on the table and the M3P is pound for pound the best performing car out there at 55k or less. I was down to an RS3 or the M3P and the idea of near zero maintenance, reduced fuel charges and never getting gas appealed to me and as a bonus the car performs better than an RS3. That said, I could see myself going back to an ICE after a few years in the Tesla but it will take a lot. German cars in particular are fussy and expensive to maintain. The M340 is a great car. Can’t go wrong but I will enjoy blowing the doors off of you at a red light. That never gets old even if you have a fancier interior.

I suspect this is happening both ways. A group of us are switching from BMW and Audi etc to Tesla (particularly the M3P) because it seems silly to leave all that performance on the table and the M3P is pound for pound the best performing car out there at 55k or less. I was down to an RS3 or the M3P and the idea of near zero maintenance, reduced fuel charges and never getting gas appealed to me and as a bonus the car performs better than an RS3. That said, I could see myself going back to an ICE after a few years in the Tesla but it will take a lot. German cars in particular are fussy and expensive to maintain. The M340 is a great car. Can’t go wrong but I will enjoy blowing the doors off of you at a red light. That never gets old even if you have a fancier interior.

Yes. I was you. Been there done that, no real desire to get another tesla but the "pros" are still hard to deny .... my p3d order is still active and I'm trying to decide what to do. Funny, the rs3 is the other car on my list. RS3 is "special" and "rare".... I've come to the conclusion that I REALLY value the cars you don't see all the time. I also have come to the conclusion that outright speed is not what brings enjoyment. Its the feel of the car. Thats what I'm saying - there is far more enjoyment from the overall experience of the m340 and rs3 (in my multiple test drives) vs ownership of my teslas.

You should get the p3d, just don't be surprised if you come back to the "darkside" in a year :)

Reactions: SummerlinChiro