Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car was underwhelming but I was mentally prepared because I knew how bad their QC could be. Believe it or not, I accepted the car. I already scheduled a visit for next week to try and "fix" the issues. Alignment is generally easy to fix, so I shall see if they can actually mitigate the 2nd-grade level paint job. I did not want to reject, wait for months (potentially until end of Q3) and end up with a similar sh1t-style finish. In the end, it's just a car and I have other things to worry about. Oh yeah, rear passenger door takes about 4x the normal amount of force to close, LOL.
I'm glad you accepted it. I know it wasn't easy for me, but I hope you let some of the small things go and just enjoy the car for what it is, because it can be really fun to drive. I think these types of forums get people whipped into a frenzy about QC issues and set impractical expectations. Do a higher percentage of Teslas arrive with panel misalignments and imprecise gaps compared to BMW/Audi/MB? Sure, but most of the time they are minor and only cosmetic and don't actually affect function (closing a door/trunk). And basically no cars come with good paint, except maybe a $400k+ Rolls that has paint correction performed before leaving the factory. Just watch the Chicago Auto Pros video of the amount of paint correction needed on a 200k Bentley--its paint was not good with tons of scratches, swirls, overspray, orange peel. Every car, especially in the sub-100k range has paint issues if you know what to look for. It's annoying, but it's a car--you drive it, it gets rock ships, scratches, etc. Some idiot is just as likely to put a huge scratch in it next week in a parking lot and make those issues look minor. Better to enjoy it for what it is.

I'm glad you accepted it. I know it wasn't easy for me, but I hope you let some of the small things go and just enjoy the car for what it is, because it can be really fun to drive. I think these types of forums get people whipped into a frenzy about QC issues and set impractical expectations. Do a higher percentage of Teslas arrive with panel misalignments and imprecise gaps compared to BMW/Audi/MB? Sure, but most of the time they are minor and only cosmetic and don't actually affect function (closing a door/trunk). And basically no cars come with good paint, except maybe a $400k+ Rolls that has paint correction performed before leaving the factory. Just watch the Chicago Auto Pros video of the amount of paint correction needed on a 200k Bentley--its paint was not good with tons of scratches, swirls, overspray, orange peel. Every car, especially in the sub-100k range has paint issues if you know what to look for. It's annoying, but it's a car--you drive it, it gets rock ships, scratches, etc. Some idiot is just as likely to put a huge scratch in it next week in a parking lot and make those issues look minor. Better to enjoy it for what it is.
I've never seen anything like what those pics had though... but true it's not really a function issue

Reactions: SpaceCash

This is great advice and I feel the exact same way. The car is going to show wear and tear once it hits the road and you start driving. Enjoy it. Those little chips, dings, and marks are the patina it gets from use. A friend of mine once equated a perfect vehicle to his girlfriend’s makeup. What fun is it if you can’t mess it up a little bit at the end of the night?

Tim