Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ooo. That looks about right as far as time frame goes 11 days to 6 days and then VIN# suddenly appeared 👍🏼
Hopefully you're right lol. I would love to see a vin tonight. I was worried about financing falling through as it says good for 30 days online but when I talked to them they said don't worry, because I got US bank, its good for 59 and that they don't see me getting my car past september

I didn't even think about the EDD changing in a good way. The fact that I had a slightly later EDD than other californians and it moved slightly farther before hitting the bottom end of my previous EDD would seem to suggest they have somewhat of a timeline laid out for production and delivery on my car now. Good thinking. I saw that this morning and was kind of bummed because others were having their EDD change from 9/16 to 9/19 and mine went from 9/19 to 9/24. I think you are actually probably right now that I think about the logistical side of things
Yes I think this is good news for you. I think the fact that you have a small window now suggests you will get your vehicle ahead of us that have the 9/19-9/29 window.
Good luck !

Just order last Friday evening, the 10th, M3P, Deep Blue Metallic Paint, black interior, no FSD
My EDD is at October 05 - October 25
We'll see if that changes soon.

I did take the time last night to get the garage ready for the newly ordered Tesla charger. Could only do 50 amp service though but ready for the new charger that has shipped. Yes, paint is badly needed for the garage; winter project. Got the new banner flag as well.

20210917_005506583_iOS.jpg
20210917_005509501_iOS.jpg
20210917_005532597_iOS.jpg

Hopefully you're right lol. I would love to see a vin tonight. I was worried about financing falling through as it says good for 30 days online but when I talked to them they said don't worry, because I got US bank, its good for 59 and that they don't see me getting my car past september
BTW — you know if you look at the source code behind your account management page for your Tesla, you can search for 5YJ, which is the start of all Tesla VINs. On Safari, use cmd-opt-u to view source, or it’s in the developer tab. Other browsers or Windows have a similar function. Apparently, when the VIN is assigned, it is encoded but you won’t see it in the browser until some other things happen, and long before the SA even knows.

BTW — you know if you look at the source code behind your account management page for your Tesla, you can search for 5YJ, which is the start of all Tesla VINs. On Safari, use cmd-opt-u to view source, or it’s in the developer tab. Other browsers or Windows have a similar function. Apparently, when the VIN is assigned, it is encoded but you won’t see it in the browser until some other things happen, and long before the SA even knows.
I believe tesla fixed that. I have read quite a few posts saying the VIN never showed in source code

My delivery was scheduled for 9/18 for them to bring it to my house. I got a text message today to see if I wanted to pick it up today at the SC. I prefer picking up at the SC so I decided to go there.

This was the hardest "no" I've had to mutter my entire life.

Saw too many small problems with the car. Compared it to the one that was sitting right next to it to make sure I wasn't being crazy or overly picky...nope...mine was just subpar. Apparently the end of quarter quality woes are real. I probably would have still taken it if I didn't already have experience from me 2020 M3P. I knew which problems they would attempt to fix, and which ones they would tell me was "within spec" or were bolted/welded on parts that they can't adjust.

Told the service rep I was refusing delivery. They asked me to show them what problems I had with it. Showed them most of the things I saw that were wrong and even walked them over to the "perfect" one next to it to have them see for themselves. The service rep told me they could fix the issues. Then I pointed out to them the same issues that were on my 2020 M3P that I was told were not fixable by that very SC.

In the end, I refused delivery. Glad I didn't hit that accept button in the app and glad that I went to SC to pick it up instead of it being brought to my home. I was told they would try to find me a new one with the same spec.

The wait resumes...

• Informative
Reactions: Futaba and Dag
My delivery was scheduled for 9/18 for them to bring it to my house. I got a text message today to see if I wanted to pick it up today at the SC. I prefer picking up at the SC so I decided to go there.

Saw too many small problems with the car. Compared it to the one that was sitting right next to it to make sure I wasn't being crazy or overly picky...nope...mine was just subpar. Apparently the end of quarter quality woes are real. I probably would have still taken it if I didn't already have experience from me 2020 M3P. I knew which problems they would attempt to fix, and which ones they would tell me was "within spec" or were bolted/welded on parts that they can't adjust.

Told the service rep I was refusing delivery. They asked me to show them what problems I had with it. Showed them most of the things I saw that were wrong and even walked them over to the "perfect" one next to it to have them see for themselves. The service rep told me they could fix the issues. Then I pointed out to them the same issues that were on my 2020 M3P that I was told were not fixable by that very SC.

In the end, I refused delivery. Glad I didn't hit that accept button in the app and glad that I went to SC to pick it up instead of it being brought to my home. I was told they would try to find me a new one with the same spec.

The wait resumes...
Picking mine up tomorrow. What were some of these issues you mention that could not be fixed or could be labeled 'within spec'?

Picking mine up tomorrow. What were some of these issues you mention that could not be fixed or could be labeled 'within spec'?
Rear passenger side door handle was sunk into the body by like 0.5 cm. Rear driver side door was misaligned including the trim, you could see the gap being very small toward the top and very large toward the bottom. Charge port cover was hanging out of alignment by a good 4 mm. The frunk gaps seemed unusually large, the one on the right side was larger. I thought I was being picky about the frunk gap so I looked at the M3P parked right next to mine and that one was perfect. There were a bunch of other issues that may or may not have been fixable. But I know for a fact that these things would not have been fixable because they were either deemed to be "within spec" or "bolted in and not adjustable" on my 2020 M3P.

So I told them I didn't want it.

• Informative
Reactions: Dag
Rear passenger side door handle was sunk into the body by like 0.5 cm. Rear driver side door was misaligned including the trim, you could see the gap being very small toward the top and very large toward the bottom. Charge port cover was hanging out of alignment by a good 4 mm. The frunk gaps seemed unusually large, the one on the right side was larger. I thought I was being picky about the frunk gap so I looked at the M3P parked right next to mine and that one was perfect. There were a bunch of other issues that may or may not have been fixable. But I know for a fact that these things would not have been fixable because they were either deemed to be "within spec" or "bolted in and not adjustable" on my 2020 M3P.

Appreciate the info! Will definitely be looking closely at some of these tomorrow.

This is my fear of accepting the response that the service center will fix any issues, e.g potential response of within spec or unable to fix and left with something that is not acceptable.

Sounds like you did the right thing based on your experience and we should all learn from it when reviewing our deliveries.

Can I ask why you got rid of your 2020? I would struggle to say no. As an ex mechanic I know doors are adjustable. And the handle should be able to be adjusted a little although I probably wouldn't care about that. Front should be adjustable a bit too. I would make them fix it right there and accept delivery

The wait resumes...
Thanks for writing this so we get an idea what delivery is like. Did you already pay? I read somewhere else on the forum that you don't have to pay before delivery. Is the best way to take delivery not pre pay and not sign any document until after inspection? This is so different than buying cars for regular dealers.

The wait resumes...
Sorry to hear about this. I recently had to refuse delivery on my M3P last week.

Did any of my issues match yours? Master thread: Delivery issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / problems etc)

Also - the M3P that was sitting next to your car - was it a new car waiting to be delivered? Just wondering if these quality issues affect most/all, or come in small batches.

Can I ask why you got rid of your 2020? I would struggle to say no. As an ex mechanic I know doors are adjustable. And the handle should be able to be adjusted a little although I probably wouldn't care about that. Front should be adjustable a bit too. I would make them fix it right there and accept delivery
It was totaled by a F150 doing 60 mph in a 30 mph zone. Luckily no one was hurt. I'm no mechanic, so I had to only go with my previous experience. I was told "within spec" or "no adjustable because bolted/welded in place" on my previous M3P. I did not want to risk it as I was as surprised as you when they told me that plastic charge port cover was not adjustable to align it better with the rest of the body.

Sorry to hear about this. I recently had to refuse delivery on my M3P last week.

Did any of my issues match yours? Master thread: Delivery issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / problems etc)

Also - the M3P that was sitting next to your car - was it a new car waiting to be delivered? Just wondering if these quality issues affect most/all, or come in small batches.
I was told the one sitting next to mine was their the car they use for test drives. Made me wonder if if was made perfect like that because it was a "show" car.

Thanks for writing this so we get an idea what delivery is like. Did you already pay? I read somewhere else on the forum that you don't have to pay before delivery. Is the best way to take delivery not pre pay and not sign any document until after inspection? This is so different than buying cars for regular dealers.
I had only paid the $6000 up front and signed the loan agreement. I had not accepted the delivery in the application. I would suggest that NO ONE accept deliver until they do a thorough inspection. In my experience, the quality takes a hit toward the end of the quarter. I still kept my order and they are working on trying to find me another Red/Black M3P. I waited 2 months before, I can wait more. But I'm not accepting shitty QC car, especially one that costs near $70K when all is said and done.

Reactions: Futaba
I took delivery today and was VERY happy. My wife loves it, too. The dealership was crowded, and it was almost 30 minutes after my scheduled time, but the staff was really nice, and I enjoyed talking to other new Tesla owners. One woman was upset that her new Model S had a front license tag frame. They told her it was glued on and she could remove it at home. She didn't like that answer. I told her all the S's in the parking lot had that front tag frame, and that seemed to make her happier.