Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how you guys are getting so quick :( I ordered back in Sept, M3P Silver/Black no FSD, for a while my EDD showed Nov 13th - 22nd was stoked that it should come soon. Now I am back to Nov 17th - Dec 15th. Not sure why I keep getting bumped to the back of the line, guess I am never getting this car.

Also , question, what made you move from P85D to Model 3 Performance?
I kept telling myself my next ride would be a P100D but.... when I drove a loaner 75D, I just kept thinking it felt like a boat.
Figured a P100D version of it would make me think otherwise, but I've never actually driven a Performance Model S.
Model S is a big boi and feels it compared to Model 3. The faster Model S versions...go faster. Like M3P vs M3LR, they don't handle much different besides sometimes coming with different tires and wheels. If you're sensitive to handling and want a nimble feel for corner-carving, Model 3 is a much better starting point.

Note the stock damping on a 2021 M3P or M3LR (I didn't test SR+) is atrociously bad when truly pushed hard, that needs an upgrade if you're serious about handling. Based on my test drives, I ordered Redwood Motorsports Öhlins coilovers the day after I ordered my M3P. If anyone tells you the 2021 M3P handles well out of the box, either they're not actually pushing the car hard, or their roads are all very smooth with wide turns. On tight, uneven back roads through the hills/mountains it's a mess. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the 3 though, even stock it feels way more nimble than any S. I think it's just really cheap, crappy dampers.

Source: I have a 2013 S P85 and a 2021 M3P. I've driven many newer S as loaners over the years, and other old ones in various configs when we were shopping initially. Before going all-in on electric with the S, I was into sporty cars, modding (mostly for handling & feel), occasional track days, and seeking out the twisty back roads. Now I'm getting into some of that again with the M3P. 😇 (No track days for now, and if I ever take that up again I'll probably build up an old ICE sports car for it.)

Tesla did offer a handling package on the S once, the P85+, and it was the best-handling S I've driven (if memory serves - it's been a while). But it's still a big boi. As best I can tell Tesla applied stiffer P85+ style suspension tuning to the whole S lineup when they retired the P85+ and went dual motor, but I can feel the extra weight from the 2nd motor up front, so P85+ remains the best S for handling IMO.

I haven't driven a yoke S yet, but that big, slow-turning yoke looks terrible for tight back roads, or city maneuvering for that matter. And the car is bigger than ever now (wider). It's possible the suspension is the best yet on an S, but with that yoke and the car's size it's still a cruiser bruiser, not a back road slicer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jose3030
Also , question, what made you move from P85D to Model 3 Performance?
I kept telling myself my next ride would be a P100D but.... when I drove a loaner 75D, I just kept thinking it felt like a boat.
Figured a P100D version of it would make me think otherwise, but I've never actually driven a Performance Model S.
Mostly the peace of mind of having a new, fully-warranted car versus a 6+-year-old car with far less warranty.
I chose the Performance 3 since I was used to the P85D ludicrous speed. I had test-driven a new LR and it was definitely quick, but didn't compare to the S in a straight launch.

Model S is a big boi and feels it compared to Model 3. The faster Model S versions...go faster. Like M3P vs M3LR, they don't handle much different besides sometimes coming with different tires and wheels. If you're sensitive to handling and want a nimble feel for corner-carving, Model 3 is a much better starting point.

Note the stock damping on a 2021 M3P or M3LR (I didn't test SR+) is atrociously bad when truly pushed hard, that needs an upgrade if you're serious about handling. Based on my test drives, I ordered Redwood Motorsports Öhlins coilovers the day after I ordered my M3P. If anyone tells you the 2021 M3P handles well out of the box, either they're not actually pushing the car hard, or their roads are all very smooth with wide turns. On tight, uneven back roads through the hills/mountains it's a mess. I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with the 3 though, even stock it feels way more nimble than any S. I think it's just really cheap, crappy dampers.

Source: I have a 2013 S P85 and a 2021 M3P. I've driven many newer S as loaners over the years, and other old ones in various configs when we were shopping initially. Before going all-in on electric with the S, I was into sporty cars, modding (mostly for handling & feel), occasional track days, and seeking out the twisty back roads. Now I'm getting into some of that again with the M3P. 😇 (No track days for now, and if I ever take that up again I'll probably build up an old ICE sports car for it.)

Tesla did offer a handling package on the S once, the P85+, and it was the best-handling S I've driven (if memory serves - it's been a while). But it's still a big boi. As best I can tell Tesla applied stiffer P85+ style suspension tuning to the whole S lineup when they retired the P85+ and went dual motor, but I can feel the extra weight from the 2nd motor up front, so P85+ remains the best S for handling IMO.

I haven't driven a yoke S yet, but that big, slow-turning yoke looks terrible for tight back roads, or city maneuvering for that matter. And the car is bigger than ever now (wider). It's possible the suspension is the best yet on an S, but with that yoke and the car's size it's still a cruiser bruiser, not a back road slicer.
To follow up on this, I literally wouldn't trade my new M3P for a Plaid straight up except to sell the Plaid and get another M3P. That's just me though, ultimately I crave handling and driving feel much more than crazy straight-line acceleration. After not having anything like a nimble car for so many years, I'm super stoked about my M3P's potential. (Now I would love a new MSLR or MSPlaid *alongside* the M3P....that would be a sweet combo. ;) Not in my budget though, sticking with our old P85 as long as it keeps running!)

Big power is everywhere these days, M3P is already plenty of power for me, but EVs with real handling potential and any sense of nimbleness are much more rare. All you need to do is look at curb weights and you'll realize the Model 3 is probably still the best EV starting point for handling, even though it's not the best out of the box.

Last edited:
Had my order on pause for many months (ordered May 2021) waiting on this tax credit. Not sure if it passes at all AND if it does, looks to exclude the M3P. I'm done thinking and worrying about it. So on 11/2, I hit "I'm Ready" on my account. This morning, I have a VIN assigned (2021 model) and a delivery date of 11/7-11/13. Giddy up!
Wow that was fast. I guess somehow the hold still kept you pretty far up in the line.

Its funny--I lurked on this forum so much before I placed my order. "I won't be one of those obsessives," I told my wife. "They just don't understand, the prediction doesn't mean anything, it changes all the time."

Oh man, then you put in your order. Now checking that dang app is what I do first thing before I wake up and last thing before I go to bed. With about thirty checks in between.

10/21 ordered a red over white M3P. The window was originally 11/13-12/11 or something like that.
Finally had a change to 11/19-12/2 which is great, but what's the deal with all of these jokers who ordered after me already getting a VIN! NO FAIR!

I was originally waiting for Q1 (new tax bill, I didn't want to order at the end of a quarter particularly Q4 and have them rush through my build) but the first 1K price jump then only one month of connectivity free made me pull the trigger and I don't regret it. I doubt the M3P will qualify for any rebates but I'm glad I'll have a 2022 VIN anyway.

I already have four winter tires waiting in the garage and I've got the TST from Tsportline on (back)order, can't wait to get the VIN so I can get the TPMS too.

ONLY 1 week away from taking Delivery (11/15) of my new 2022 M3P White on Black ( ordered 10/26) I checked my app at least 20 times a day to make sure it is what it is and so far its been that. fingers crossed maybe I get it sooner than that Monday. I have all my parts I've pre ordered before the car got here so I can slap them on!

Reactions: gutom and tm1v2
ONLY 1 week away from taking Delivery (11/15) of my new 2022 M3P White on Black ( ordered 10/26) I checked my app at least 20 times a day to make sure it is what it is and so far its been that. fingers crossed maybe I get it sooner than that Monday. I have all my parts I've pre ordered before the car got here so I can slap them on!
What parts do you have? I need a bad influence for when mine arrives 😂

Hello everyone, joined the M3P EDD VIN waiting list this morning. Long story - been waiting for my May MSLR order with seemingly no end in sight, so I decided to see how much I can get for my 5.5 month old M3LR. Seems that with the new ev credit, resale value next year would not be strong and this would be a good time to sell.

Carmax offered more than everything I had paid for on the M3LR including tax, acceleration boost, tint and front ppf. So it will be sold this week.

With M3LR to be sold, I Resurrected an old reservation on M3P last night. And my M3P EDD magically appeared this morning: 11/8 - 11/20.

I see some folks received 2022 VIN. Fingers crossed that I will also see NF VIN soon.

Reactions: tm1v2
Hello everyone, joined the M3P EDD VIN waiting list this morning. Long story - been waiting for my May MSLR order with seemingly no end in sight, so I decided to see how much I can get for my 5.5 month old M3LR. Seems that with the new ev credit, resale value next year would not be strong and this would be a good time to sell.

Carmax offered more than everything I had paid for on the M3LR including tax, acceleration boost, tint and front ppf. So it will be sold this week.

With M3LR to be sold, I Resurrected an old reservation on M3P last night. And my M3P EDD magically appeared this morning: 11/8 - 11/20.

I see some folks received 2022 VIN. Fingers crossed that I will also see NF VIN soon.
What was your carmax offer on your M3LR? I've got a 21 LR with 25k miles and been offered 53k from a local dealership but I've yet to get an offer from Carmax. How many miles were on yours?

I'm also upgrading from a LR to a M3P in red/black. Ordered 11/3, EDD was first December, but now it is showing 1/11 - 2/8... even this morning the build configuration on Teslas website showed November ETA for a performance ordered today... im hoping my EDD will change here soon, I'd really love a Black Friday purchase!

What was your carmax offer on your M3LR? I've got a 21 LR with 25k miles and been offered 53k from a local dealership but I've yet to get an offer from Carmax. How many miles were on yours?

I'm also upgrading from a LR to a M3P in red/black. Ordered 11/3, EDD was first December, but now it is showing 1/11 - 2/8... even this morning the build configuration on Teslas website showed November ETA for a performance ordered today... im hoping my EDD will change here soon, I'd really love a Black Friday purchase!
57k. Less than 3k. Hope you get your delivery soon!

Reactions: KGinCO