Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a call from my local service center telling me my car arrived a little early and asked if I wanted to pick it up today instead of tomorrow. However, we have a bit of snow on the ground and the temps are in the teens and the tire shop could not squeeze me in today so I am going to do the smart thing and wait until tomorrow and get it to the tire shop immediately after to get the tires changed out to all-season ones. As much as I want to go get it, I just cannot in good conscience drive it 90ish miles with those damn summer P-Zero tires.

Reactions: SPACE_EX
Just got a call from my local service center telling me my car arrived a little early and asked if I wanted to pick it up today instead of tomorrow. However, we have a bit of snow on the ground and the temps are in the teens and the tire shop could not squeeze me in today so I am going to do the smart thing and wait until tomorrow and get it to the tire shop immediately after to get the tires changed out to all-season ones. As much as I want to go get it, I just cannot in good conscience drive it 90ish miles with those damn summer P-Zero tires.
How bad are the summer tires? Also how much do winter tires cost? Wasn’t planning on it but may need to get winters…

Also, I got a text this morning from Tesla asking if I want to trade in my current car. Not sure if that means anything but hopefully means it’s close.

How bad are the summer tires? Also how much do winter tires cost? Wasn’t planning on it but may need to get winters…

Also, I got a text this morning from Tesla asking if I want to trade in my current car. Not sure if that means anything but hopefully means it’s close.
From what I have read, the summer tires are great when it is warm outside but are not recommended when the temp is below 40F. I am getting the Continental Extreme Contact All-Season tire. I believe it will be around $1,300 for everything (i.e. tires, balance, TPMS Service). I could have gotten them a little cheaper at Discount Tire but they did not have them in stock and could not get me in to have the swap done the same day as I am picking the car up so I am going to Les Schwab.

How bad are the summer tires?
They're not bad - just not designed for use in cold temperatures/on snow and ice/etc.

Per Pirelli's limited warranty document for passenger car and light truck tires, it appears that 45 degrees F is the magic number:

4. UHP Summer Tires
The special tread compounds formulated for Ultra High Performance (UHP) summer tires are optimized for maximum dry and wet performance in warm temperatures. The compounds in these tires will have decreased performance, such as lateral and braking traction, at temperatures below 45° F (7°C) or when driving on snow or ice. In addition, they can lose flexibility and may develop random surface cracks at very cold temperatures; therefore extra care should be used in handling tires. All Season or winter tires should be installed for use at temperatures below 45° F (7°C), UHP summer tires are not recommended for lower temperature conditions.

Reactions: jsordelet
Not sure it means much. I received that same text 3.5 weeks ago (the most recent text I received from Tesla) and have not yet gotten a VIN.
Unfortunate. It's the first time they've reached out since my order a month ago so thought it maybe meant something. Either way I replied with a no and asked if there's an update on delivery so hopefully the SA will provide some kind of information.

Nope, mine is still sitting at 12/27 - 12/31 too. Last time my EDD overlapped with the current date, it didn't change until the next morning.
You'll likely either get your VIN or get a new EDD tomorrow. The EDD tends to update once the first day passes for almost everyone i've seen.

Something i've also noticed is Tesla pushes out a ton of VINs on Tuesdays for some reason. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I guess we will see. My guess is either you get your VIN tomorrow or get booted into who knows when. Best of luck though!

You'll likely either get your VIN or get a new EDD tomorrow. The EDD tends to update once the first day passes for almost everyone i've seen.

Something i've also noticed is Tesla pushes out a ton of VINs on Tuesdays for some reason. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I guess we will see. My guess is either you get your VIN tomorrow or get booted into who knows when. Best of luck though!
You're right, I got my VIN on a Tuesday, maybe you'll get yours tomorrow :)

So I just got a text saying they expect my car to be built in the next 2-3 days and it prompted me to set up a delivery appointment. The only odd thing was the delivery location in the text message wasn't where I chose, but it showed the correct location on the actual website that the link sent me. I hadn't seen anyone here get a delivery appointment before a vin, is that common?

So I just got a text saying they expect my car to be built in the next 2-3 days and it prompted me to set up a delivery appointment. The only odd thing was the delivery location in the text message wasn't where I chose, but it showed the correct location on the actual website that the link sent me. I hadn't seen anyone here get a delivery appointment before a vin, is that common?
I don't think I've seen that with recent deliveries, but this may be an end of the quarter/year thing as they try to schedule out their end of the year deliveries while also planning out their cars. It might be also part of giving people more time and heads up of delivery schedules and/or who may not be able to pick up their car by the end of the year/quarter.