Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you like it compared to your Evo? I have an Evo 9 I've had for 10 years, getting my model 3 tomorrow but am super hesitant to get rid of my Evo, the thing is a part of me at this point.
The acceleration is out of this world compared to the Evo, even when boost was turned up. Very low cog and AWD reminds me of the Evo (I had a X). I miss modding but other than that, this is a better car with a better ride.

Reactions: NoFear99354
So, to expand on the story a bit. I ordered in January of 2020, fully intending to take delivery in the intended time frame (3-4 months). As everyone knows March of 2020 changed everything, and Tesla reached out mid March to say they had a car ready fro me. I asked to delay, because of the uncertainty and was granted that (mainly because of covid). After that I heard back from Tesla in early 2021, and at that point let Tesla know I plan on making a purchase in the second half of 2021. They then put my order on hold till Jan 1, 2022. I began the process to take delivery in October 2021 but had to track down a copy of the title to my car since I was trading it in (long story...). Early December I completed all pre-delivery tasks (minus paying) and was first given a delivery estimate of Dec 19-31. I received an email saying that my order would be canceled unless I updated pricing on December 19, and at the same time my estimate slipped to Jan 1-29. I called Tesla multiple times in this time period and received contradicting advice, with two people saying that I'm in the queue to receive a VIN, so I decided to just wait...and then on the 22nd my order was automatically canceled with no notification or record of being canceled.

The thing that frustrates me is the car cost the same from Jan 2020 to Oct 2021, and only recently went up the extra 2k.
Well, if you documented the calls, as in who you talked to and what they told you, then it seems to me you can complain and maybe they'll reinstate your reservation. However, can you explain what you think they meant by "unless I updated pricing on December 19". Were they telling you that you couldn't get the car at the 2020 price any more?

As a data point, I got the "ultimatum" in November for a Model Y order I made in October, 2019: accept delivery by December 2 or it will be canceled. I had put it off multiple times because I wasn't driving much due to the pandemic. Tesla's always been fine with putting off purchases -- you'll remember they've advocated putting in a reservation in order to lock in FSD pricing before increases. Anyway, I accepted delivery and was given an estimated delivery date of March-April 2022, which suited me fine.

But on Dec. 24 I got the VIN assigned message, with delivery scheduled on Dec. 26-30. That was not what I wanted, but as putting it on hold again would (according to the ultimatum) result in the order being canceled, I took delivery yesterday. The price was $11K less than if I ordered one today, so I can't complain. Paying $6K instead of $10K for FSD was a part of that.

But in the hurried run-up to taking delivery, the VIN was unassigned and then reassigned, delivery times were changed multiple times, estimated delivery was moved back out to March and then pulled in again. Pretty chaotic. And it was clear that nobody there talked to anybody else there.

So if you are convinced they made a mistake, then I suggest you wait until after the end of quarter craziness, give them a week to catch up on sleep, and then see if you can get them to fix their mistake. As to "legal basis" forget it. Tesla will try to be nice and do what they said they would do, if you are polite and pleasant and have reasonable evidence. Best would be to go in to a showroom and interact face to face, as they're always more helpful in person. Best of luck!

Well, if you documented the calls, as in who you talked to and what they told you, then it seems to me you can complain and maybe they'll reinstate your reservation. However, can you explain what you think they meant by "unless I updated pricing on December 19". Were they telling you that you couldn't get the car at the 2020 price any more?

As a data point, I got the "ultimatum" in November for a Model Y order I made in October, 2019: accept delivery by December 2 or it will be canceled. I had put it off multiple times because I wasn't driving much due to the pandemic. Tesla's always been fine with putting off purchases -- you'll remember they've advocated putting in a reservation in order to lock in FSD pricing before increases. Anyway, I accepted delivery and was given an estimated delivery date of March-April 2022, which suited me fine.

But on Dec. 24 I got the VIN assigned message, with delivery scheduled on Dec. 26-30. That was not what I wanted, but as putting it on hold again would (according to the ultimatum) result in the order being canceled, I took delivery yesterday. The price was $11K less than if I ordered one today, so I can't complain. Paying $6K instead of $10K for FSD was a part of that.

But in the hurried run-up to taking delivery, the VIN was unassigned and then reassigned, delivery times were changed multiple times, estimated delivery was moved back out to March and then pulled in again. Pretty chaotic. And it was clear that nobody there talked to anybody else there.

So if you are convinced they made a mistake, then I suggest you wait until after the end of quarter craziness, give them a week to catch up on sleep, and then see if you can get them to fix their mistake. As to "legal basis" forget it. Tesla will try to be nice and do what they said they would do, if you are polite and pleasant and have reasonable evidence. Best would be to go in to a showroom and interact face to face, as they're always more helpful in person. Best of luck!
Thanks for the data point! I completely agree with reaching out after the end of quarter craziness.

A bit disappointed to see that my VIN has an "M" in the 10th digit, meaning I got a 2021. I imagine this means it was someone else's refusal or cancellation. Oh well, it was a bit optimistic to hope that I'd have a chance at some of the new features. At least I'm finally getting it...
You never know! And you can always refuse delivery if the new MCU matters a lot to you. Would you mind letting us know the first 4 numbers of the last 6 digits of your vin? I'm curious if it's after 1380XX.

You never know! And you can always refuse delivery if the new MCU matters a lot to you. Would you mind letting us know the first 4 numbers of the last 6 digits of your vin? I'm curious if it's after 1380XX.
Don't really care about the new MCU that much, the current one has been fine on my Model Y. Just always like to have the newest and shiniest bits...

My VIN isn't after 1380XX, which is no surprise because my understanding is that it would need to be a 2022 model (i.e. N in the 10th character) to have a number that high.

The last six digits of my VIN are 0865##

• Informative
Reactions: DVM3P
Alright picking up my car tonight.

Checked the website this morning and there was a red/white performance just sitting in Seattle. I had blue/white but red/white was my second choice so not too big of a deal.

Gave them a call and asked why the car is available. Said wasn’t rejected or anything and literally just arrived the day prior. I also asked about my current config and was told MAYBE end of January now.

The processor was a question but I’m not waiting a few more months with my current cars clutch slipping. I’ll just upgrade it later if it’s such a big difference.

Anyways, there’s my speed run lol.

Alright picking up my car tonight.

Checked the website this morning and there was a red/white performance just sitting in Seattle. I had blue/white but red/white was my second choice so not too big of a deal.

Gave them a call and asked why the car is available. Said wasn’t rejected or anything and literally just arrived the day prior. I also asked about my current config and was told MAYBE end of January now.

The processor was a question but I’m not waiting a few more months with my current cars clutch slipping. I’ll just upgrade it later if it’s such a big difference.

Anyways, there’s my speed run lol.
Nice! Well, you may not have gotten your VIN the old fashion way but hell, you got one now!

I have been on cloud nine for the past 24 hours. I picked up my MYP yesterday and am simply blown away with it. The delivery experience was great, I showed up on time and they promptly brought the paperwork inside (it was around 10 degrees outside), I signed 3 things, and we went to the car to look it over. I moved quickly due to the cold but I was still paying close attention and the only thing I noticed is the hood gap on the left is ever so slightly narrower than on the right side. Of course, they said it was within spec and I did not argue the point as it is so freaking minute. They we kind enough to have warmed the car up so that it wasn't freezing when I got inside of it. The advisor walked me through the phone key setup, setting up my driver profile, etc. The first thing I noticed when I got in was that it had the most recent software already installed (v11). This excited me because I was not looking forward to learning the previous version just to have it be updated in a month or so. Personally, I like the new UI but do not have any basis for comparison as many others do. All in all, great experience. All told, it was exactly 5 weeks from order to delivery.

Reactions: M3PCanada