Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Argggh got a flat this morning! Thankfully I was just down the street from my office. I was driving 40mph. I didn't hit a pothole, so not sure on how it blew out. I got a warning to pull over and check for a flat. It was the rear right tire. I called 5 places and found a tire shop that had it in stock, otherwise it was a 3-7 day wait to order.

Called up Tesla Roadside service after and scheduled a tow to a local tire shop. The lady on the phone wasn't too friendly and seemed offended that I didn't want to tow it to a Tesla service center.

Going to buy a modern spare and a 12v air compressor to be on the safe side incase this happens again.
Sorry to hear about that for you. I am close to convinced now to order all season tires and flow forged wheels a few months earlier than present plans. Inability to decide on which tires is hindering me. 🤣

Reactions: Panel Gaps
239xxx. VIN received 4/25 scheduled delivery date was 5/5-8 (I picked 5/6). On 5/2 I was notified there was a delay due to weather. Since then nothing except literally was told “you will get the car when it gets here, it has to go through QA”. I then texted back just asking if the QA delay was due to a missing part or other issue with the car. Zero response back. Then I emailed that exact question and was told “we will let you know when you can come pickup your car“. No dates, no explanation. Nothing else.

I live in another state and have work travel coming up, so you can see where this is heading. I will miss my three day window to pickup the car, and then another long wait. Which means I also lose my finance rate since rates have increased.

It’s why I’m now trying to look into other brands an options. If this is how Tesla operates I’m not sure I trust them if the vehicle has issues and needs service.
So I got phone call from local Tesla delivery team around the same time May 2-3 that my car will not be delivered May 8th as scheduled because of missing part. But on end car came complete so maybe the car was missing a part but instead of shipping the car with missing part to Rhode Island, they delayed the shipping and complete the car at the factory. It's just my speculation because later on my SA said that the car is coming complete and doesn't miss anything. I hope it's the same case for you and it's just delayed shipping.

Sorry to hear about that for you. I am close to convinced now to order all season tires and flow forged wheels a few months earlier than present plans. Inability to decide on which tires is hindering me. 🤣
The Michelin Pilot Sport all season tires are awesome. Conti DSw06 are good too. Michelin would be my first choice.

Argggh got a flat this morning! Thankfully I was just down the street from my office. I was driving 40mph. I didn't hit a pothole, so not sure on how it blew out. I got a warning to pull over and check for a flat. It was the rear right tire. I called 5 places and found a tire shop that had it in stock, otherwise it was a 3-7 day wait to order.

Called up Tesla Roadside service after and scheduled a tow to a local tire shop. The lady on the phone wasn't too friendly and seemed offended that I didn't want to tow it to a Tesla service center.

Going to buy a modern spare and a 12v air compressor to be on the safe side incase this happens again.
What happened to the tire?

The Michelin Pilot Sport all season tires are awesome. Conti DSw06 are good too. Michelin would be my first choice.
That is where I am at in my evaluation also. Michelin's minus stuff for me is how long they might last and if they will meet might needs for Winter driving (same area as you, I am in CT). Also, there is a possibility that a version 5 AWS might be released. Conti, I wonder if I will be satisfied with them for spiriting driving.
Then there is the rim size choice.

That is where I am at in my evaluation also. Michelin's minus stuff for me is how long they might last and if they will meet might needs for Winter driving (same area as you, I am in CT). Also, there is a possibility that a version 5 AWS might be released. Conti, I wonder if I will be satisfied with them for spiriting driving.
Then there is the rim size choice.

Having owned and driven both in CT (Contis on a VW Golf R) and Michelin on a C7 Corvette, I would say the Michelins are definitely the tire to get for performance. For winter driving they were fine for me, but I’m in Avon/Simsbury where they keep the roads clear Very well. The Conti tires are better for winter but not as good for performance. I think it will be a give and take. Im keeping the summer tires and getting a set of dedicated winter tires and and just swapping. At least for now. 18” - 19” wheel has lots of options and are lighter. I’m doing some track days so eventually want 18”

Sorry you got a flat already PG.... Damn, you must've got a nail or something in the tire. At least you don't have barely any miles on the tires, so the replacement won't be an issue.

So is the general consensus to ultimately get rid of the 20" Uberturbine wheels and downsize to 18" or 19" on the M3P ? Wouldn't doing this leave a huge gap between tire and fender if you don't lower the car?

Generally you beef up the tire profile simultaneously so the overall diameter stays the same.

Well I tried again to try to figure out what is going on with my car (was supposed to take delivery last week). I can't get a straight answer. "You will get the car when you get that car, it has to go through our QA process". They can't give me a delivery window., I don't know what QA process takes 8 days. So I think either mine shipped with a missing part and they are waiting or it, or the car was damaged in transit and it's getting body work done. Either way nobody will tell me and I am starting to get pissed with the poor communication.

So I started reaching out to BMW dealers today and I may have secured an incoming M3 Xdrive with almost the exact options I wanted. I will confirm tomorrow and if that is the case will be putting down a deposit and will start the process of getting my money back from Tesla (I placed a large deposit when I was told the car was ready to be picked up in 2 days). So somebody might get lucky and get an M3P (unless it was damaged and repaired, then not sure how lucky you are).

Before you cancel get some quotes from online buyers. They quoted me 66,250 for mine and then emailed me a few days later trying to offer more. The total cost was 60,527 so add in another $3800 for tax and I would still come out ahead. Your results may differ depending on your vehicle tax rate.

So I just got a call back from the local SA I spoke too when I did a test drive the day I ordered. He was able to give me way more info that makes me feel a little more optimistic. He says that my car currently is expected to leave the factory May 19th. He said I should expect my VIN assignment by May 17th at the latest. My car should include mobile connector and he went out and verified there was one included in a vehicle set for delivery today. He also read me the Tesla email stating all orders prior to 4/17 with receive the complimentary charger included.

Well, that's promising. Hope it's based on real info and not just the SA making up a story. 😅

It’s really frustrating. I have the same OD as you and my EDD was 5/5-5/19. Received VIN 4/25, pickup at Colma, EDD switched to TBD on 5/5 and the SA hasn’t been able to give me any time window at all for two weeks now other than it’s ready and I’ll get a text soon.

That's really frustrating, sorry to hear that. If I was in your shoes I'd be going crazy, and would probably be calling them every day! It's like they expect you to put your life on hold until they deliver the car, especially having a VIN!

Reactions: Justin k
What happened to the tire?

Turns out it was a puncture on the inner side of the tire. I do remember hearing some noise but it sounded like rocks hitting the underside of the car for like a second. So what ever it was, it punctured my tire.

Sorry you got a flat already PG.... Damn, you must've got a nail or something in the tire. At least you don't have barely any miles on the tires, so the replacement won't be an issue.
Thanks. I ended up buying the tire but plan to get reimbursed by Pirelli. I read on this forum that the tires do have a one year hazard warranty on them. Tire wasn't cheap, $454.06 out the door. I probably could have got the tire cheaper but I didn't want to wait 3-7 days for it to be ordered. I also bought a warranty for all 4 tires from Americas Tire. They will replace the tire if it's not patchable. I think it was $220 for that.

Reactions: Maric
Turns out it was a puncture on the inner side of the tire. I do remember hearing some noise but it sounded like rocks hitting the underside of the car for like a second. So what ever it was, it punctured my tire.

Thanks. I ended up buying the tire but plan to get reimbursed by Pirelli. I read on this forum that the tires do have a one year hazard warranty on them. Tire wasn't cheap, $454.06 out the door. I probably could have got the tire cheaper but I didn't want to wait 3-7 days for it to be ordered. I also bought a warranty for all 4 tires from Americas Tire. They will replace the tire if it's not patchable. I think it was $220 for that.
Gotcha. That sucks.

I wish I could buy those road hazard warranties here in Canada. I don't know of anywhere that offers it here.