Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1652960107202.gif

I just have some doubts as I’m already in my second two week window. Here’s hoping! Hoping for VIN soon.
They seem to come in big batches. I and a boatload of others got them yesterday.

The whole Tesla ordering process needs a major major revamp!! It shouldn't prompt us during the initial ordering to apply for credit. I know better now to select cash purchase, then switch it once the VIN is issued. But no first time customers ordering know this and it's hurting our credit having two hard credit pulls. So I one upped Tesla and the lender, I'm paying cash now...

Sold my 2019 Camaro today - EDD is next week as it is currently on a train in Texas. No scheduled delivery date yet though. Reaching out to my SA today to see if they can give a better update. Also asking if they have a loaner they will let me use for 4 or 5 days until mine shows up! Figure it will be a no but can't hurt to ask!

4th EDD change today. Not really surprising seeing I was a few days away from the window and no VIN number. It's crazy how fluid their delivery windows are. I imagine this is due to Tesla constantly moving vehicles around based on destination rather than using a first in, first out approach to orders that is typically used by legacy automakers.

M3P, Red, White Interior, No FSD
OD: 03/22
EDD 1: May 30 - July 11
EDD 2: May 26 - June 30
EDD 3: May 21 - June 18
EDD 4: June 1 - June 15

4th EDD change today. Not really surprising seeing I was a few days away from the window and no VIN number. It's crazy how fluid their delivery windows are. I imagine this is due to Tesla constantly moving vehicles around based on destination rather than using a first in, first out approach to orders that is typically used by legacy automakers.

M3P, Red, White Interior, No FSD
OD: 03/22
EDD 1: May 30 - July 11
EDD 2: May 26 - June 30
EDD 3: May 21 - June 18
EDD 4: June 1 - June 15
Tesla’s approach is inferior imo

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I would rather this than a typical dealer experience right now. There’s been first hand accounts here where people ordered their cars at different dealers here and don’t hear anything for 4-6 months (or more).
With dealers it always comes down to allocations. Larger, better performing dealers get higher allocations so if you order a popular car from a dealer like that there's a good chance you could get your car before someone that ordered before you from a dealer with less allocations. However since we are dealing with Tesla directly, that middle man element should be removed but it appears that with Tesla the middle man element is replaced by delivery destination as it appears certain areas of the country get priority for strategic reasons likely linked to how many vehicles they can deliver by quarter end.

With dealers it always comes down to allocations. Larger, better performing dealers get higher allocations so if you order a popular car from a dealer like that there's a good chance you could get your car before someone that ordered before you from a dealer with less allocations. However since we are dealing with Tesla directly, that middle man element should be removed but it appears that Tesla the middle man element is replaced by delivery destination as it appears certain areas of the country get priority for strategic reasons likely linked to how many vehicles they can deliver by quarter end.
Bottom line is both companies want to make money. Dealers take some of the money away from the consumer as profit. Tesla hopefully takes some of that profit and puts more of it into R&D\improvements as they still have a bigger slice of a pie since they don’t have to take a cut from the dealerships.

I would rather this than a typical dealer experience right now. There’s been first hand accounts here where people ordered their cars at different dealers here and don’t hear anything for 4-6 months (or more).
Yep. Right here. For me it was Ford, on a Focus RS, back in 2016 when the model first became available for sale in the US. It was 9 months of waiting with almost no info at all for the duration, and there was a not insignificant deposit of cash involved to place the order.

This has been a better experience so far. My scheduled delivery date (if it holds true) will actually end up being within the first EDD window I received after I ordered my M3P. Granted, it's still well beyond the "April" estimate that was on the ordering page before I submitted my order, but still, it's not 9 months.

VIN: 5YJ3E1ECXNF247XXX

Order Details: M3P, MSM, Black Interior, No FSD
Delivery Location: Memphis, TN
03-05-22: Ordered (April delivery estimate on website)
03-05-22: EDD 1: 05-09-22 to 06-06-22 (4 weeks)
04-20-22: EDD 2: 05-29-22 to 07-03-22 (5 weeks)
04-25-22: EDD 3: 05-31-22 to 06-28-22 (4 weeks)
04-29-22: EDD 4: 05-13-22 to 05-26-22 (2 weeks)
05-05-22: EDD 5: 05-21-22 to 05-25-22 (5 days)
05-05-22: VIN assigned text received
05-05-22: Insurance info uploaded
05-06-22: Got intro text from local store ops manager
05-09-22: Ops manager confirmed: Build date 05-05-22
05-10-22: EDD 6: 05-26-22 to 05-30-22 (5 days)
05-11-22: Ops manager confirmed: ECU is not missing
05-13-22: EDD 7: 05-29-22 to 06-02-22 (5 days)
05-16-22: Delivery text/email received! Options of 05-26-22 to 05-28-22
05-17-22: Ops manager confirmed: Vehicle arrival expected 05-24-22
05-17-22: Ops manager scheduled delivery: 05-30-22

They seem to come in big batches. I and a boatload of others got them yesterday.

The whole Tesla ordering process needs a major major revamp!! It shouldn't prompt us during the initial ordering to apply for credit. I know better now to select cash purchase, then switch it once the VIN is issued. But no first time customers ordering know this and it's hurting our credit having two hard credit pulls. So I one upped Tesla and the lender, I'm paying cash now...
Selecting cash for purchase does not affect delivery date of the car.

Yep. Right here. For me it was Ford, on a Focus RS, back in 2016 when the model first became available for sale in the US. It was 9 months of waiting with almost no info at all for the duration, and there was a not insignificant deposit of cash involved to place the order.

This has been a better experience so far. My scheduled delivery date (if it holds true) will actually end up being within the first EDD window I received after I ordered my M3P. Granted, it's still well beyond the "April" estimate that was on the ordering page before I submitted my order, but still, it's not 9 months.

VIN: 5YJ3E1ECXNF247XXX

Order Details: M3P, MSM, Black Interior, No FSD
Delivery Location: Memphis, TN
03-05-22: Ordered (April delivery estimate on website)
03-05-22: EDD 1: 05-09-22 to 06-06-22 (4 weeks)
04-20-22: EDD 2: 05-29-22 to 07-03-22 (5 weeks)
04-25-22: EDD 3: 05-31-22 to 06-28-22 (4 weeks)
04-29-22: EDD 4: 05-13-22 to 05-26-22 (2 weeks)
05-05-22: EDD 5: 05-21-22 to 05-25-22 (5 days)
05-05-22: VIN assigned text received
05-05-22: Insurance info uploaded
05-06-22: Got intro text from local store ops manager
05-09-22: Ops manager confirmed: Build date 05-05-22
05-10-22: EDD 6: 05-26-22 to 05-30-22 (5 days)
05-11-22: Ops manager confirmed: ECU is not missing
05-13-22: EDD 7: 05-29-22 to 06-02-22 (5 days)
05-16-22: Delivery text/email received! Options of 05-26-22 to 05-28-22
05-17-22: Ops manager confirmed: Vehicle arrival expected 05-24-22
05-17-22: Ops manager scheduled delivery: 05-30-22
Congrats on the near delivery! Memorial Day of all things. When I did European Delivery with my BMW, I dropped the car off in Nice, France and didn’t hear about it for 3.5 months. When the car was finally in the port, my dealer contacted me three times. Once when it was in port, once when it was about to be delivered for pickup, and a last time to schedule delivery.

I think EDD dates make some people unnecessarily anxious. I’ll get it when I get it.

Congrats on the near delivery! Memorial Day of all things. When I did European Delivery with my BMW, I dropped the car off in Nice, France and didn’t hear about it for 3.5 months. When the car was finally in the port, my dealer contacted me three times. Once when it was in port, once when it was about to be delivered for pickup, and a last time to schedule delivery.

I think EDD dates make some people unnecessarily anxious. I’ll get it when I get it.
Agree. I think we all (me included) look at the first date on each EDD and are hopeful that is our delivery date. If I look back, my first EDD said May 2022. I had 6 more updates with various ranges. Finally have a VIN and expected delivery of 6/4- 6/7, which is within one week of initial EDD. Setting your own expectations and not letting the changes impact how you feel about it are difficult. I think at the end of the day I'd prefer how it is done by Tesla in comparison to other dealerships. My son ordered a Tacoma which was supposedly already in production - they said 8 weeks. Didn't get ANY information at all. Ended up getting it in about 16 weeks later. I ordered a Maverick last November and have had ZERO updates yet. I guess for some, not knowing is better than a date that keeps changing. For me, it's not. I also acknowledge there are some with unique circumstances (i.e. charge port), but IMHO that is not something that "normally" happens. I may be wrong. Anyway, that's my .02 cents worth and every situation is different. Some people seem to be really getting screwed with the VIN/Charge port issue. My perspective may be different if I was in that situation.

Reactions: Not That M3
My original order and EDD had a late March delivery date. It was pretty obvious that was not going to happen early on and to my SA's credit he told me not to expect this but he fully expected a mid to late April delivery. That turned into a later May delivery and I will say communication was very lacking (I know I complained about it a lot here).

Even with those frustrations though I will say the communication was way better than what I have experienced in the past with both Ford and Chevy buying some of their more expensive sports cars. The Focus RS I ordered randomly showed up about 10 months after I ordered it with no warning and then the dealer decided to add a $15K dealer markup that was not on the original contract. It really pissed me off and I walked away.

I waited 6+ months (with zero communication) on a C8 order and was told my car would be the next allocation batch (2021 model year) and then GM pulled the rug on all remaining 2021 allocations and I was bumped to a 2022 and told instead of getting my car in June/July it would likely be November/December and the price went up (there is no price protection). I walked again.