Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesbros has some kits to delete the wood grain.
That is what i did, i got matric black to cover all the stupid wood. Going to install it after my dash rattle service appointment.

I did install the plaid console wrap already...
20220519_154327.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like we need a post delivery Tesla noob thread to discuss things.

For recent delivery folks, I'm charging off a 30A 14-30 dryer outlet, and when charging the breaker got hot. Not burning, no smell, no noise, but at the cusp of being uncomfortable. I'm a little worried since the house and the panel are from, well, the late 70s. I just got a laser infared thermometer so I'll measure how hot it gets next time I charge. Which I'm doing as soon as I wake up, rather than overnight, just in case...

I recently had an electrician update the dryer outlet from an outdated (and unsafe) 10-30 receptacle to a modern 14-30, and he quoted me $2800 if I was to swap to an entirely new panel. Price of living in the Bay area I guess...

Reactions: RuffRidinNole

For recent delivery folks, I'm charging off a 30A 14-30 dryer outlet, and when charging the breaker got hot. Not burning, no smell, no noise, but at the cusp of being uncomfortable. I'm a little worried since the house and the panel are from, well, the late 70s. I just got a laser infared thermometer so I'll measure how hot it gets next time I charge. Which I'm doing as soon as I wake up, rather than overnight, just in case...

I recently had an electrician update the dryer outlet from an outdated (and unsafe) 10-30 receptacle to a modern 14-30, and he quoted me $2800 if I was to swap to an entirely new panel. Price of living in the Bay area I guess...
I’d be curious what the cost of a 50a circuit would be in comparison. When charging via a Tesla wall charger my breaker and the charging cable get warm. I can use my temp gun to grab a reading next charge.

I am planning on upgrading my panel and i live in the bay area as well. I am adding solar power and a spa so it is worth it for me. How long does your car take to charge on the 30 amp plug

I’d be curious what the cost of a 50a circuit would be in comparison. When charging via a Tesla wall charger my breaker and the charging cable get warm. I can use my temp gun to grab a reading next charge.

I would go for a 50A circuit but my panel is fully unfortunately. I have 100A service and according to the electrician it would probably cost 15-25k to the utility to trench and expand to 200A. He said they could upgrade me to a 125A panel with more capacity as an option.

Thanks though, am definitely interested in seeing what the temp is on your breaker/fuse.

I am planning on upgrading my panel and i live in the bay area as well. I am adding solar power and a spa so it is worth it for me. How long does your car take to charge on the 30 amp plug
Yeah solar seems like the logical next step. I assume that a project like that would include a new panel, so maybe it's worth bundling it all together. On a 30A 14-30 socket it charges at 24A continuously, which is about 22 miles an hour added to the car. More than adequate for my commute.

Who are you going with for solar?

I would go for a 50A circuit but my panel is fully unfortunately. I have 100A service and according to the electrician it would probably cost 15-25k to the utility to trench and expand to 200A. He said they could upgrade me to a 125A panel with more capacity as an option.

Thanks though, am definitely interested in seeing what the temp is on your breaker/fuse.

Yeah solar seems like the logical next step. I assume that a project like that would include a new panel, so maybe it's worth bundling it all together. On a 30A 14-30 socket it charges at 24A continuously, which is about 22 miles an hour added to the car. More than adequate for my commute.

I am going with semper solaris. What was weird is my utility service is 200 amps coming from PG&E but the builder put a smaller 100 amp main panel on the house. So I don’t have to trench or run new wites i just need to upgrade my main panel

Bummer. Are you also using the Tampa SC?
No, I’m on the other side of the state. Does your SC even know if they’re receiving any shipments? Mine says they haven’t been sent any nor do they have an estimate on when any might arrive. They did say the Eatonville center received some last week so Tesla is shipping them to FL. Hope your wait ends soon.

No, I’m on the other side of the state. Does your SC even know if they’re receiving any shipments? Mine says they haven’t been sent any nor do they have an estimate on when any might arrive. They did say the Eatonville center received some last week so Tesla is shipping them to FL. Hope your wait ends soon.
No I didn't ask. My car has been sitting at the Tampa SC since Mid/late March.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rodney!

I'm not an electrician, but according to the research I did prior to the wall charger being installed, 80% capacity on the circuit should be fine continuously. So, your 30A circuit should be fine running at 24A charging the car.

When I looked into installing a 30A circuit for the NEMA 14-50, it would have cost me the same amount from the electrician as installing the 60A circuit for the wall charger. I just bought the wall charger so I had the highest charge rate (plus, it looks cool).

It sucks your panel is at capacity. My house was built in 2017. I have no idea what my cap is. The discussion didn't even come up when I hired the electrician.

My house (built in 1951) has 100A service, but at 1300 sq ft with gas heat, dryer, and stove, we had enough headroom to do a 60A circuit to the garage for 48A continuous charging. Even the AC should peak at no more than 20A at startup. No issues. Everybody’s setup and needs are different, but don’t assume you can’t put in decent L2 EVSE speed with lower amp home service. This is more general advice than specific, as electricians certainly know more than I do.