Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A word of caution to any owners of white interior cars thinking about ultra dark tinting: a friend of mine had his white interior car tinted to around 15% all around, and I personally found his car very difficult to drive in certain lighting conditions because of the glare from the white dash material obscuring the driver's side-view mirror. Thank goodness for the side repeater camera. The car I'm getting has the black interior, but if it was white, I would have to either not tint it very much, or cover that dash with something not-white.

A word of caution to any owners of white interior cars thinking about ultra dark tinting: a friend of mine had his white interior car tinted to around 15% all around, and I personally found his car very difficult to drive in certain lighting conditions because of the glare from the white dash material obscuring the driver's side-view mirror. Thank goodness for the side repeater camera. The car I'm getting has the black interior, but if it was white, I would have to either not tint it very much, or cover that dash with something not-white.
I can see that. I wonder how 20% would do. Been debating between staying legal in Maryland at 35%, or just doing 20%. Seemed like 20% was they way to go on the white interior since it's so visible. Tough decision.

I can see that. I wonder how 20% would do. Been debating between staying legal in Maryland at 35%, or just doing 20%. Seemed like 20% was they way to go on the white interior since it's so visible. Tough decision.
I went the legal route. The cars have dyed windows so the highest I could go and remain legal was 40% 🤮, which brought it down to around 33% with the dye. If your car will have white interior AND you aren't concerned with being legal I'd go with 20%. The white interior really lightens things up. From outside I can easily see straight through both sets of windows. The heat reduction is there but privacy isn't.

If you're getting black interior disregard everything above.

I went the legal route. The cars have dyed windows so the highest I could go and remain legal was 40% 🤮, which brought it down to around 33% with the dye. If your car will have white interior AND you aren't concerned with being legal I'd go with 20%. The white interior really lightens things up. From outside I can easily see straight through both sets of windows. The heat reduction is there but privacy isn't.

Ultimately I want both privacy & heat protection. I'll likely get final opinions from the shop doing the work and from my best friend who's a sergeant in the Maryland State Police. But sounds like 20% is the way to go, with perhaps 70% on the windshield.

Reactions: Brou
And now for maybe a noob question: what is the significance of the two-week EDD window?
Generally it means you're going to receive your car in roughly a week or so and it's just in final transit to your location for you to take delivery. But shipping delays and other events can delay it. I say 'generally' because sometimes the 2-week window will still get kicked out another week and can happen multiple times during transit before you can actually pick it up. Doesn't happen to most people, but still definitely happens to a lot.

To be fair to Tesla, at least they actually provide a general window even though it can shift a bit at times. My wife and I have been waiting for our new Escalade for almost a year now without so much as a single peep. No updates from the factory, no window on when it will be delivered, not even an estimate from GM's plants on when it will even be built or what features they'll have to drop due to "chip shortages" while we wait. And no surprise $20k markup over MSRP during delivery like my buddy just got from the dealer when he went to pick up his F-150 Lightning after waiting ages. Yes, waiting sucks. But it could be a lot worse than it is for all of us too. Hang in there, fam.

Reactions: julit0 and unlock

Happens with lighter tint too.

PXL_20220709_152700555.jpg

The wood reflects as well. Just not as bad as the white.

Reactions: unlock
After having super dark tint in my previous cars, I'm coming from a position of wanting to go up in % (lighter). I think 20% is a happy medium between typical factory tinted glass (~35%) and the desired 15%. 20% it is for me too.

I did 20% and wish I went with 15%
Interesting. I can understand why. Do you have your front windshield and top roof glass tinted as well? If so, what percentages?

Ultimately I want both privacy & heat protection. I'll likely get final opinions from the shop doing the work and from my best friend who's a sergeant in the Maryland State Police. But sounds like 20% is the way to go, with perhaps 70% on the windshield.
Looks like a great combo. There's also 80% film for the front. I forgot which order it was, but apparently the 70% has a green hue vs the 80% that has more of a blueish hue... pretty sure it was in that order.

Soooo no tint is better? Lol

Haha I wish the cars came with stock tinted glass at 20% with UV and Heat Rejection already baked in. That'd be awesome.

But yea, for a lot of us having tint is a necessity, particularly one that's ceramic based to tame that hot fireball beaming down on the humanoids.

3M Cyrstalline is the best heat rejection film out there... but $$$$$ = Worth it. This film actually reflects heat, whereas even ceramic will eventually get heat soaked after some time, but it's better than nothing.

Where you referring to the stock clear windows of the M3P being dyed? Interesting. Did you get it measured with a meter at the shop?

According to your calculations of reaching 33% as an end result with using a 40% film, that would mean the stock clear factory glass would be at ~82%-83% VLT.

82% x 40% = (0.82×0.40)x100 = ~32.8%.