Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It may slow things down. It definitely complicates your purchase agreement as you have to accept the trade offer and that gets put on your MVPA and reduces what’s due. Then what you may finance on top of that, and they will expect down payment at pickup (or before). But them processing your MVPA, possibly filling out the DMV forms, etc., could be effected. If they’re asking for pictures already, I guess you accepted the offer? I got an offer and let it ride a couple days - but I kept getting texts daily from Tesla asking me to either accept or reject it.
Sent pictures yesterday and got an offer on the trade in within a few hours. I declined it

Mine changed as well, wish it was the other direction kinda... from Sep 8 - Oct 13 to Sep 4 to Oct 2.. Thing is I won't even be in the state to be able to pick it up before the end of September. Should I just message my sales person and let them know that I can't pick up until end of September or maybe put it on 30 day hold or should I ride it out and see what happens? I am kinda worried.

Last edited:
Mine changed as well, wish it was the other direction kinda... from Sep 8 - Oct 13 to Sep 4 to Oct 2.. Thing is I won't even be in the state to be able to pick it up before the end of September. Should I just message my sales person and let them know that I can't pick up until end of September or maybe put it on 30 day hold or should I ride it out and see what happens? I am kinda worried.
You can’t really plan for the delivery as Tesla’s updates are so random. The car will probably be delivered after you get back. I’d just wait and see what happens. If the car does come early, you can look for a cheap last minute flight or decline delivery & start over. I was prepared to fly home for a late June delivery and then return to my vacation. It wasn’t necessary, and now I’m now looking at a mid August delivery. Until a VIN is assigned, planning isn’t worth the effort.

You can’t really plan for the delivery as Tesla’s updates are so random. The car will probably be delivered after you get back. I’d just wait and see what happens. If the car does come early, you can look for a cheap last minute flight or decline delivery & start over. I was prepared to fly home for a late June delivery and then return to my vacation. It wasn’t necessary, and now I’m now looking at a mid August delivery. Until a VIN is assigned, planning isn’t worth the effort.
No I am moving there and ordered it there, I won't be moved in until after the 10th lol. Sounds good. I will wait until the time comes and see what happens. If push comes to shove I will just do the 30 day hold.

Hi, what's up. I'm back in the waiting room.

Ordered a red Performance to replace my 2020 MSM Performance. Estimated delivery mid Oct through end of November.

Have a Carvana offer ready, but waiting on a Tesla offer. If it's close enough I take it. In NC you can offset the new vehicle purchase price with the sale proceeds of your trade in for the purpose of sales tax reduction. Can save $1500 that way.

Not a fan of the uberturbine wheels. Maybe they'll grow on me 🤷‍♂️

Ordered a red Performance to replace my 2020 MSM Performance. Estimated delivery mid Oct through end of November.

Have a Carvana offer ready, but waiting on a Tesla offer. If it's close enough I take it. In NC you can offset the new vehicle purchase price with the sale proceeds of your trade in for the purpose of sales tax reduction. Can save $1500 that way.

Does NC impose a time limit on that sales tax offset? Here in AR, we have 60 days on either side of purchasing a new car to offset the sales tax with the sale of another car. It’s a pain in the rear to get reimbursed if you have to pay up front but definitely worth making sure to pay attention to that time limit!

In my case, I had until Aug 19 to get the sales tax credit. I sold my previous car for $60k, so as long as I got the M3P by 8/19, I will pay sales tax on $4,440 instead of $64,440. Getting the car tomorrow. Whew 😇

Reactions: Chris B
Does NC impose a time limit on that sales tax offset? Here in AR, we have 60 days on either side of purchasing a new car to offset the sales tax with the sale of another car. It’s a pain in the rear to get reimbursed if you have to pay up front but definitely worth making sure to pay attention to that time limit!

In my case, I had until Aug 19 to get the sales tax credit. I sold my previous car for $60k, so as long as I got the M3P by 8/19, I will pay sales tax on $4,440 instead of $64,440. Getting the car tomorrow. Whew 😇
Afaik it has to be done as a trade in at the time of the sale. But I'm not 100% sure.

Reactions: 3geekfamily

Give carbuyerusa a try too, they came in a few thousand higher then carvana offered.

Can always sell the wheels/tires and get what you like, though that takes more money haha.

You actually made me ask our NC DMV that administers and collects this vehicle tax if I can offset the price if I don't trade in at the time of the sale, and ask if I can request a refund for the difference. I expect it will take a few days for them to get back to me.
Maybe you just saved me approx. $1500 in sales tax on my new Performance. Stay tuned :)

ETA: I also emailed Tesla finance about that. Maybe they'll allow proof of the sale to reduce the tax line item. I'll update the post when I hear back.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SkepTeach