Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sent pictures yesterday and got an offer on the trade in within a few hours. I declined it
Interesting - as I got an offer just based on VIN and mileage. Did Tesla lowball you? I turned Tesla's offer down, thinking I could get more from Honda, plus my car was on a lease and I would have had to buy it outright first, wait for the title, then trade it in to Tesla. On top off not enough $$, I was worried it would impact delivery time so I turned it down.

In the end, I only got $500 more from Honda than what Tesla offered. Best wishes on a great delivery then!

You actually made me ask our NC DMV that administers and collects this vehicle tax if I can offset the price if I don't trade in at the time of the sale, and ask if I can request a refund for the difference. I expect it will take a few days for them to get back to me.
Maybe you just saved me approx. $1500 in sales tax on my new Performance. Stay tuned :)

ETA: I also emailed Tesla finance about that. Maybe they'll allow proof of the sale to reduce the tax line item. I'll update the post when I hear back.
Same boat as you in NC. The offer on my ‘21 Model 3 from Tesla was almost comical.

I sold to GiveMeTheVin for an insane price. I’m 98% sure the sales tax incentive has to be at the time of purchase in NC.

Reactions: 3geekfamily
Same boat as you in NC. The offer on my ‘21 Model 3 from Tesla was almost comical.

I sold to GiveMeTheVin for an insane price. I’m 98% sure the sales tax incentive has to be at the time of purchase in NC.
I got quotes from Carmax (in person), Vroom and Driveway and Carvana. Carvana was the highest. I just submitted GiveMeTheVin and their offer was the lowest by $2,500. I guess it's either a locality thing or the market has adjusted.

Reactions: 3geekfamily
I got quotes from Carvana (in person), Vroom and Driveway. Carvana was the highest. I just submitted GiveMeTheVin and their offer was the lowest by $2,500. I guess it's either a locality thing or the market has adjusted.
Yeah their initial offer was about that much off for me too. I think I got a call or email back asking why I declined. Told them about the highest offer from CarGurus and they beat it by $500. So they increased their offer by about $3k.

Just searched my old vin on the web as I sold the car a month ago. Some dealership across the country has it now and is selling it for $1k more than I sold it for. I have no clue how anybody is making money on that deal other than long-term financing. They definitely had to put new tires on it, so that already puts them at a $500 loss assuming they got it halfway across the country for free.

EDD change this morning. Wrong direction :( Aug 20- Sept 17.
Dang. I started the two week window dance this morning. No movement. the last few two week windows I got did not change until the day after it began and they issued another but moved it up a day in the week. I was on saturday to sat, then friday to friday, now thursdays.

I sold a Mach E to GMTV last fall and their offer was nutball high, much higher than Carvana or Vroom. The last few months though their offers have been pretty low, even lower than the others. I found another company called Texas Auto Value and they made much more enticing offers. Not sure how far away they will travel but I know they fly their buyers to get cars and drive them back. I’ve now sold two cars to them and my partner sold one.

Yeah their initial offer was about that much off for me too. I think I got a call or email back asking why I declined. Told them about the highest offer from CarGurus and they beat it by $500. So they increased their offer by about $3k.
I mentioned my highest offer and then also mentioned that I just put 4 brand new tires on this car about 2k miles ago. That's $1,600 I'll never get back.
We'll see where this lands. I'm already almost done with the Carvana document process ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: julit0

Just searched my old vin on the web as I sold the car a month ago. Some dealership across the country has it now and is selling it for $1k more than I sold it for. I have no clue how anybody is making money on that deal other than long-term financing. They definitely had to put new tires on it, so that already puts them at a $500 loss assuming they got it halfway across the country for free.
You almost have to wonder if these companies aren’t money launderers. Or maybe I need to watch less Ozark.

Interesting - as I got an offer just based on VIN and mileage. Did Tesla lowball you? I turned Tesla's offer down, thinking I could get more from Honda, plus my car was on a lease and I would have had to buy it outright first, wait for the title, then trade it in to Tesla. On top off not enough $$, I was worried it would impact delivery time so I turned it down.

In the end, I only got $500 more from Honda than what Tesla offered. Best wishes on a great delivery then!
They lowballed me for sure. I should be able to get 4K more if I sell it on my own

Dang. I started the two week window dance this morning. No movement. the last few two week windows I got did not change until the day after it began and they issued another but moved it up a day in the week. I was on saturday to sat, then friday to friday, now thursdays.
You are WAY overdue on your delivery. I hope it comes soon for you

You actually made me ask our NC DMV that administers and collects this vehicle tax if I can offset the price if I don't trade in at the time of the sale, and ask if I can request a refund for the difference. I expect it will take a few days for them to get back to me.
Maybe you just saved me approx. $1500 in sales tax on my new Performance. Stay tuned :)

ETA: I also emailed Tesla finance about that. Maybe they'll allow proof of the sale to reduce the tax line item. I'll update the post when I hear back.
@SkepTeach : Tesla replied back that they're only willing to adjust the taxes if I trade in with them, and they only accept trade-ins on the same day as delivery of the new vehicle. Waiting on the DMV. 🤞

I just applied and was approved on 15 July from NFCU. Got 3.29%, then .25% off for being disabled Vet. 3.04%, good for 90 days. Ordered M3P on 19 Jun. Expected date has moved twice. Currently at 16 Aug-13 Sep. Just had Wall connector installed. My buddy tried it. Pushing 48A, good for 44 MPH.
I had no idea about all of these NFCU discounts. And I've used them for 10-15 auto loans over the last 15 years.

Anything else other than disabled vet and E7+ discounts?

Got 1.99% at NFCU. Originally when I applied, it was 2.49% over 5 years, but when I spoke to them for final processing - they let me know about a long-time member discount. They told me .25% discount. But, when the final signed loan document came in, it stated 1.99% in black and white. This was just under 3 months ago in May. USAA would beat that 3.29% I believe.
How long is long time member? I switched to NFCU in 2007, the day before graduating boot camp.

So far I'm guessing I missed out on about 1.5% on just this loan.

*(Offer does not apply to online applications)

Wow. I've never applied over the phone or in person. I had no idea calling would make a difference. Live and learn.
I did my application over the phone and after the check is given to the dealer you just call in and they can apply whatever discount you may qualify for. This is the same for the online application as well as my other loan was done online and still just called in after.

Reactions: gtcrispy
I did my application over the phone and after the check is given to the dealer you just call in and they can apply whatever discount you may qualify for. This is the same for the online application as well as my other loan was done online and still just called in after.
Too late for me now. I took delivery 6 weeks ago and already returned the promissory note. I'll know for next time though.

Mine shifted from a Sunday-Sunday window to a Friday-Friday window, the day after the original window began. Maybe on 8/6 mine will shift to Wednesday-Wendesday, 8/17-8/31? I hope you get your VIN soon!