Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious for you. Lets see how long it takes. You are almost 2 weeks out.
What does it say in the Tesla site/app you delivery range?
Maybe they are bundling up order for Northeast/MA?

Cheers
White exterior and black interior; currently it says: Jan.27th-Feb.24th; we don’t qualify for the credits but i’m pissed off the car i wanted to buy as a toy is asking 10% -20% more than MSRP. don’t want to reward bad dealership, decided to pull trigger on this after price cut.

Reactions: nickg_6
for those who recently picked up your M3Ps. Did Tesla report your name and taxpayer identification number to the IRS as required by the IRS per the screenshot below?

View attachment 899835
Wow, that’s a weird rule. Picked up my M3LR today and they never asked for SSN, which means they could not have reported the sale to IRS? And if they say they did I have no way to check until I file taxes next year?

for those who recently picked up your M3Ps. Did Tesla report your name and taxpayer identification number to the IRS as required by the IRS per the screenshot below?

View attachment 899835

No, Tesla didn't ask for SSN or anything at delivery, nor the last few days. I don't believe I have ever given Tesla my SSN, I financed through my credit union.

I would assume the IRS will record all the VINs submitted on tax returns and possibly audit some if there is a reason it looks extremely suspicious such as wrong model year, a VIN reported on multiple returns, etc. If your flagged for audit you just send IRS substantiation of the purchase and details that show the vehicle qualifies. I do not believe the IRS will be matching taxpayers returns VINs to submissions of VINs with SSNs from car dealers until quite a while from now. The amount of work to do that accurately and well as resolve errors is just not part of their current processes.

This tax credit rollout has been so confusing all the rules and parties responsibilities just aren't clear yet. Maybe in 2024 if the credit becomes payable to the seller at point of sale they will match it up with SSN's and approve in real time or something to pay the dealer and finalize sale. That would make sense.

I'm going to claim it on my return, I don't share any concerns of qualifying for it.

Reactions: dahaz22
Speculating here, but does the VIN truly tell the IRS whether it's a 3 RWD, M3LR, or M3P? Or does it just tell the IRS it's a 3, and as long as your order shows under $55K they won't care?

Good question. I put my VIN in this website and it looks like the 8th digit specifies M3P

1-3Manufacturer5YJ = Tesla, Inc.
4Make3 = Model 3
5Body TypeE = Sedan 4 Door (Model 3, Left-Hand Drive)
6Restraint System1 = Manual Type 2 Seat Belts (Front, Rear*3) With Front Airbags, PODS, Side Inflatable Restraints, Knee Airbags (Front)
7Battery TypeE = Electric
8Motor/Drive UnitC = Dual Motor - Performance Model 3
9Check Character5
10Model YearP = 2023
11Location of ManufactureF = Fremont, CA, USA

Reactions: nickg_6
Ordered white with white interior on 14 Jan at 1400 CST. Messed up the app for a couple days, but got it squared away by 17 Jan (not sure if that matters). Showing est of 2 Feb - 2 Mar.
As of today, I got the official trade in offer and had to submit photo of odometer and title. Seems like forward progress.
As to the question of the EV credit, I found this Reddit post interesting.

I ordered a white M3P with black interior on 1/19. I have received no updates. Still says "Est. Delivery Jan-Feb 2023". If you go to the website to order one for my zip code it also still says "Est. Delivery Jan-Feb 2023". That can't be correct.
The app just updated my delivery estimate to February 10 - March 10. This makes more sense. Meanwhile the website still says Jan. - Feb. for my zip code when ordering.

Ordered white with white interior on 14 Jan at 1400 CST. Messed up the app for a couple days, but got it squared away by 17 Jan (not sure if that matters). Showing est of 2 Feb - 2 Mar.
As of today, I got the official trade in offer and had to submit photo of odometer and title. Seems like forward progress.
As to the question of the EV credit, I found this Reddit post interesting.

Totally agree with all of this analysis, I'm a CPA. Took delivery of a M3P today and have no concerns of it qualifying for the tax credit.

Update: ordered 1/21 white / back - just got updated from default Jan-Feb to Feb 16 to March 16.

I think the website still says Jan - Feb for new orders because you can still get a M3P out of inventory - just not one that falls under the $55k limit (e.g black, red, etc..).

Following the news to determine exactly when the tax credit restrictions go into effect will be a new part time job for me in March :).

• Funny
Reactions: PdxAmp
Update: ordered 1/21 white / back - just got updated from default Jan-Feb to Feb 16 to March 16.

I think the website still says Jan - Feb for new orders because you can still get a M3P out of inventory - just not one that falls under the $55k limit (e.g black, red, etc..).

Following the news to determine exactly when the tax credit restrictions go into effect will be a new part time job for me in March :).
I got the same date range, let's hope it get's here before the battery ruling!