Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 performance Wh/m rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean Wh/m ? If so, my long term average over 12600 miles is currently 300 Wh/m, but that is after making a conscious effort to get it down this year. If I drive it like I used to then I think I'd probably be well over 320.
Yes wh/m, I'm struggling to get over 200 miles per charge and trying to drive carefully. Thought I would be getting at least real world 250 miles per charge.

Getting over 300Wh/mi means you’re really enjoying the car. :D

But in seriousness, do you do a lot of freeway driving? If so, that’ll do it. I was seeing ~320Wh/mi when doing mostly freeway driving.

Also, the car is rated at 299 miles total; 100 –> 0%. If you’re getting ~200 miles but only using, let’s say, 70% (85 —> 15%) of battery capacity...that’s not bad. To get rated miles, speeds have to be relatively low...like 50MPH or something.

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
It's also got pretty cold and wet now, depending which part of country you are. When did you start driving the car? Averages excluding Oct even would be a lot better.

Heater use, denser air and rolling resistance from wet roads!

320Wh/mile is really high for a 3, our X is only averaging 370Wh/mile.

Its all down to driver. Acceleration of any kind will hurt your Wh/mile figure, as will any speed over 70mph.

If possible also avoid having to use too much regen to slow down, regen is only 70% efficient at recovering energy, if you are using loads of it, than you are accelerating too quickly in the first place.

Try also to 'coast' where possible, so the energy graph shows no regen or power. And avoid AP, it has no regard for efficient driving :).

If possible also avoid having to use too much regen to slow down, regen is only 70% efficient at recovering energy, if you are using loads of it, than you are accelerating too quickly in the first place.

huh?

Stopping energy recovered has nothing to do with acceleration energy used to get you there. You get exactly the same amount of regen energy recovered stopping from 60mph that you had accelerated to in 4 seconds than you would have got from stopping from 60mph that had taken you eg 20 seconds to accelerate to.

If I'm correct the lifetime Wh/m includes energy used by the climate control. Therfore many short trips a day in cold weather (or very hot weather) has a big affect onWh/m compared to sat 2 longer trips per day...

huh?

Stopping energy recovered has nothing to do with acceleration energy used to get you there. You get exactly the same amount of regen energy recovered stopping from 60mph that you had accelerated to in 4 seconds than you would have got from stopping from 60mph that had

More to say if you know there is a traffic light/junction 0.5 mile ahead don't accelerate to 60 mph in the first place, instead get up to 40 than 'coast' if you can all the way to a gentle stop.

Any Prius driver will tell you about 'pulse and glide'. The smoother you can get from A to B the less energy you will use, measured acceleration, less slowing down, use momentum to carry you around corners rather than brake, corner, than power on exit.

huh?

Stopping energy recovered has nothing to do with acceleration energy used to get you there. You get exactly the same amount of regen energy recovered stopping from 60mph that you had accelerated to in 4 seconds than you would have got from stopping from 60mph that had taken you eg 20 seconds to accelerate to.

I’m not sure I agree. The system isn’t 100% efficient. Losses in terms of heat etc.

Reactions: D Good
I’m not sure I agree. The system isn’t 100% efficient. Losses in terms of heat etc.

The issue wasn't about regen efficiency but "If possible also avoid having to use too much regen to slow down" and "if you are using loads of it, than you are accelerating too quickly in the first place" putting a direct link between regen and acceleration when regen has no link with acceleration but does with speed.

If I'm correct the lifetime Wh/m includes energy used by the climate control. Therfore many short trips a day in cold weather (or very hot weather) has a big affect onWh/m compared to sat 2 longer trips per day...

Yes. You will record a much better Wh/m doing a single 100mile drive, rather than splitting it up into 10 x 10mile drives. Lots of other reasons than just HVAC though. Adds a different constraint to the travelling salesman problem.

Average wh/m is rarely good since it covers a lot of short trips (especially bad in winter)
Its the wh/m on a road trip that counts. Cruising at 70ish in summer I can get that down to 240. At 75 in winter fully loaded I was over 300 but mine's an LR

Reactions: Medved_77
Speed is a big factor as is weather. Can't control the weather. Cold air is more dense, so it takes more energy to push through it.
I saw this chart which shows the range .vs. speed.

Model3_range_speed.png

If you drive like Prius drivers, you can significantly increase your range (which lowers your Wh/mi).
However, is that why you got a Tesla? Heck no.
Enjoy yourself and stay safe.
Hakuana Matata.

I’m only eight weeks in so need to hunt to see what my ave is and where to find it.

Did 90 miles over the weekend in chill and ave was 257. First time not in silly mode and it seemed to be more efficient but I was also being very relaxed.

h