Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 performance Wh/m rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lifetime average is 360 Wh/mi after 15k. Most of those miles were done during last winter during early morning and late evening.

I can easily get better efficiency if I needed to, but I rarely have. I chose the Performance model to enjoy it, and it is still way more economical than my previous ICE cars.

I’m only eight weeks in so need to hunt to see what my ave is and where to find it.

With a bit of luck you will not have reset your trip - you get various different trips (since last charge etc) but not lifetime - one of the panels along with wipers and tyre pressures. However, if not reset one of these (it will match your odometer), you can rename one of them such as "LIFETIME *** DO NOT DELETE" and use that.

There is also TeslaFi Lifetime Map etc but they will be unlikely to match.

Last edited:
Reactions: hctip and Adopado
The issue wasn't about regen efficiency but "If possible also avoid having to use too much regen to slow down" and "if you are using loads of it, than you are accelerating too quickly in the first place" putting a direct link between regen and acceleration when regen has no link with acceleration but does with speed.
Agreed. Since the comment was tied on regen, that was part of the confusion. Had it included a mention of brake use, the point would have come across.

“If possible also avoid having to use too much regen or brakes to slow down, regen is only 70% efficient at recovering energy, if you are using loads of it, than you are accelerating driving too quickly in the first place.”

Personally, I like and use regen. I understand that some people prefer coasting in lieu of regen cause they believe the distance travelled is better use of kinetic energy than trying to capture the energy and use it later. I’ll agree with that. However, regen should be used in place of brakes as much as possible. In a perfect world, we could coast to any stop and use kinetic energy as efficiently as possible to get where we are going. Well, it’s not a perfect world (as 2020 showed us LOL). When a car needs to stop, it’s better to use regen than brakes; better to recoup some energy to the battery than waste it as heat from the brakes. If I need or want to coast, I just lift on the throttle to a point where the energy bar isn’t showing green or black.

I’m only eight weeks in so need to hunt to see what my ave is and where to find it.

Did 90 miles over the weekend in chill and ave was 257. First time not in silly mode and it seemed to be more efficient but I was also being very relaxed.

h
I tried chill and found it no more efficient if travelling at the same speed/accelerating the same etc, only if you used all the performance before would you notice an improvement in efficiency. I've not used chill for probably nearly a year, last time I used it I went to pull out of a busy junction thinking I had full power, was not something I wish to repeat again :oops: most of the time I don't 'need' it in anything other than chill but I like to know if I need the power I can use it at will! Maybe if Tesla could use a 'kickdown' like on the accelerator of many autos where it changed from chill to full power until you eased off?

Reactions: Haddock
I realize I am not in the UK but here is some concrete numbers for you to look at after 2 years in my M3P doing mostly highway driving at 112-125 km/h (70-78mph) and its efficiency based on temperature.

Wh-Mile.jpg

Attachments

• Wh-Mile.jpg
    Wh-Mile.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Of course it's perfectly possible to achieve ether very low or very high kWh usage with any EV. With my April 2020 car (acceleration boosted LR) it's.....

Warm sunny day, no wind, little/no road elevation, driver only, empty car, drive at 50-60mph max, gentle acceleration = low 200s
Cold, wet, windy, hilly, passengers / luggage, 70mph+ on dual carriageways/motorways, enjoyable acceleration = mid/high 300s & beyond

260kWh so far but the cars' first winter will change that a lot.

Last edited:
Of course it's perfectly possible to achieve ether very low or very high kWh usage with any EV. With my April 2020 car (acceleration boosted LR) it's.....

Warm sunny day, no wind, little/no road elevation, driver only, empty car, drive at 50-60mph max, gentle acceleration = low 200s
Cold, wet, windy, hilly, passengers / luggage, 70mph+ on dual carriageways/motorways, enjoyable acceleration = mid/high 300s & beyond

260kWh so far but the cars' first winter will change that a lot.
i've been running an LR at around 260wh/m average over the summer. Last winter I was averaging 300 so that is probably around where you are headed

Reactions: Drew57
Newbie question: where do I find this statistics? I do not see energy consumption in the App and on the car's screen under Energy I can only see average consumption over the last 5, 10 and 30 miles. How do I pull the total lifetime average? Thank you!

Newbie question: where do I find this statistics? I do not see energy consumption in the App and on the car's screen under Energy I can only see average consumption over the last 5, 10 and 30 miles. How do I pull the total lifetime average? Thank you!
On the cars computer, horizontal scroll where the rear camera, voice button etc is to bring up the trip computer.

Then vertical scroll.