Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance winter tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I have a M3P with the 20" Uberturbine. I'm starting to plan about the winter tires and would like to hear more about other experiences. I have 2 options:

1. Buy r20 winter tires and keep using the Uberturbine during the winter. My only concern is if the snow/salt could damage the wheel.
  2. Buy a 18" winter package with wheels and tires. I would need to buy TPMS as well. My concern, in this case, is about the insurance, do they complain about this kind of change?
Thanks!

I went with option 1, and the Pilot Alpin has been a good tire for me (Calgary & area, lots of weekend snowy mountain trips). I pay about $180/year for two tire swaps and it’s all fine.

If I were doing it again, I’d move to an 18” or 19” rim. The 20” is basically an expensive rubber band on a $900 rim, and it’s just way too easy to bend a rim on a hidden pothole. I’d take a bigger sidewall in a heartbeat.

I got my 3 pretty early and there weren’t any other options that would work with the performance brakes, so I didn’t really have a choice at the time. Did I mention I’d do it differently now? ;)

Reactions: X.l.r.8
Hello everyone,

I have a M3P with the 20" Uberturbine. I'm starting to plan about the winter tires and would like to hear more about other experiences. I have 2 options:

1. Buy r20 winter tires and keep using the Uberturbine during the winter. My only concern is if the snow/salt could damage the wheel.
  2. Buy a 18" winter package with wheels and tires. I would need to buy TPMS as well. My concern, in this case, is about the insurance, do they complain about this kind of change?
Thanks!
I ordered a set of Touren 18" (TR60) wheels and X-Ice tires. The wheels did not clear the brakes even though they said they fit on the website, so be very careful. I got a different set from Fast Wheels and there's a bit of clearance but the wheel weights ended up rubbing. I'll get them moved, but let me just say if I had it all to do over, I would likely just get 19" wheels to give a bit more of a buffer. The brake calipers are really massive. 18" fit but barely.

I ran fast fc04(18") last winter with a toyo observe high performance winter tire. Worked good. Have to Remember, these cars produce alot of torque. I don't think there's a tire you won't be able to break loose in wintery conditions. This year, I switched to a 19" sport rim and I'm trying the michelin alpin pa4 (n spec). Getting them mounted on Wednesday. Don't expect any issues, adjust your driving habits and all is good. Like any other 4wd car.

Reactions: Braumin
I went with replica wheels 18" with Pirelli Sottozero and BT TPMS. The TPMS are sooooooo much more expensive. The bigger the sidewall the better the handling in the snow and ice. it is really not an aesthetic thing in the end. Just my 2¢. Also the unmount/mount 2x/yr becomes not at all cost effective compared to a second set of rims/tires/TPMS.