Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance without Performance Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the call for my Tesla Model 3.
Standard Black with 18” Aero.

I had a change of heart on the color and felt like I was settling not getting the Performance model (coming from a 911 TTS - just sold two days ago).

So I cancelled and changed to Pearl White with Performance.

I also included the Performance Package for $5K but I just cancelled that too.

The PP for street driving was over kill plus I did not like the same size tires all the way around. My 911 was staggered.

So my thought it to keep the aero’s and put on snows and get some 19s in a staggard setup for the summer (I live in Chicago).

My question is on stock setup, will 19s look good. Will there be a lot of fender gap? Or should I go to 20s.

Thanks in advance.

See my sig - Performance with OEM 19" rims - I think it looks fantastic myself... but of course it doesn't look like specifically different from RWD or AWD

M3.jpg

If your original order was before Aug 1st, hopefully you changed vs cancel for free supercharging and other things..

It's a slightly convoluted story - we had a RWD (same colors) since January but when Performance option showed up - trade in time. I arranged to keep the 19" from the RWD and swapped the 18 aero rims onto the old car before turning It over to it's new owners. I managed to even get Tesla service to do the swap for me right after pickup ( a few anxious moments there with timing)

I would have bought new 19's from Tesla if they would have made it an option...

It's a slightly convoluted story - we had a RWD (same colors) since January but when Performance option showed up - trade in time. I arranged to keep the 19" from the RWD and swapped the 18 aero rims onto the old car before turning It over to it's new owners. I managed to even get Tesla service to do the swap for me right after pickup ( a few anxious moments there with timing)

I would have bought new 19's from Tesla if they would have made it an option...
Ahhh. Ok, I think I read that in another post.

Just out of curiosity what hit did you take on trade it? 15%

Same thing here. I was thinking about getting after market 19’s. Then I stopped by the service center last night and saw a midnight silver with big red brake calipers and 20’ rims. Damn it looks good!

$5k worth good?

You don’t even get a staggered setup. And unless the track is on the horizon the brakes and extra are unnecessary. Right?

Don’t get me wrong I ordered it and then cancelled it.

See my sig - Performance with OEM 19" rims - I think it looks fantastic myself... but of course it doesn't look like specifically different from RWD or AWD

View attachment 328952

If your original order was before Aug 1st, hopefully you changed vs cancel for free supercharging and other things..

Do you think the base performance model 3 is lower than the RWD model 3? The wheel gap doesn't look bad in that picture

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
$5k worth good?

You don’t even get a staggered setup. And unless the track is on the horizon the brakes and extra are unnecessary. Right?

Don’t get me wrong I ordered it and then cancelled it.
I’m still in the same boat you are. I’m probably going to get after market silver 18’s, get the brakes painted red, and hope it looks close to as good.

I ended up doing this. got aftermarket 19"s. Kept the 18s for an extra set (not sure if I'll use them for winter) and it still was cheaper - plus they are black. Didn't need staggered either as I won't ever track the car. I may choose to lower it later but i can wait and see what comes out and gets tested in the next year. From a Model S historical perspective, the 20+ get murdered by potholes. There are a lot of stories. But it DOES look nice :-D

Reactions: RyanT and roguenode
I ended up doing this. got aftermarket 19"s. Kept the 18s for an extra set (not sure if I'll use them for winter) and it still was cheaper - plus they are black. Didn't need staggered either as I won't ever track the car. I may choose to lower it later but i can wait and see what comes out and gets tested in the next year. From a Model S historical perspective, the 20+ get murdered by potholes. There are a lot of stories. But it DOES look nice :-D

I thought the model 3 had an almost 50/50 weight distribution, why would a staggered wheel setup help track performance?

I ordered the performance model without the Performance + package. It will be here on the 09/07 I can't wait. You guys would be surprised what a nice set of brake pads and good fluid will do for a car. On the few track days that II attende you get less than 10 laps per session depending on the track. I wonder if that is even enough to overheat the rotors...idk.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA
What kind of 19s and what sizes?

View attachment 328952

Looks great! Does your non performance packaged P3D have a red underline on the screen? just curious

Porsche 911 has staggered tires because their heavy motor is mounted behind the rear axle and is mounted much higher than the electric motor in the Model 3.

It has a rear bias in weight, so less weight on the front tires to turn into corners. The rear end tends to let loose before the front, and most often crashes backwards into barriers.

Tesla has closer to a 50/50 weight distribution, with the center of gravity much lower, so it will do well with a square setup.

Porsche 911 has staggered tires because their heavy motor is mounted behind the rear axle and is mounted much higher than the electric motor in the Model 3.

It has a rear bias in weight, so less weight on the front tires to turn into corners. The rear end tends to let loose before the front, and most often crashes backwards into barriers.

Tesla has closer to a 50/50 weight distribution, with the center of gravity much lower, so it will do well with a square setup.
My Model X has staggered wheels and tires. My BMW M3 has staggered wheels and tires with a V8 engine up front. My Porsche Cayman S had staggered tires as well, with a mid engine. Therefore, having a heavy motor behind the rear axle is not the reason for staggered setup.