Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Phantom Pedestrian rear at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3 was delivered Dec 4th. Love it. I've noticed that there are occasional ghost images both vehicles and pedestrians that appear on the screen around the car. I assume there is more work to do on the detection software. I've seen some cases where a car was imaged as a pedestrian, other cases where the relative position of a vehicle jumps and shifts as the software resolves the object.

But the weirdest thing I saw was during a long range trip over Christmas. At speed (highway, 80mph give or take), both under navigate on autopilot and on manual control: A phantom pedestrian image would appear just behind the back bumper. This happened with no vehicle in range behind me. Just air and road.

Wondering if anyone else has seen the ghosts in the machine?

• Funny
Reactions: gjunky and Matias
2018 Model 3 was delivered Dec 4th. Love it. I've noticed that there are occasional ghost images both vehicles and pedestrians that appear on the screen around the car. I assume there is more work to do on the detection software. I've seen some cases where a car was imaged as a pedestrian, other cases where the relative position of a vehicle jumps and shifts as the software resolves the object.

But the weirdest thing I saw was during a long range trip over Christmas. At speed (highway, 80mph give or take), both under navigate on autopilot and on manual control: A phantom pedestrian image would appear just behind the back bumper. This happened with no vehicle in range behind me. Just air and road.

Yikes... I’ve seen a couple movies with very similar ghosts following a vehicle... be careful!

Pulled into my garage the other night and noticed a pedestrian pop up behind me on the screen. Looked in my rearview and no one was there. I even turned on the rear camera to make sure there wasn't a child behind me. During the past couple of weeks, I've been having this eerie feeling that something has been following me or just lurking around, so for now it's a ghost detector until I hear otherwise.

Pulled into my garage the other night and noticed a pedestrian pop up behind me on the screen. Looked in my rearview and no one was there. I even turned on the rear camera to make sure there wasn't a child behind me. During the past couple of weeks, I've been having this eerie feeling that something has been following me or just lurking around, so for now it's a ghost detector until I hear otherwise.

Could be the creatures from Bird Box?

Spooky. Time to call an exorcist!

Try the review camera next time. In my case, it looked like water was on the camera and was confusing it.

Same thing happened to me. Happens most times during rain, but after .46 I noticed it with nothing behind me in clear weather
Although silly, it made me feel like someone was behind me, giving me that “you’re being watched” feeling.
I changed lanes just in case there was a pedestrian trying to pass o_O