Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Phone Charge Cable Swap Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

liuping

Jul 23, 2013
San Diego
We took delivery of our Model 3 tonight and it has an iPhone Lightning charge cable and a micro USB charger cable installed. This makes sense, as it lets everyone get started right away, but we don't have any micro USB phones, and we would rather have two lightning charge cables.

I assume many other Model 3 owners are in the same boat, and need two of the same type of phone charge cable, so I thought we should have a swap thread where people can swap adapter types. Instead of paying $14 to Tesla for another cable of the type you need, it would cost just postage for each person to swap with someone else.

If you don't need your second charge cable, post it here, and someone someone who has what you need can PM you and arrange a swap.

To get things started, I have a Micro USB charge cable I'd like to trade for a lightning Charge cable.

Just so we're clear - the car comes with a lightning cable and a micro-USB cable and you want to trade around.

USB-C is just insane (pun!) since that one doesn't come with the car?

I just checked and in fact, ours came with a Lightning and a USB-C, not micro USB, like I thought.

So, if someone has a Model 3 lightning cable but wants a USB-C, PM me.

They are super easy to swap and replace

I'm starting to wonder if i'm qualified to own this car, because i really can't figure out how to swap the cables out. I understand how they unplug on the non-phone end and then the cables are under the rubber mat, but how do you get the actual phone connector portion out? I'm super scared to break anything :D

I got a Lightening and USB-C. Wanted to trade my Lightening for a Micro USB... No luck at the Hub. They are super easy to swap and replace. Just need to find a 90 deg cable or buy one for $14 from Tesla.

I posted in the Youtube comments but I will mention it here as well - it looks like Tesla has some kind of special reversible micro USB cable that they are using for this. The connector end in Tesla's store does not look like a standard micro USB connector, which has a wide side and a narrower side. This would seem to make sense for the way the cable has to be installed. Not all Android phones have the connector placed the same way. On my personal phone the wide side of the connector is on the screen side, but on my work phone it's on the back side.

I posted in the Youtube comments but I will mention it here as well - it looks like Tesla has some kind of special reversible micro USB cable that they are using for this. The connector end in Tesla's store does not look like a standard micro USB connector, which has a wide side and a narrower side. This would seem to make sense for the way the cable has to be installed. Not all Android phones have the connector placed the same way. On my personal phone the wide side of the connector is on the screen side, but on my work phone it's on the back side.

It also needs to be reversible because it is a 90* cable and it goes to either the right or left side. So it works with all four combinations of ports.

Reactions: ProphetM
I heard that when you take delivery, you can just ask them to swap out one of the cables. It's a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation, but I couldn't see why they wouldn't honor your request.
Correct - we asked for two lightning connectors and they swapped the usb-c one out for free at delivery time. When you go for delivery, be sure to ask for the two cables you want.
Sorry if this is hijacking this thread, but what about putting a wireless charger somewhere. Maybe like behind that mat?
I completely agree. Posted elsewhere that I hope some aftermarket supplier offers a swap-in replacement for the current hinged phone tray that has wireless charging coils.