Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Phone Charging Cables & Sunshade Available In Store Now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone else is interested, I bought my wife a 3rd party micro USB (she's got an older Android phone and is quite happy with it) from amazon that fits perfectly on the passenger side dock. I got the 3.2 ft cable ($9.99), as I assumed the 0.5 ft cable might not be long enough, plus it's just a $1 more. Also, since this was for the passenger side AND it's a micro USB, orientation matters. Right angle for the passenger side, left angle for driver side. As there's nothing special about the Tesla USB cables, other than the right angles, these work great. They also have USB C and lightning cables from the same brand.

https://www.amazon.ca/CableCreation...529&sr=8-6&keywords=cablecreation+right+angle

It might be worth noting that the micro USB that Tesla sells is reversible. I ordered one since I'm using a temporary phone that requires it until the next round of Pixels come out this year.

That said, I'm not sure if my phone or the cable is the issue here, but it does not maintain a steady charge. Instead it disconnects and reconnects every few seconds constantly. Not sure I'd recommend it.

It might be worth noting that the micro USB that Tesla sells is reversible. I ordered one since I'm using a temporary phone that requires it until the next round of Pixels come out this year.

That said, I'm not sure if my phone or the cable is the issue here, but it does not maintain a steady charge. Instead it disconnects and reconnects every few seconds constantly. Not sure I'd recommend it.

Interesting, that's good to know. I thought the images on Tesla's site looked a bit odd for the micro USBs. The fact that it's reversible would explain it... though that might also be the reason for the poor connection with your phone.

If anyone else is interested, I bought my wife a 3rd party micro USB (she's got an older Android phone and is quite happy with it) from amazon that fits perfectly on the passenger side dock. I got the 3.2 ft cable ($9.99), as I assumed the 0.5 ft cable might not be long enough, plus it's just a $1 more. Also, since this was for the passenger side AND it's a micro USB, orientation matters. Right angle for the passenger side, left angle for driver side. As there's nothing special about the Tesla USB cables, other than the right angles, these work great. They also have USB C and lightning cables from the same brand.

https://www.amazon.ca/CableCreation...529&sr=8-6&keywords=cablecreation+right+angle

Im going to buy packs of 2 for the left and right.... Anyone want to split on the cost and get 1 set? Can meetup in Sauga in the next few weeks (Mississauga Road / 401 area during business hours)