Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always been happy with my Elevation Dock on my Sprinter, just drop the phone on the dock and it charges and hooks to the stereo. None of my other cars have enough space above the dash to use the Elevation dock, looking forward to trying it in my new M3 when it arrives. Putting it behind the wheel makes sense as a way to watch the road and Waze at the same time.

-Randy

Thanks for this thread, I found what, for me, is the perfect iPhone X holder. A little pricey, but very secure and extremely stable. This one even has wireless charging! There are other solutions similar, and the same brand is half the price if you don't want wireless charging. Its placement is perfect for me (hangs below the display on the lower left). Just in reach! (Note: Still working on routing the wire)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0754NDNT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried out a few with this same design. Didn't care for the "gravity hold" style; can't rotate the phone, and it doesn't hold firmly, kinda jiggles a bit.

The built in charging stations are great, but they are too far away for me to reach (which I suppose is partly intentional ;) ). When I use Waze, I am an active participant, reporting road conditions when needed.

I *did* put in my own wireless charging coil (stripped down cheap Qi charger and mounted it under the rubber mat). Yes, taking corners was an issue. I resolved that problem by sticking a push pin into the riser on the matt (the push pin has a 1/8" black, round "head") that worked well.
IMG_4664.JPG
IMG_4666.JPG
IMG_4669.JPG
IMG_4665.JPG

Reactions: Ciditad
@Ronbo85

Thanks for posting. I am still searching for that phone holder that charges and works best.

Can you let us know if the phone overheats using this charger?

There is another thread I think that has a similar charger but a built in fan to cool down the phone. Twice the price if I remember correctly.

Thank you,

Vin

This one that I bought from Amazon works perfectly for me and I prefer it over the car's holder:

Mediabridge Smartphone Cradle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M4LV5H0

There's also a version with magnetic but I use this since a plate on my phone would interfere with my wireless charger at home.

It goes to the cupholder and it's adjustible and the reason it's great is cause if you use Waze or stream music from Spotify or Google Play you can get to it much quicker instead of having to reach. Having to do small things like a quick destination or playlist selection is really uncomfortable on the stock holder which is why it really bugs me Tesla will probably never get something like Android Auto. This phone mount solved that problem for me.

• Informative
Reactions: Ciditad
@Ronbo85

Thanks for posting. I am still searching for that phone holder that charges and works best.

Can you let us know if the phone overheats using this charger?

There is another thread I think that has a similar charger but a built in fan to cool down the phone. Twice the price if I remember correctly.

Thank you,

Vin
I checked and I haven't felt the charger get warm at all (it does have vent holes, but no fan.. I saw the other one you are referring to, but I think it has the ""gravity clamp" holder style that I was less fond of). Also note I'm in 90+ heat currently.. :)
I know my phone always gets super warm (iPhone X) when I use Waze anyway. With this new wireless charger, I've experienced nothing more than that. I've been using it for a few days and no 'overheating' issues.

In general, the phone has a safety that will turn it off if it gets 'too hot'.

I have been an avid ProClip user for years and thinking of ways to mount one.

I called them this morning to find out where they are on a design for the Model 3. The customer support rep couldn't tell me but did tell me that they have an email list that he added me to for updates. He said the only way to get on the list is to call customer service 800-296-3212 and asked to be added or email customer service. I didn't get the email address and don't see it on their website though there is a form that can be filled at Contact Us | ProClip USA.

I think that a bunch of us calling would create more of a feeling of a groundswell of demand =)

I've temporarily created a mount similar to @Ronbo85 but mounted it higher. I may modify the phone holder part to mount my actual Proclip holder. It is much sleeker and doesn't have the thick ugly orange jaws. Phone slips in and out better also. (The device in the holder for the pics is a solar rechargeable battery pack about the same size as the phone so I could use the phone to take the pics. The steering wheels is in the 'easy exit' mode. Much more room when in my normal driving mode)

Thinking that if Proclip could devise a 'clip/strap' that essentially clamps on to the edges of the screen and extends out to hold the phone holder it would be a good solution. I'm going to try to either mock something up or draw it out for feedback.

Tesla Model 3 Phone Holder1.jpg
Tesla Model 3 Phone Holder2.jpg

sorry but those holders really set the tone.
It would look even better if there was a dashcam on a suction mount on the windshield with cables dangling down...
even better with a radar detector (or two) in the middle of the dash with some more cables.
That would complete "the look" - or the look that makes people ask when you're going to finish the install to make it look good :)

its the oh, what happened to the sleek, clean interior comments your friends never say out loud

Reactions: MikeATL
So, I did a bit of designing of a cleaner option.
Seems like something that a ProClip could do well based on the Tablet holders they have created or somebody with a 3D printer could whip up.
Very rough but it gives the idea. A ProClip (or other favorite device holder) could attach cleanly to the extension which could be on either side.
Certainly many things could be modified for personal taste.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 08-20-18 at 06.15 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-20-18 at 06.15 PM.PNG
    21.7 KB · Views: 405
  • Screen Shot 08-20-18 at 06.16 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 08-20-18 at 06.16 PM.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 406
I don't have a link but I got a suction cup magnetic mount that adheres to the back of the screen. The attachment bends 180 degrees so the magnetic mount faces forward, so my phone floats right above the screen. It falls off once in a blue moon but otherwise has been a solid solution and I'm pretty sure I spent $8 or less on AliExpress.

So, I did a bit of designing of a cleaner option.
Seems like something that a ProClip could do well based on the Tablet holders they have created or somebody with a 3D printer could whip up.
Very rough but it gives the idea. A ProClip (or other favorite device holder) could attach cleanly to the extension which could be on either side.
Certainly many things could be modified for personal taste.

Here is what I have come up with so far. Note. I will be vinyl wrapping it to match the back of the scren thanks to the folks at Abstract Ocean.
IMG_20180930_183408.jpg

I don't have a link but I got a suction cup magnetic mount that adheres to the back of the screen. The attachment bends 180 degrees so the magnetic mount faces forward, so my phone floats right above the screen. It falls off once in a blue moon but otherwise has been a solid solution and I'm pretty sure I spent $8 or less on AliExpress.
will the magnetic mount affect wireless charging or the compass of your phone?