Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too, but the one for the Model 3 isn't great. I hate the location - too far away, and passenger bumps into it.

Looks similar to what I'm using on my XT5. The primary benefit in the XT5 is with CarPlay; using Google Maps, I get the map on the in-dash screen, and the upcoming turn-by-turn directions on the iPhone. The location is ideal for that use case.... but I guess that's moot on the Model 3.

Looks similar to what I'm using on my XT5. The primary benefit in the XT5 is with CarPlay; using Google Maps, I get the map on the in-dash screen, and the upcoming turn-by-turn directions on the iPhone. The location is ideal for that use case.... but I guess that's moot on the Model 3.
Oh ok I thought you were talking from experience. I am, I have tried the clip - my first one broke within a week by a passenger just entering his seat normally, and the second one isn't great either. It's just too far away, too low... Proclip let me down on this one :-(

Oh ok I thought you were talking from experience. I am, I have tried the clip - my first one broke within a week by a passenger just entering his seat normally, and the second one isn't great either. It's just too far away, too low... Proclip let me down on this one :-(

Sorry about that - it's a similar mount on my XT5; you can see it here in the photo. Sorry about it getting broken! Mine dips into the passenger area a little bit but haven't had an issue with it.... of course I'm on the driver's side so a protruding phone holder falls in the 'not my problem' category!

I'm still prospecting the Model 3 .... lease expires this year so I need something to get from here to the Y. Another XT5, or a Model 3 - therein lies the question. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5520.JPG
    IMG_5520.JPG
    331.7 KB · Views: 326
The Model 3 has a built in phone holder/charger already.
I plan on using that.

Yes me too. I was sitting in the car yesterday rebooting it and a phone call came in on my cellphone and was automatically picked up by the car. Scared the bejeebers out of me. First time I got a call in the car and it was LOUD. I got to read the manual on this. But I could really hear good and they could hear me just fine too. Don't know where the microphone is.

I've been using this setup for a few months now and I love it. Magnetic mounts are the best for everyday use. The mount itself has a very short arm, so it's very stable with no wobble. The best part is the mount itself cost $10. Just search for "Tech Armor Universal Magnetic Car Mount" on Amazon.

@Lanzer This looks great! Thanks for posting. Any suggestions on mounting this to the back of the display screen to insure a solid grip? Also, has this held up with the hotter weather. I am in CA and it can get hot with the sun the back of the display screen can really heat up. Thanks again!

This looks great! Thanks for posting. Any suggestions on mounting this to the back of the display screen to insure a solid grip? Also, has this held up with the hotter weather. I am in CA and it can get hot with the sun the back of the display screen can really heat up. Thanks again!

The back of the screen is slightly curved, so you can't mount it too close to the edge. On the other hand, if the mount is too far from the edge, the rubber padding will not be level with the screen. You'll find that when the rubber pad is about 1/2 inch from the screen as the sweet spot. To find the height, mount it where you can swipe your phone even with your right palm on the steering wheel.

If you have face ID you'll be able to unlock the phone with it in the holder, a big plus.

The holder haven't fall off yet and I had been parked in sunny California days. The Model 3 does have overheat protection so that might have helped. Overall for $10 you really can't go wrong.