Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 power frunk UI questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in adding a power frunk kit to my car. I don't use the frunk often because I hate putting hand prints on the lid to close it.

I know the two main kits out there are Hansshow and TeslaOffer. I'm wondering how the car's touchscreen and app work to control opening and closing. Is it possible to open and close from both the touchscreen and app with either kit? Does the display show the correct open/close status?

What about manual activation? Does either kit allow you to tug on the lid while it's open to initiate closing, or does it have to be done through the app and/or touchscreen?

I know I've seen answers to these questions buried in other threads but can't seem to find them now.

I'm interested in adding a power frunk kit to my car. I don't use the frunk often because I hate putting hand prints on the lid to close it.

I know the two main kits out there are Hansshow and TeslaOffer. I'm wondering how the car's touchscreen and app work to control opening and closing. Is it possible to open and close from both the touchscreen and app with either kit? Does the display show the correct open/close status?

What about manual activation? Does either kit allow you to tug on the lid while it's open to initiate closing, or does it have to be done through the app and/or touchscreen?

I know I've seen answers to these questions buried in other threads but can't seem to find them now.

Try Abstract Ocean for their automatic struts. They aren't electric but do the job. Press "open trunk/frunk" on the app or touch screen and, presto, the selected one opens all the way.

My advice is the Hansshow kit. It doesn't require being interfaced with the car's CAN bus and isn't affected by a software update. It will do all you want it to do. You close it by hitting the button on the FOB the center screen or the app.

Just got my 3 5 days ago:) I too am very OCD about getting finger prints on the hood. Glad I saw this post! After looking at their websites I think TeslaOffer seems a little sturdy and well thought out. You can use ur app to open and close and there is actually a button inside frunk that you can push to closed the frunk. Interested in seeing if there is anyone here has done these mods and their feedback:)

Reactions: destructure00
My advice is the Hansshow kit. It doesn't require being interfaced with the car's CAN bus and isn't affected by a software update. It will do all you want it to do. You close it by hitting the button on the FOB the center screen or the app.

Are you sure the TelsaOffer frunk kit taps into canbus? I know the trunk kit does, but reading the install instructions for the frunk kit I'm not seeing where it interfaces. Could be missing something though.

like you OP I'm not fond of fingerprints on my trunk and was planning on doing the Hansshow power frunk but realized that you have to gain access to the tow hook to do some wiring and my PPF on the front bumper is one complete set with no cut-outs around the sensors.

Wasn't willing to sacrifice cutting it out and having dirt accumulate around it. Maybe in the future.

like you OP I'm not fond of fingerprints on my trunk and was planning on doing the Hansshow power frunk but realized that you have to gain access to the tow hook to do some wiring and my PPF on the front bumper is one complete set with no cut-outs around the sensors.

Wasn't willing to sacrifice cutting it out and having dirt accumulate around it. Maybe in the future.

In the Teslaoffer video I posted the guy mentions something a out not having to run wires behind the bumper, not sure if that's the manual release cable he's talking about? I looked at the instructions and it shows the cable, so no idea.

I ordered the Hansshow kit.

I’ve installed the Hansshow frunk kit and love it. It has made my frunk my go-to storage. Before the kit, I rarely used it.

The tow hook pop out is where the kit puts a manual release, should your car’s battery fail and you need to open the frunk. If you don’t want to affect your PPF, just leave that step out during installation. But you sacrifice opening the frunk without power.

I’ve installed the Hansshow frunk kit and love it. It has made my frunk my go-to storage. Before the kit, I rarely used it.

I carry a backpack with my laptop and other stuff to and from work, normally sits in my passenger seat. Kind of a pain to get in and out of the car with it without going around to open the passenger door, and it's in the way when I have passengers. I think backpack will be relocated to the frunk, should work well since I always back into my parking space in the garage at work..

So I gotta ask. You're OCD about handprints yet you bought a car whose only interface is a 15" touch screen...

Reactions: opieor
Thanks destructure00 and all for this info! An automated frunk would be great especially in these covid-19 days with curbside pickups for take-out food and - more importantly ;-) - beer from local breweries here in NorCal. Drive up, open the trunk, they can drop in the stuff, close it, all touches and easy. And with the current spate of wildfires: smoke-free! Now all I need is the money to get this done...

Reactions: destructure00
Thanks destructure00 and all for this info! An automated frunk would be great especially in these covid-19 days with curbside pickups for take-out food and - more importantly ;-) - beer from local breweries here in NorCal. Drive up, open the trunk, they can drop in the stuff, close it, all touches and easy. And with the current spate of wildfires: smoke-free! Now all I need is the money to get this done...

I've been using mine for takeout quite a bit. Can do touchless like you said, and it keeps the food smell out of the car.