Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Power Liftgate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I respect digging in. But that's a bit of work for
the bloody trunk to close.

If you don't have to have the electric close, to install
the 4129 struts with the springs was literally 5 minutes
and $40 in parts. The 6304 frunk struts were $20 and
5 min to install. Just sayin'

Have the new struts on the drunk and trunk. I find them inadequate. If it works then great and I will post a video. Wasn't looking for the cheapest way at this point. The same logic goes to the trunk opened for free so why pay $40 dollars for it to open more.

Wonder if any of these installation would void the warranty :rolleyes:
Im willing to find out but I suspect that it will not.
So what’s the warranty on this product? I.e. what do you do when the control box gets glitchy and/or fails altogether, or you have electronics issues with the unit itself? (Either soon after install or down the road). Someone brought up a great point in that will this void any service warranty on your Tesla with all the electrical hacking and tapping?
(Re: Wiring for power directly to the 12V).......Seems there were many numerous issues with people running dashcams off the 12V and the 12V failing and needing replacement. Tesla was replacing them initially out of good will but then caught on and apparently stopped doing this due to the numerous direct wirings to the battery and causing issues.

Ski
So what’s the warranty on this product? I.e. what do you do when the control box gets glitchy and/or fails altogether, or you have electronics issues with the unit itself? (Either soon after install or down the road). Someone brought up a great point in that will this void any service warranty on your Tesla with all the electrical hacking and tapping?
(Re: Wiring for power directly to the 12V).......Seems there were many numerous issues with people running dashcams off the 12V and the 12V failing and needing replacement. Tesla was replacing them initially out of good will but then caught on and apparently stopped doing this due to the numerous direct wirings to the battery and causing issues.

Ski
I have had a powered lift on my past 6 cars. This isnt new or revolutionary technology and has been a successful mod to early Model S. If it breaks I will order another one or do what everyone is doing now. Getting out of my car and manually open and close the trunk. The point is I like modding my car and this is something I want. Hopefully I can post a successful install shortly.

Let's dispel the whole "will X void my warranty?"

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No, but Tesla isn't responsible for covering issues due to the modifications you made and any damage caused by it. E.g, Telsa can't refuse to fix your rear defroster because you installed a trunk lift unless they can PROVE the installation of the trunk lift is the cause for the broken rear defroster.

Ski
Agreed, there is definitely a good reason they didn't apply it due to the electronics. Plus, i'd be afraid of anything shorting out; especially a made in China part. lol

Have the new struts on the drunk and trunk. I find them inadequate. If it works then great and I will post a video. Wasn't looking for the cheapest way at this point. The same logic goes to the trunk opened for free so why pay $40 dollars for it to open more.

In what way "inadequate"? Do you mean that struts don't open the
trunk & frunk, or rather that you want the full electric open and close?

I'm trying to understand here. Is it the urge to mod or actual benefits
of electric (whir whirr whirrr) opening (and closing) that make you
willing to do this? Not being confrontational, just curious.

In what way "inadequate"? Do you mean that struts don't open the
trunk & frunk, or rather that you want the full electric open and close?

I'm trying to understand here. Is it the urge to mod or actual benefits
of electric (whir whirr whirrr) opening (and closing) that make you
willing to do this? Not being confrontational, just curious.
If your being curious - with the new struts I hate that I have to manually close the trunk. I hate the effort it takes to close it now, I hate looking g at the stupid springs and I hate now load squeal it makes when closing. To me it's embarrassing. In my garage at work every day I pop open the trunk and watch the guy struggle to close the trunk lid. The struts require additional effort. I think its the greatest omission outside of the heated steering wheel and lack steering of wheel display. I want a button in my trunk and like the foot sensor which the model x or s do not have. I think replacing the struts are a better solution than what comes from the factory but if we are all being honest I don't know who wants to have to manually close a trunk or have one without height adjustment. I have a 77k Model 3 P+ and can afford a 650 dollar accessory. Just like I have tint, carbon fiber center console, CF aftermarket spolierupdated custom bading and aluminum dead rest and custom mats. What I will never understand is someone posts a link about a modification and people ask why would do that. Not talking about u but I don't think one person would have said no to automatic lift gate if they had the option.

Attachments

• IMG_20190124_155843.jpg
    IMG_20190124_155843.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20190125_122703.jpg
    IMG_20190125_122703.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 138
@Lee_B thanks for your reply. Personally I don't find the trunk or frunk closing to be
noticeably different, or noisier. IMHO the Tesla Red trunk springs add a decorative touch ;-)

I was thinking of asking via the chat to the HK Chinese guys, but after my experiences
in China, I feel best as far far away from China and its ever-intrusive govt as possible.
My question was how the foot sensor works from a security standpoint, what prevents
anyone from opening the trunk that way. Or do you order a special RFID sock or shoe?

If anyone can open it, that might be a solution to the all too frequent little back window B&E,
just let them get in and find nothing worth stealing. Maybe a sticker, put foot here, no break
glass LOL.

My question was how the foot sensor works from a security standpoint, what prevents anyone from opening the trunk that way. Or do you order a special RFID sock or shoe?

There are plenty of cars that have the foot sensor - it's really no different than the exterior handle under the trunk lid, it will not just open by anyone pressing the switch, the car needs to be unlocked or phone/fob nearby.

Tesla needs a foot sensor for the frunk so you can open it without using the app or going to the center screen.

I think it's really cool that there is a growing range of after-market add-on's to TM3's.
Like this one.

Having two other power lifting and foot sensor trunk opening cars in my garage, I have to admit that this feature is not particularly useful for my daily routine. I do sometimes open the trunk remotely, to let kids get something out of it while I'm far away from the car, bu that's about it.

However, the fact that this product is now available, and reasonably priced, is pretty awesome!

a

P.S.: For those who inquired - rear foot sensor opens the trunk only when the car is either unlocked, or senses the owner's phone/keyfob nearby (auto-unlocks for keyless entry). Thus there are no security issues around it.

Reactions: Lee_B
Agreed, there is definitely a good reason they didn't apply it due to the electronics. Plus, i'd be afraid of anything shorting out; especially a made in China part. lol
Their is a great reason why this wasn't included; cost. That goes with the suspension and unheated steering wheel. Lower margins equal less premium equipment and materials. Its silly to assume IMHO that somehow a vehicle manufacturer cannot put a automatic trunk in a vehicle when it has been doing so for other models for the past 5 years. It makes more sense that we no longer have Alcantara headliners, steel spring suspension, power liftgates or presenting handles, etc... Because Tesla wants to keep this car less premium than the S and increase the profit margins

Reactions: ElectricTravel
And doo-dads are failure-prone. Look at all the repaired Model S door handles
that added a lot of moving parts and electronics for very little real functionality.
The Model 3 door handles are smarter, not less "premium".

I like my self-positioning seat and steering wheel, and I have a Me setting and
and Easy Entry setting, but I'm thinking of disabling the Easy Entry change,
because it slows down startup, waiting for those motors/gears to work, and
they are more likely to fail with excess use, for pretty minor benefit. Once the
peasants have been impressed, it comes down to what's worth what.

that added a lot of moving parts and electronics for very little real functionality.
The Model 3 door handles are smarter, n

they are more likely to fail with excess use, for pretty minor benefit. Once the
The Model 3 door handles are smarter, not less "premium".

The Model 3 door handles are FAR less premium than the Model S. We are now going to pretend that pushing and pulling a handle is somehow better than one that pops out to greet your hand when u walk up to it.
Honestly u lose credibility with statements like that. We oen the cheapest car Tesla makes. It's the least luxurious. It doesn't have a sunroof option, heated steering wheel, drivers gauge screen, no bio airfilter, no automatic headrest, no heated battery management system and no air suspension. Telsa made compromises to reduce cost. They didn't make the compromise to make you feel smarter. It was just to reduce cost.

In addition its not a feature to leave stuff off that other cars in that price category have. Now the positive is that it's a amazing car. An amazing car without an automatic trunk that I plan to address with a gadget that I will have and you will not.