Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Power Liftgate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Send me a PM and I'll get you hooked up with the latest update. You need a microSD card that's 32GB or less and the ability to access the control box. It's not too bad.
Yep it’s a quick update - maybe about 10-15 seconds of flashing lights and you are done. It took a lot longer to take the trunk apart to get access to the control box and put it back together again. Hopefully this isn’t a common occurrence.

For me the trunk button stopped working after the 2019.28.3.1 update but the app and the screen would still open the trunk. After applying the update, opening via the button on the trunk started to work again.

Thanks for the replies. It's been a real hassle using the trunk these past several days. Haven't had time to dig in, but I contacted the vendor and will be getting another controller and fuse to test. Will update which or both. My power is wired to the 12v battery next to windshield wipers.

So it turned out to be a blown fuse from the cable which connects to the battery (12V). I got some from Autozone and replaced it. I also got a replacement controller unit. After both installed, all was fine except the foot sensor doesn't close and hitting the lift gate handle didn't close either. Apparently the new controller had the latest update already. Didn't know that, so I went ahead and update with an older one that I had. Will flash it with newer software tomorrow.

Btw, has anyone installed the auto open struts for the frunk? Any recommended brand?

So it turned out to be a blown fuse from the cable which connects to the battery (12V). I got some from Autozone and replaced it. I also got a replacement controller unit. After both installed, all was fine except the foot sensor doesn't close and hitting the lift gate handle didn't close either. Apparently the new controller had the latest update already. Didn't know that, so I went ahead and update with an older one that I had. Will flash it with newer software tomorrow.

Btw, has anyone installed the auto open struts for the frunk? Any recommended brand?

When you say the liftgate handle doesn't close, you mean the button that would be (almost) out of reach when the gate is open? Or do you mean the button that you install on the interior of the car?

Yes Tesla trunk button that's really hard to reach, but you can pull the lift gate down slight to reach it. If you pull it down too much, the auto close kicks in. Anyhow, I got the latest update and applied this morning. All is fine now.

I was interested in their soft close door solution, but now? OMG can you imagine not being able to get into the car because of an update?
Model 3 Soft Closing Doors – Tesla Offer

You can't crawl into the trunk and manually open the doors.....or anything like that.

You would just be locked out of your car. permanently right? Are you kidding me?

Depends on how it's designed I guess. The door locks don't need CAN wiring, I'd assume.

So finally prepared and installed yesterday. Took most of the day as I like to take my time and make sure everything is lined up and avoid damage. Thanks to all the videos and tips from everyone on this thread. Super helpful.
Works pretty good so far expect when opening the trunk, it opens with almost a violent jerk and then slows down. I am afraid if someone is too close to the trunk would get scared :)
Anyone else encountered the trunk opening like this?
Thanks!

Do they open via CAN?

or Don't they open via CAN?

Hmmmm?

There's no way to actuate the doors via CAN (unlike the trunk), so I'd say no. They report status via CAN (or maybe LIN, actually), but the module to actuate the door is all local. There's literally no reason to ever tap the CAN lines.

The reason the liftgate taps the CAN is twofold:
  • To allow the app to actuate the trunk
  • To allow the screen to actuate the trunk
Neither of these are required for the doors.

So finally prepared and installed yesterday. Took most of the day as I like to take my time and make sure everything is lined up and avoid damage. Thanks to all the videos and tips from everyone on this thread. Super helpful.
Works pretty good so far expect when opening the trunk, it opens with almost a violent jerk and then slows down. I am afraid if someone is too close to the trunk would get scared :)
Anyone else encountered the trunk opening like this?
Thanks!

That's normal. It opens pretty quickly for a couple seconds, then slows down.

That's normal. It opens pretty quickly for a couple seconds, then slows down.
Thanks Kirby64 for the confirmation. Its weird because seeing some of the videos (like Tesla Raj), they open pretty smoothly but others (like comraddan) opens pretty fast like mine. Mine appears to be more exaggerated than others from what I observed. I'll keep an eye on it and will post a video if it still bothers me.

Thanks Kirby64 for the confirmation. Its weird because seeing some of the videos (like Tesla Raj), they open pretty smoothly but others (like comraddan) opens pretty fast like mine. Mine appears to be more exaggerated than others from what I observed. I'll keep an eye on it and will post a video if it still bothers me.

Just thought of it, perhaps adjusting the latch might help ease the pressure when opening.

There's no way to actuate the doors via CAN (unlike the trunk), so I'd say no. They report status via CAN (or maybe LIN, actually), but the module to actuate the door is all local. There's literally no reason to ever tap the CAN lines.

The reason the liftgate taps the CAN is twofold:
  • To allow the app to actuate the trunk
  • To allow the screen to actuate the trunk
Neither of these are required for the doors.

Ok. but.....

Tesla records EVERYTHING about the function of the car. I was thinking that pressing the inside button to open the door is recorded. I am also thinking that opening the door via the outside handle is also recorded. I was also thinking that CAN messages operates the door release solenoid/mechanism.

When Tesla's are in an accident - Tesla has been known to provide TONS of situational data. Almost everything has a sensor and such - ultimately communicating with the CPU via CAN data.

Ssshhhh, but I ordered and installed the wireless CAN bus reader from EVTV and it shows CAN data when I press the drivers side door open button. Its a separate address from the passengers side door open button.

Ok. but.....

Tesla records EVERYTHING about the function of the car. I was thinking that pressing the inside button to open the door is recorded. I am also thinking that opening the door via the outside handle is also recorded. I was also thinking that CAN messages operates the door release solenoid/mechanism.

When Tesla's are in an accident - Tesla has been known to provide TONS of situational data. Almost everything has a sensor and such - ultimately communicating with the CPU via CAN data.

Ssshhhh, but I ordered and installed the wireless CAN bus reader from EVTV and it shows CAN data when I press the drivers side door open button. Its a separate address from the passengers side door open button.

Yeah, the module in the door sends commands over CAN, but that doesn't mean you need to tap the CANbus for any reason. The liftgate can work just fine without CAN if you don't need to use the app or screen to open/close the trunk. Since there's no way to use the app or screen to open/close the door, why would you need to tap into the CANbus?

Yeah, the module in the door sends commands over CAN, but that doesn't mean you need to tap the CANbus for any reason. The liftgate can work just fine without CAN if you don't need to use the app or screen to open/close the trunk. Since there's no way to use the app or screen to open/close the door, why would you need to tap into the CANbus?

How does the Liftgate release work without CAN?

The reason the Tesla Offer liftgate function stopped working recently is because Tesla changed the CAN bus addressing.

The screen liftgate release didn't work
The app liftgate release didn't work
The outside trunk button liftgate release stopped working
Nothing worked concerning the liftgate release.

Nothing worked because Tesla changed the CAN addressing and the Tesla Offer CPU didn't know it.

Soooo.....if the door works the same as the Liftgate...…?

Last edited:
How does the Liftgate release work without CAN?

The reason the Tesla Offer liftgate function stopped working recently is because Tesla changed the CAN bus addressing.

The screen liftgate release didn't work
The app liftgate release didn't work
The outside trunk button liftgate release stopped working
Nothing worked concerning the liftgate release.

Nothing worked because Tesla changed the CAN addressing and the Tesla Offer CPU didn't know it.

Soooo.....if the door works the same as the Liftgate...…?

The TeslaOffer one doesn't work because it was designed in a certain way. There's another kit someone linked that works just fine with no CAN connection at all. It even lets you close the liftgate using the button on the screen.

Here's how you design the liftgate to work without CAN:
  • Put something in line with the trunk latch (just like the TeslaOffer kit)
  • When the button inside the trunk is pressed and the latch is considered 'closed', send it along to the car, trigger the car to 'unlatch', then start running the trunk struts to open the liftgate
  • After some time, spoof to the car that the trunk is 'latched' (even though it isn't). That would let the trunk button on the screen work fine
  • If you receive a trunk pop command (from any buttons, or the screen) while open, run the trunk struts in reverse, close, trunk, done
Only problem I see with this method is that the Tesla doesn't know the 'true' position of the latch. You'd have to spoof the position so the screen works properly.

TeslaOffer kit is relying on access to the CANbus to know the trunk latch position before doing stuff... so it would have issues.

Honestly, not really sure why they designed this kit to need CANbus. Maybe there's something I'm missing as per required functionality? App support? Or maybe it goes into lower power mode when the car is locked?

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
The TeslaOffer one doesn't work because it was designed in a certain way. There's another kit someone linked that works just fine with no CAN connection at all. It even lets you close the liftgate using the button on the screen.

Here's how you design the liftgate to work without CAN:
  • Put something in line with the trunk latch (just like the TeslaOffer kit)
  • When the button inside the trunk is pressed and the latch is considered 'closed', send it along to the car, trigger the car to 'unlatch', then start running the trunk struts to open the liftgate
  • After some time, spoof to the car that the trunk is 'latched' (even though it isn't). That would let the trunk button on the screen work fine
  • If you receive a trunk pop command (from any buttons, or the screen) while open, run the trunk struts in reverse, close, trunk, done
Only problem I see with this method is that the Tesla doesn't know the 'true' position of the latch. You'd have to spoof the position so the screen works properly.

TeslaOffer kit is relying on access to the CANbus to know the trunk latch position before doing stuff... so it would have issues.

Honestly, not really sure why they designed this kit to need CANbus. Maybe there's something I'm missing as per required functionality? App support? Or maybe it goes into lower power mode when the car is locked?

What?

I'm looking at how the TeslaOffer kit is working RIGHT NOW.

Its using CAN bus.

I'm not looking to re-design it or anything.

I fully understand why TeslaOffer used CANbus to operate this unit. CANbus is so easy to read and program and there would be no hurdles to overcome to get the car's information.

The ONLY problem with CAN bus is that the owners of the CAN bus coding can change it whenever they want......and they did. AND they will in the future.
Unfortunately the ONLY problem has/will be a huge problem with its functionality in the future.

IMHO TeslaOffer isn't large enough to keep up with Tesla.

I'm holding off on my install because I need my trunk to work ALL of the time.