Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Power Reduced Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, been reading all these threads and kind of surprised at the similarities among them which conflict with my own issue.

Had supercharged (urban) for about 10 minutes then pulled into a parking space and went to a movie. 2+ hours later, backed into the same supercharger and charged to just over 90% before disconnecting. When I got back in and stepped on the brake, I got the Power Reduced, pull over, and exit re-enter may resolve messages.

Tried all the standard fixes including powering off for 5 minutes both in and out of the car. Support checked the messages and had me try a few more power cycles then called a tow.

Unfortunately, it was a Friday night (of course, I had a work trip planned the next day) so won’t have any news until Monday at the earliest.

So, I wasn’t moving when this happened (convenient place to fail), everything else still worked (still had heat, electrical, and could charge), and mine is a RWD which is over a year and a half old and has just over 17K miles.

Guessing the oil pump but we shall see.

Hmmm, been reading all these threads and kind of surprised at the similarities among them which conflict with my own issue.

Had supercharged (urban) for about 10 minutes then pulled into a parking space and went to a movie. 2+ hours later, backed into the same supercharger and charged to just over 90% before disconnecting. When I got back in and stepped on the brake, I got the Power Reduced, pull over, and exit re-enter may resolve messages.

Tried all the standard fixes including powering off for 5 minutes both in and out of the car. Support checked the messages and had me try a few more power cycles then called a tow.

Unfortunately, it was a Friday night (of course, I had a work trip planned the next day) so won’t have any news until Monday at the earliest.

So, I wasn’t moving when this happened (convenient place to fail), everything else still worked (still had heat, electrical, and could charge), and mine is a RWD which is over a year and a half old and has just over 17K miles.

Guessing the oil pump but we shall see.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned getting this message and scouring through the boards....is that there are mult reasons that can cause this error message. Post back what ended up being your issue.

On Tuesday, they told me “drive unit” and part estimated to arrive Monday. Asked for more details about what went wrong with the drive unit but no info available yet. Hoping there will be something useful after they pull it because I don’t want to go out of warranty with an unknown like this; especially if there are multiple causes for drive unit faults and they haven’t redesigned and/or squashed the bugs.

I know the drive unit is nowhere as complex a replacement as an engine or even transmission but it is semi-analogous and I went 24 years without having to worry about either on my last car (okay, there were occasional shift lags in later years but nothing which “bricked” my car). I have every intention of getting at least as many years out of my Model 3 and truly expect it to require less rather than more maintenance in that time. On top of that, I also predict it will still be a fairly up to date vehicle thanks to OTA advancements, hot swappable hardware, and classically attractive style.

Here’s hoping.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Well, two weeks after they first saw my car, I was able to pick it up from the SC.

Unfortunately, they had no notes on the actual fault and the diagnostic guy was at their soon-to-open new location (might send me more info if he has it) so I don’t know what was actually wrong with the drive unit. The guy who did the swap said it “felt mechanical” because there was resistance when they pushed it which usually doesn’t happen when the fault is on the board. Since it would present an obvious fault code, they said it wasn’t the oil pump.

If I learn more, I’ll post but, suffice to say, the new unit is at least one generation newer than my original so I’m hoping they’ve already addressed whatever caused this problem.

I am here cause surprise I got the same error. I called Tesla support and they were like it’s fine go power cycle car. It happened again today. I called and the support guy was like your car is reporting that it is low on coolant. Pls make a service center appt as mobile can’t do it. Since next appt was next week. I called the service center and asked if it was safe to stop at super charger or so I need to bring it in at a certain state of charge next week. She took my logs to a tech and came back with answer of tech said pls bring your car to service center ASAP. Don’t wait for next week. My brother just dropped it off a few hours go and they gave him a loaner S. Since I don’t like driving the S, he is lending me his Model 3

I am here cause surprise I got the same error. I called Tesla support and they were like it’s fine go power cycle car. It happened again today. I called and the support guy was like your car is reporting that it is low on coolant. Pls make a service center appt as mobile can’t do it. Since next appt was next week. I called the service center and asked if it was safe to stop at super charger or so I need to bring it in at a certain state of charge next week. She took my logs to a tech and came back with answer of tech said pls bring your car to service center ASAP. Don’t wait for next week. My brother just dropped it off a few hours go and they gave him a loaner S. Since I don’t like driving the S, he is lending me his Model 3

do you have a performance model?

Got this reduced power / exit enter vehicle may fix msg today in my March 2019 build m3p. Have 21k miles on it.

Was leaving Detroit in traffic when the msg came up. Was able to drive 40 miles home, mostly freeway. Power was definitely reduced but cruising 75mph was no problem. I have the Scan my Tesla app and it was clear the front drive motor was disabled.

After getting home and exiting and entering vehicle the error cleared and all seems well. I guess I wait for a 2nd occurrence before calling service
20191230_150550.jpg

Last edited:
I have an appointment to bring my late 2019 built Stealth P3D into the service center this coming week for the power reduced error.
They've contacted me through text message and said they would diagnose remotely but haven't heard anything back.

I got the error maybe once or twice a week before but now I'm seeing it more often. Once every couple days and sometimes multiple times in a day. I have gotten it while cruising 70+ mph on the freeway. It limits me to 60 mph so I usually hop off the freeway and take local home or stop and reset it by getting out and getting back in the car. Hope it's an easy fix or I hope I get a loaner if they keep my car at the SC

I notice that my car has a weird hum but it's not a steady hum. It varies in pitch. Imagine a fan constantly changing speeds. Also with that I'll hear a liquid flushing sound as if a bunch of water is running underneath the car. Anyone else have this?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I have an appointment to bring my late 2019 built Stealth P3D into the service center this coming week for the power reduced error.
They've contacted me through text message and said they would diagnose remotely but haven't heard anything back.

I got the error maybe once or twice a week before but now I'm seeing it more often. Once every couple days and sometimes multiple times in a day. I have gotten it while cruising 70+ mph on the freeway. It limits me to 60 mph so I usually hop off the freeway and take local home or stop and reset it by getting out and getting back in the car. Hope it's an easy fix or I hope I get a loaner if they keep my car at the SC

I notice that my car has a weird hum but it's not a steady hum. It varies in pitch. Imagine a fan constantly changing speeds. Also with that I'll hear a liquid flushing sound as if a bunch of water is running underneath the car. Anyone else have this?
Mine was a easy fix. Just had to wait for the part for 1 day. Pretty sure yours will be. Some oil pump just gone bad and the car reduce the power to not burn the motors.

Reactions: pa1ntbru5h
Well the news is back from Tesla
A rabbit ate some cables! New one on me....what the heck?
Only $142 fix, but the car is 5 hours away in Denver and I'm working 3 weeks straight. Not clear how I'll get it back.
So there you go......guessing a rabbit could have wandered into the parking lot at the airport? At home the car is garaged at night.
Still relatively lucky for you - I have a similar issue, though not sure about the root cause. Tesla Service is asking me for $500 to fix the issue for Model 3 (4 years old) - waiting to hear back from them after the service center takes a look.