Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 power seats "soft limits" on adjustment range: New feature?

jsmay311

Apr 22, 2016
Chicago suburbs
I recently noticed that if I try to slide my Model 3's power seats all the way back, they come to a stop about 0.5-1 inches before they've reached their actual physical limit in how far back they will go. After the seat stops, if I let go of the switch and then reengage it to try to move the seat rearward again, the seat will then continue moving back that last 0.5-1 inches until it reaches its true limit.

After making this observation, I did a similar test moving the seat forward. Same thing. It stops prematurely. Then I tested the seatback angle. Again, same thing. It won't go forward or recline all the way on the first press/hold of the switch. It stops early, and then you have to re-press the switch to get it to continue. (Of note: when moving the seatback forward/upright, this "soft limit" is nowhere near the actual limit. It stops much earlier than the physical limit.) I also confirmed that this behavior is the same on both the driver and passenger seats.

I don't think it used to work this way.

So is this a new, intended behavior that Tesla added in the software? (I.e., can anyone verify that their Model 3 is the same or different?)

Or is this just some kind of bug and my seat position limits need to be recalibrated?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC