Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery this week of new M3LR. Premium connectivity not working which is rather annoying. Told by support that it’s a known problem at their end which they’re working on fixing.
Anyone else have a similar issue or more information.?

Took delivery this week of new M3LR. Premium connectivity not working which is rather annoying.
Do you have no premium connectivity or no cellular connectivity at all? Can you use Spotify or see traffic on the map (once you select that option on) when your car is stationary and connected to your (home) Wifi?

The reason I am asking is I picked up my new LR about 10 days ago and it had a non-activated (or otherwise faulty) Telstra SIM in it, which the mobile service person was able to swap out for me and it had then worked perfectly. He said he had seen a number like that but wasn’t sure if they were faulty SIMs or not activated correctly or what, but the replacement he put into my car worked immediately.

This is what the signal strength looked like with the dud SIM in my car (greyed-out bars and a diagonal slash across them):

0CE5C236-EAF0-4E42-AE12-A460C780C631.jpeg

What I did as a workaround until the mobile service visit was to use the hotspot on my phone to allow the car to connect via Wifi. Note you have to re-enable wifi (from the dropdown menu when you tap on the cellular/wifi icon) every time you select R or D, but other than that it meant I could still use live traffic, Spotify, etc while driving.

Reactions: Hovean
Thanks Ted, yes no cellular connectivity. Basic navigation doesn’t even work. The mobile wifi hotspot workaround is ok. What’s strange is that the support tech I spoke to said the SIM was ok (not sure how he knew that) and that it’s an engineering issue at their end.

I didn’t try calling them to explain and debug it over the phone, just thought I would book a mobile service call (in part to see how that worked out).

The chap who came out (Torsten) was very good - he ran some diagnostics on my car from his iPhone and said everything else was ok other than the cellular connectivity, and he said easiest and most likely/simple thing wrong was a bad SIM card. He carries spare ones so it was about 5 minutes to swap.

On the Whirlpool forums there is another new LR owner who it sounds like has the same issue - certainly the same symptom - but as he already has a service request for his car open doesn’t seem able to open a separate mobile service request for hopefully the same simple SIM swap fix.

Odds are the three of us with cars in the same batch and the same symptom are more likely than not to be from the same cause...

Yup, our premium connectivity has been dead for last 2 days. I logged into my Tesla account online and see that they billed me on 3/7/21 and the card hasn't expired. Tried to use the online support, but there is no option for this service and it sends you to a chat feature, which is only available during "banker's hours" - 8am-3pm M-F PST. I then tried "Contact" at the bottom of the page and the form made me pick between one of two contact subjects - solar installation or become a solar installer.

What in cripes name is going on with this company? My wife loves her M3, but the day I got rid of my X and got into a 2020 Porsche CS4 was the day I said goodbye to service hell (as in not needing any, but having access should I). Seems my wife's car has me in some sort of purgatory.

Last edited:
I didn’t try calling them to explain and debug it over the phone, just thought I would book a mobile service call (in part to see how that worked out).

The chap who came out (Torsten) was very good - he ran some diagnostics on my car from his iPhone and said everything else was ok other than the cellular connectivity, and he said easiest and most likely/simple thing wrong was a bad SIM card. He carries spare ones so it was about 5 minutes to swap.

On the Whirlpool forums there is another new LR owner who it sounds like has the same issue - certainly the same symptom - but as he already has a service request for his car open doesn’t seem able to open a separate mobile service request for hopefully the same simple SIM swap fix.

Odds are the three of us with cars in the same batch and the same symptom are more likely than not to be from the same cause...
Had same problem on my M3LR. I tried debugging via CS, but didn't solve. Service came next working day to swap out the SIM.

So far, so good.

So... Premium Connectivity for my Model 3 expired on 23 March.

On 24 March I renewed and put in my credit card details - which have been billed for $9.99.

Today (26 March) I get an email from Tesla saying my Premium Connectivity has expired. When I log into my Tesla account it says it is active.

For a company that prides itself on technology that are not particularly compentent.

So... Premium Connectivity for my Model 3 expired on 23 March.

On 24 March I renewed and put in my credit card details - which have been billed for $9.99.

Today (26 March) I get an email from Tesla saying my Premium Connectivity has expired. When I log into my Tesla account it says it is active.

For a company that prides itself on technology that are not particularly compentent.

Competent even ;)