Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Premium Package is a STEAL (By Tesla standards)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's the nature of bundles that some people wish they could get just one or two items on the list. Tesla has decided they need to bundle to make the 3 work, so them's the breaks.

Personally I agree the package is a solid deal, and I'm sad I can only afford to get it for one of our two future 3s.

It's actually a very smart bundle, and the only reason I'd have for being mad is that it cleverly gets me to part with my money. For me, the only two features that were must-haves were the roof and the stereo. Others will have different must-haves. But the total of the items I really wanted was ~$4000. So even though no other single item would have gotten me to part with that extra $1000, the sum of all the added features ends up feeling like a pretty solid value to me.

Don't care.

Don't care.

Don't care.

Don't care.

Nice to have; would pay, but not essential

Don't care.

Don't care.

Really don't care.

Don't care.

Don't care.

I just really, really want:
(1) Heated mirrors: this is the most important option. This is the difference between standing outside your car in severe cold scraping off ice and not even having to think about it. (The base model is indicated as having power mirrors, without mention of heated mirrors.)
(2) Heated front seats: very much want. My wife enjoys the heated seats in our Volt and so probably wouldn't want to go back. Based on information not in the press kit, but given by others the base will have heated front seats.

If the base model has/had heated mirrors and heated front seats I'd skip the PUP entirely.

EDIT:
Note that the Chevrolet Bolt LT has base heated mirrors and heated front cloth seats + heated steering wheel cost $555.

I'm thinking that I'll have to stump up for the PUP to have any chance of getting the car by end 2018Q2, and that some time in 2019 or 2020 they'll do something about the basics for cold markets.

Heated front seats are standard. No upgrade required.

It's the nature of bundles that some people wish they could get just one or two items on the list. Tesla has decided they need to bundle to make the 3 work, so them's the breaks.
This. If they offered individual premium items there would be just as many people complaining about not being to get them in a bundle to save money...

Heated front seats are standard. No upgrade required.
Can you post a link to where it says that? It isn't in any of Tesla's official info that I've seen.

This. If they offered individual premium items there would be just as many people complaining about not being to get them in a bundle to save money...

Can you post a link to where it says that? It isn't in any of Tesla's official info that I've seen.
It was listed in the cell phone shots that were supposedly of the employee configurator. I never saw if it was confirmed as real or not.

It wouldn't cost more then getting everything. Probably cost like $4k.

I wouldn't get the following:
1) Leather seats
2) Heated seats
3) Premium audio system
4) Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
5) Premium cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs
It would if Tesla had to make significant changes to assembly. The parts cost of a smaller package would be lower, but it's possible for the cost increase associated with the additional manufacturing complexity to be greater than the savings from paying for fewer things. It might be possible that everyone would pay more in that situation, including people who didn't want anything from the PUP.

Last edited:

Per the @Model3owners twitter, this is a screenshot of the standard package order screen. Supposedly the premium package adds heating to the steering wheel and rear seats, much like the winter package in the Model S. Would make sense, as heated seats are more efficient than heating the air.

upload_2017-8-21_14-52-57.png

Per the @Model3owners twitter, this is a screenshot of the standard package order screen. Supposedly the premium package adds heating to the steering wheel and rear seats, much like the winter package in the Model S. Would make sense, as heated seats are more efficient than heating the air.

View attachment 242892
I've seen this, but has there been any confirmation of it's validity?

It's fun to discuss, but at the end of the day $5k is a good value for what they are providing. I have no problem getting.
Just compare to the options that come with 3 series BMW. Through a lot of trial & error, I'd think, BMW has come up with these options and prices. I guess Tesla wants to relearn all that, fine.

May be Tesla being new at this - doesn't know how to efficiently configure multiple permutation of options. That doesn't make a bloated option a "steal" if someone doesn't care for most of those options. No different from 150 channels on cable/satellite when I want only a handful. Saying each of those channels when added up would have cost $1,000 - so that 150 channel package is a steal at $200 is not a persuasive argument.

One good thing about Tesla is that they change prices quickly instead of waiting for model year change. So, we'll know I'm right if they change the price or breakup the PUP.

Last edited:
Reactions: internalaudit

View attachment 242892
The screenshot of the PUP interior features doesn't say anything about a heated steering wheel:

qriQPwxjE96ipQW3atpvJjiBLsysJfQjPzjYYqekEh5flYhaIA0MWWk4hXSruwd8rqFlb5hz4oT5cc4yv41WDJT_v2QaBhXlYiOcC9tXmCf35L89RhuBk1bBRJJMFcSGcXBXo5VcesQ=w528-h553-no

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
Maybe when the backlog is cleared they will start doing full customization, but it will take a while.
The hilarious thing about this post is that everyone who posted that they didn't want PUP because "I only want <insert single item here>" - all chose a different "single item". Doesn't change that the package is very good value.
Maybe one day.....

If they offered individual premium items there would be just as many people complaining about not being to get them in a bundle to save money...
Right. The right way to do this would be to bundle together items that most customers would like to buy as a set.

As tech industry is moving from making decisions based on guesses to data - may be Tesla should do some surveys to figure out the optimal options packages.