Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Premium Package is a STEAL (By Tesla standards)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So looking at all that the premium package adds for $5000 I remembered the pricing of similar options when configuring my Model S in mid 2015. Now of course options have changed on the S and X drastically but this comparison does show how far Tesla has come

If I wanted similar options given in the PUP in Model 3 in my S I would need

1) premium interior package $3000
This package gave you alcantara headliner, soft touch materials (in place of hard plastic) and other niceties such as led fog and cornering lights as well as ambeint led lighting

2) leather next gen interior $2500
And these seats are horrible IMO

3) wood interior accent $750

4) sunroof $1250 I know there is a big difference here but the glass roof option used to cost the same before it became standard

5) cold weather package $1000
This gave you the heated seats throughout and heated steering wheel

6) premium sound $2500
This is comparable to the premium sound in Model 3

7) center console with phone dock and 2 more USB ports $1250
This is an aftermarket upgrade offered by Tesla for the said outrageous price. An older model without the rear USB and cup holders costed $750

8) still features that were standard on Model S remaining such as power and electromatic mirrors and driver profiles. Sweetents the deal more

9) also Model 3 premium package comes with a rear fold down armrest a feature much needed in the S. An aftermarket solution from Tesla is like $450 and its semi permanent in that it can't be quickly removed to provide access to the fifth seat

If you're still counting we're at $12,700 vs $5000

Now I know this isn't an exact one to one comparison but still interesting nonetheless. At the very least it's priced at half what you would have payed for similar functionality

And as time goes on aftermarket parts makers step in and start right-sizing the prices of options that were once the realm of the manufacturer only. So if manufacturer doesn't make an attractive deal on a nice thing, someone else will.

Many people would be just as happy having $20 vinyl film of any color / texture applied to dash and 2 hours labor, rather than $750 for real wood.

It all depends. It's a steal if you want the entire package. It's not a steal if you only want a few pieces of the package.
I think this is most people's problem with the PUP. It's not the total cost, it's the fact that you can't pick and choose what you want. I understand why Tesla made this choice but it would have definitely been nice to be able to choose which of the upgrades to get instead of an all or nothing choice.

If I could pick I would only select the following:
1) Power seats
2) Fog lamps
3) Folding side mirrors
4) Glass roof

I think this is most people's problem with the PUP. It's not the total cost, it's the fact that you can't pick and choose what you want. I understand why Tesla made this choice but it would have definitely been nice to be able to choose which of the upgrades to get instead of an all or nothing choice.

If I could pick I would only select the following:
1) Power seats
2) Fog lamps
3) Folding side mirrors
4) Glass roof

Yep. All I want are power seats and the glass roof.

Reactions: ikjadoon
So looking at all that the premium package adds for $5000 I remembered the pricing of similar options when configuring my Model S in mid 2015. Now of course options have changed on the S and X drastically but this comparison does show how far Tesla has come

If I wanted similar options given in the PUP in Model 3 in my S I would need

1) premium interior package $3000
This package gave you alcantara headliner, soft touch materials (in place of hard plastic) and other niceties such as led fog and cornering lights as well as ambeint led lighting
Don't care.

2) leather next gen interior $2500
And these seats are horrible IMO
Don't care.

3) wood interior accent $750
Don't care.

4) sunroof $1250 I know there is a big difference here but the glass roof option used to cost the same before it became standard
Don't care.

5) cold weather package $1000
This gave you the heated seats throughout and heated steering wheel
Nice to have; would pay, but not essential

6) premium sound $2500
This is comparable to the premium sound in Model 3
Don't care.

7) center console with phone dock and 2 more USB ports $1250
This is an aftermarket upgrade offered by Tesla for the said outrageous price. An older model without the rear USB and cup holders costed $750
Don't care.

8) still features that were standard on Model S remaining such as power and electromatic mirrors and driver profiles. Sweetens the deal more
Really don't care.

9) also Model 3 premium package comes with a rear fold down armrest a feature much needed in the S. An aftermarket solution from Tesla is like $450 and its semi permanent in that it can't be quickly removed to provide access to the fifth seat

Don't care.

If you're still counting we're at $12,700 vs $5000

Now I know this isn't an exact one to one comparison but still interesting nonetheless. At the very least it's priced at half what you would have payed for similar functionality
Don't care.

I just really, really want:
(1) Heated mirrors: this is the most important option. This is the difference between standing outside your car in severe cold scraping off ice and not even having to think about it. (The base model is indicated as having power mirrors, without mention of heated mirrors.)
(2) Heated front seats: very much want. My wife enjoys the heated seats in our Volt and so probably wouldn't want to go back. Based on information not in the press kit, but given by others the base will have heated front seats.

If the base model has/had heated mirrors and heated front seats I'd skip the PUP entirely.

EDIT:
Note that the Chevrolet Bolt LT has base heated mirrors and heated front cloth seats + heated steering wheel cost $555.

I'm thinking that I'll have to stump up for the PUP to have any chance of getting the car by end 2018Q2, and that some time in 2019 or 2020 they'll do something about the basics for cold markets.

Last edited:
And pay around 7k for that?
Don't think just because you picked only 70% of the items on the list, the price will also be 70% of the full package. Customization has a cost, a big one.
It wouldn't cost more then getting everything. Probably cost like $4k.

I wouldn't get the following:
1) Leather seats
2) Heated seats
3) Premium audio system
4) Center console with covered storage and docking for two smartphones
5) Premium cabin materials throughout, including open pore wood décor and two rear USBs