Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Preperation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another topic came to mind and that deals with delivery. Did you Tesla owners getcars delivered or did you have to pick it up. Lot's of folks talking about picking up their 3's at the factory. I REALLY don't want to have to screw with registering a car in California and then in Arizona.
You wouldn't have to register your car in California. When I bought my car out of state - you receive a temp registration plate for the state you are registering your car in....which is good for a few weeks or so. Then you register your car when you get back to your home state.

Now Taxes....that's another story. You WILL have to pay California Tax if you pick it up in California.

No one has to pick up their car from the factory unless it is legitimately the nearest location. I think many like to do so and then include a factory tour and some sight-seeing on the way home. You can pick up your car at the nearest store to your home or, if there isn't one near by, I think they still offer the home delivery option.
I don't think its a matter of "having to" pick your car up at the factory. Some want to... In order to be the first to have one, or they don't want to wait for the East Coast delivery delays.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that they "have to" pick their car up in California.

Excellent info so far but have question about the charging info you provide. We don't know if the Model 3 will have dual chargers, but I would like to be able to charge my car as quickly as possible. Not at home, but while touring. I don't want to have to sit at a SC very long before hitting the road again.
Superchargers are a DC connect while the on board chargers (OBC) that can be single or dual are for AC charging. DC charging speed is only really owner affected by battery size.

Wouldn't you think that the Super Charger connector would be the connector we need at home?
Unless they change it. Keep in mind it's not the same in Europe as it is here. There's no defacto standard and Model 3 is a chance to rectify this, it might also explain all the empty space near the charge port in the RCs.

Preparations A through G are done, I'm just going to wait on the next one until I need it. ;)

I would advise against picking up if that means paying 2 duplicated taxes from 2 different states.

Some people can afford to pay duplicated taxes so they pick up at the factory for the convenience of factory tour.
you would only have to pay taxes in both states if your residency state does not have a reciprocity deal with CA. Meaning that you would get credit for any out of state taxes paid. As long as your state taxes are lower than what you pay in CA (and they probably are) then you would not owe any more, however you would not get anything back if you paid extra. I would check with your state to make sure before you decide anything.

I don't think its a matter of "having to" pick your car up at the factory. Some want to... In order to be the first to have one, or they don't want to wait for the East Coast delivery delays.

I can't imagine anyone thinking that they "have to" pick their car up in California.
I'm aware of that, and that's exactly what I said in my post. I was replying to the OP who asked if model S and X owners had to pick up their cars at the factory.

so for me, I live really close to work (~5mile round-trip commute, close to highway so I don't bike), and my company also offers both level1 and level2 charging. Taking into account a particularly busy day of eating out/groceries/etc, I probably won't drive more than 30 miles a day on weekdays. For weekends when I venture out of town I plan to use superchargers.
In my situation, would experts say that installing an NEMA 14/50? just really trying to make frugal decisions.
thanks in advance!

Reactions: AlanSqB
so for me, I live really close to work (~5mile round-trip commute, close to highway so I don't bike), and my company also offers both level1 and level2 charging. Taking into account a particularly busy day of eating out/groceries/etc, I probably won't drive more than 30 miles a day on weekdays. For weekends when I venture out of town I plan to use superchargers.
In my situation, would experts say that installing an NEMA 14/50? just really trying to make frugal decisions.
thanks in advance!
Not an expert but...

Using a standard 120v outlet you can get ~4 miles per hour charge, which is 32 miles if you leave it plugged in for 8 hours overnight. This is definitely the most frugal option in terms of installation.

Installing a NEMA 14/50 will get you in the neighborhood of 20 miles per hour charge - we don't yet know the max amperage the M3 can charge at. Older Model S's could charge at 40 or 80 amps (if dual chargers were installed), newer ones can do 48 or 72 depending on if you got the charger upgrade. The speculation is that the M3 will either match the 48A on the MS, or be somewhere in the 30A range. Regardless, with your situation the NEMA 14/50 should provide more than enough charge. The only downside is that you will need to use your mobile charging cable, and either leave it in your garage if you don't plan on needing it on the go, or roll it back up and put it in your trunk each time you're done using it (or buy a second one).

The HPWC (high power wall charger) is the least frugal option but gives you the most flexibility in terms of input amperage and future Tesla purchases, and also means you can keep your mobile charger in your car (you know, for actual mobile charging :D).

Last edited:
I have one of the AWFUL Blink chargers from the original rollout of my Leaf. I have to flip the breaker from time to time as it still gives me issues.

It has a plug on it and has a 6-50r as an outlet that it connects to.

IMG_20170627_083338.jpg

I know that I can buy the 6-50r adaptor for the mobile connector. (Tesla — NEMA 6-50)

But if I was to install the HPWC instead of the 6-50 outlet for the horrible Blink would they have to rewire or would the current 6-50R wiring suffice?

thanks in advance!
The NEMA 14/50 is what I installed. Plenty of juice to refill the tank offpeak overnight.
Robin

Should have been more specific - people tend to get anywhere from 22 - 29 miles per hour charge, depending on their actual voltage (for residential it's never actually 240, I've seen it in the low 200s before). It's very rare to get in the low 30's and certainly never high 30's or low 40's.
Huh.

The single Tesla owner that used my J1772 Clipper Creek told me the car reported charging at 32 Amps. I didn't have the opportunity to figure out why it was less than 40A. Perhaps my neighbors were gobbling up juice.

Just install an 80 AMP circuit. Its no more expensive than a 40 or a 20 AMP circuit. Why wait?

Was gonna wait and see if they come out with a new version of the HPWC or not before I spend the money for one. If they were going to refresh it the Model 3 launch would be a logical time to do so. Most likely waiting for AWD so I'm in no hurry as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK
I have one of the AWFUL Blink chargers from the original rollout of my Leaf. I have to flip the breaker from time to time as it still gives me issues.

It has a plug on it and has a 6-50r as an outlet that it connects to.

View attachment 232974

I know that I can buy the 6-50r adaptor for the mobile connector. (Tesla — NEMA 6-50)

But if I was to install the HPWC instead of the 6-50 outlet for the horrible Blink would they have to rewire or would the current 6-50R wiring suffice?
You could replace the 6-50 with a HPWC. Just make sure that "the electrician" sets the limit switch correctly for the wiring.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick and cdub