Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Preperation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To current Tesla owners.

Would you share some insight on what to expect in the acquisition process? Such as:

1) Is there a garage wall charger recommended or that you prefer?
2) What kind of closing costs are involved?
Tax, license, shipping, etc?
3) Insurance costs you didn't expect?
4) Vehicle registration costs you didn't expect?
5) Any costs you did not expect?
6) Anything else that you think the Model 3 buyers should know to prepare?

• Helpful
Reactions: DavidP and Stirfelt

I prefer HPWC because of its convenience. It's there waiting for me all the time. There's no need to look for mobile connector to connect.

Once I placed my (Model S/X) order, all the costs/fees/taxes... were listed.

There were no surprise, no other additional costs after that screen.

None. Reasonable quote from Wawanesa (Canada, Oregon, California only).

None. What I saw on the original screen when I ordered was what I got.

None. What I saw on the original screen when I ordered was what I got.

Read up on an Owner's Manual might be helpful

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

My Model 3 preparation:
- Cleaned out the garage

That's pretty much it. I have an OpenEVSE I built by hand and soldering iron way back when. It's charged my LEAF for 3 years now, should be just fine for the Model 3. I assume that the only shocking, unexpected cost will be my Colorado tags. They really love to punish new car buyers in this state.

To current Tesla owners.

Would you share some insight on what to expect in the acquisition process? Such as:

1) tesla wall connector
2) all of these
3) nope
4) nope
5) way more expensive than I thought to upgrade the electrical panel on my home and vacation home to install 2 wall connectors at each
6) have your charging ready before delivery

Reactions: boaterva
you don't need to buy the hpwc.
you don't need an evse of any kind.

you just need to install a nema 15-40 outlet where you are going to charge (garage). should cost under $500 if the run is not long and the fuse box is adequate.

many people choose to buy and use the hpwc for aesthetics, or for the dual charger option on s/x. if you don't have the dual charger, you can't charge at higher than 40A. the hpwc can charge up to 80A. we don't know what the charging specs on 3 are yet, or if they will offer the dual charger.

i pretty much have no need to be able to charge at 80A, and actually set my nightly charging at 30A. i imagine most people are like me.

if you browse this forum, or google it, you'll find lots of info on this topic.

you don't need to buy the hpwc.
you don't need an evse of any kind.

you just need to install a nema 15-40 outlet where you are going to charge (garage). should cost under $500 if the run is not long and the fuse box is adequate.

many people choose to buy and use the hpwc for aesthetics, or for the dual charger option on s/x. if you don't have the dual charger, you can't charge at higher than 40A. the hpwc can charge up to 80A. we don't know what the charging specs on 3 are yet, or if they will offer the dual charger.

i pretty much have no need to be able to charge at 80A, and actually set my nightly charging at 30A. i imagine most people are like me.

if you browse this forum, or google it, you'll find lots of info on this topic.

Excellent info so far but have question about the charging info you provide. We don't know if the Model 3 will have dual chargers, but I would like to be able to charge my car as quickly as possible. Not at home, but while touring. I don't want to have to sit at a SC very long before hitting the road again. At home, my car can charge on 110 so long as it's charged by morning.

To current Tesla owners.

Another topic came to mind and that deals with delivery. Did you Tesla owners get your cars delivered or did you have to pick it up. Lot's of folks talking about picking up their 3's at the factory. I REALLY don't want to have to screw with registering a car in California and then in Arizona.

have received 4 quotes in Seattle from between approximately $800 to just over $2000 for installing a nema 15-40 3 feet away from my garage fuse box. still looking forward to the model 3, but didn't expect the price of installing a simple outlet to be this steep and can't imagine what a wall connector install would cost. have been considering seeing how painful charging on a standard outlet is before moving forward with a nema 15-40 install given that most of our driving is city driving at around 10-20 miles per day (i bike to work, wife drives).

Another topic came to mind and that deals with delivery. Did you Tesla owners get your cars delivered or did you have to pick it up. Lot's of folks talking about picking up their 3's at the factory. I REALLY don't want to have to screw with registering a car in California and then in Arizona.

No one has to pick up their car from the factory unless it is legitimately the nearest location. I think many like to do so and then include a factory tour and some sight-seeing on the way home. You can pick up your car at the nearest store to your home or, if there isn't one near by, I think they still offer the home delivery option.

Installing a 14-50 30' from my panel cost $375. That was a few years ago, but you must need something special done.

I don't think installing a wall connector would be notably more than a 14-50; the panel prep and wiring is all the same, just the mounting is a little different.

Despite having a 14-50 in the garage, when I was typically driving 10-20 miles per day I used a 120V outlet just because logistics were simpler given where I wanted to park. It worked great for 18 months. Having a big battery and a small commute makes it work great; even if you have a big day and it can't fill up overnight, you can just catch up the next night or two.

Reactions: jsrawa and LoL Rick
have received 4 quotes in Seattle from between approximately $800 to just over $2000 for installing a nema 15-40 3 feet away from my garage fuse box. still looking forward to the model 3, but didn't expect the price of installing a simple outlet to be this steep and can't imagine what a wall connector install would cost. have been considering seeing how painful charging on a standard outlet is before moving forward with a nema 15-40 install given that most of our driving is city driving at around 10-20 miles per day (i bike to work, wife drives).

I'd check friends and their friends until I found someone qualified to install the outlet. I have a friend who built his own home and I know he has the knowledge and ability to do if for me for probably parts and $50. Tesla sells the wall connector for $500.

Home charging is the most important thing to plan. I got by on 120V for a while but it was a little nerve wracking. The car will come with a Universal Mobile Connector, so you do not need to buy one. Just install an outlet that is appropriate for your needs. The various plug adapters are listed here, and the description for each one says how fast it charges. Tesla — Model S > Charging and Adapters
Expect the Model 3 to be more efficient than Model S or X, so it will get a few more miles per hour than the description but not a huge amount.

Unexpected cost for me was an upgrade to my home's electrical service because the panel was full, by both number of breakers and load calculation. The upgrade involved replacing the conduit going through the roof so it was not trivial.

Also unexpected were Xpel paint protection film, Opticoat coating, and Crystalline window tint. But it was a very expensive car so I wanted to protect it. That sort of protection is much less important for a Model 3.

There were no unexpected closing or registration costs for me. Insurance cost was comparable to the car that it replaced. If your carrier tries to charge significantly more, then shop around.

As part of the preparation, take a look at plugshare.com for public chargers in your area. Check the descriptions to find out what network they are on, and consider joining those networks in advance. Some of them require a physical card that has to be mailed to you. The car will come with a J1772 adapter, so that is the standard you are looking for. Ignore the orange markers on the map, which are CHAdeMO and CCS high speed chargers, until we learn what the Model 3 comes with.

Final note - upgraded chargers on the car have no effect on supercharging (or CHAdeMO/CCS) charging speed. The chargers are AC, and are bypassed when you plug into high speed DC charging.

• Informative
Reactions: sports4eva115
Excellent info so far but have question about the charging info you provide. We don't know if the Model 3 will have dual chargers, but I would like to be able to charge my car as quickly as possible. Not at home, but while touring. I don't want to have to sit at a SC very long before hitting the road again. At home, my car can charge on 110 so long as it's charged by morning.
your original question was what was the best 'garage wall charger'

the answer is, you don't need one.
others said hpwc... i say you don't need one.
if your plan is to charge 110 at home permanently, keep in mind you will charge at 4 miles an hour... so if you drive more than 32-40 miles a day, you will not replenish your miles daily. highly recommend level 2 charging at home

dual chargers will not change your SC times... as far as i understand it.

i'd say the average charge time at a SC is under 40 min when making long drives. more like 30.

arizona just allowed tesla to sell direct. i imagine a few stores will open up in the next 6 months.

wow... i would make a post in one of your local forums asking for recommendations from current owners.

...I REALLY don't want to have to screw with registering a car in California and then in Arizona.

I would advise against picking up if that means paying 2 duplicated taxes from 2 different states.

Some people can afford to pay duplicated taxes so they pick up at the factory for the convenience of factory tour.

Notice, only Roadster, S, X are eligible for factory tour, not Model ≡ and I don't know whether that change for your delivery date.

Home delivery is great if it comes with Tesla staff who can give you orientation and help in setting up cell phone and automatic garage opener.

If it does not come with Tesla staff, I would pick it up instead.

Self installing for 240V is possible as long as you have patience for instructions, follow National Electrical Codes, and don't get electrocuted.

Some cities require a permit fee which could be real cheap or in hundreds of dollars and some don't.
Seattle's permit fee is apparently $125, and my highest bid amusingly had "...for NEW TESLA" after each budget item.