Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 price drop in 2020 [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks JJ, I did go take a look at that thread but it kind of got derailed into arguments on Model 3 and Y demand haha.

Yeah it did, I agree with you there. With that being said, its a thread asking for speculation, so those type of threads go off the rails more than others, in my opinion at least.

I agree with the poster that said that a tesla is a lot like a technology device, instead of a car. Like an iPhone, we get OTA updates, and like most other technology devices, the later ones have more features / faster / etc than the older ones, most times for the same or less money.

Back to the speculation in this thread, on this topic, I expect that demand will be soft(er) for the model 3 in january, just like it is for every other car manufacturer... which is why tesla raised pricing twice past couple months in my opinion. I said that already though so.. shrug lol.

Yeah it did, I agree with you there. With that being said, its a thread asking for speculation, so those type of threads go off the rails more than others, in my opinion at least.

I agree with the poster that said that a tesla is a lot like a technology device, instead of a car. Like an iPhone, we get OTA updates, and like most other technology devices, the later ones have more features / faster / etc than the older ones, most times for the same or less money.

Back to the speculation in this thread, on this topic, I expect that demand will be soft(er) for the model 3 in january, just like it is for every other car manufacturer... which is why tesla raised pricing twice past couple months in my opinion. I said that already though so.. shrug lol.

Yeah I totally agree too, there will always be a better version right around the corner so there is no perfect time to buy. However in my situation I might end up kicking myself if I get too impatient. I think what I'll do is wait till the end of January and if no price changes happen I'll just go for it. I know I am going to love the car either way. Then the trick will be timing it right with my delivery date and current car lease return. Might be giving my wife the princess treatment dropping her off and picking her up if I have to borrow her car haha.

Yeah I totally agree too, there will always be a better version right around the corner so there is no perfect time to buy. However in my situation I might end up kicking myself if I get too impatient. I think what I'll do is wait till the end of January and if no price changes happen I'll just go for it. I know I am going to love the car either way. Then the trick will be timing it right with my delivery date and current car lease return. Might be giving my wife the princess treatment dropping her off and picking her up if I have to borrow her car haha.

I think you are going to have to wait a bit longer if you are hoping for a price drop. Tesla traditionally builds cars for international deliveries in January and February. With inventory likely being sold out for now, it could be March before they even have anything to sell. End of March is when they start thinking about concessions to make their end of quarter sales goals. March of this year they were offering free paint or wheel upgrades if you could close by end of quarter.

An early start to producing the Model Y would certainly create a lot of buzz around the Tesla name and that would take some of the sting out of losing the tax credit. Myself I would really like to have a 2 Tesla household and just get rid of the last gas car that we have now. A new Model Y would make that a lot easier to accomplish.

We picked up a 3 LR yesterday and now are effectively an all EV family. We still have a BMW 335. Great car, but it will be going to CarMax in January. With the Solarglass roof and powerwalls coming in spring I hope we never have to visit a gas station again.

Reactions: eevee-fan and KJD

Or it was raised to justify a decrease next year to offset credits which is far more likely. Add some here remove some later which is what they have been doing all along. The demand levers are just part of it the offset should come Q1.

I think you are going to have to wait a bit longer if you are hoping for a price drop. Tesla traditionally builds cars for international deliveries in January and February. With inventory likely being sold out for now, it could be March before they even have anything to sell. End of March is when they start thinking about concessions to make their end of quarter sales goals. March of this year they were offering free paint or wheel upgrades if you could close by end of quarter.

makes sense since now cars are sold as soon as they are loaded on carrier

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday on a M3P. My current lease is due for return on March 20th but the Tesla website is saying 8-11 weeks out for my M3P, so I figured I had better get my order in...

So now I'm wondering (like many have before me) on PPF. I am getting white and am liking what I've read about Xpel ppf. I've done searches and haven't found a whole lot comparing the stealth on white vs ultimate on white, at least to where it gave me a really good view to compare the differences. Anyone help me out with this decision? Any pics or experience here?

Thanks!

Well I pulled the trigger yesterday on a M3P. My current lease is due for return on March 20th but the Tesla website is saying 8-11 weeks out for my M3P, so I figured I had better get my order in...

Yeah, should be plenty of time to see what happens with the price. It'll be reflected in your MVPA if a drop occurs prior to taking delivery.

Did price actually go up today by $500?

Not AFAIK. Looks like the same $40k/$49k/$57k lineup to me. I'm not looking at adjustments to destination charges, etc. though so possible I missed something.

I am not sure about the other packages but I've been watching the M3P like a hawk, so I can assure you that package at least has not changed.

E-V-D. Congrats! Must be painful waiting that long though. I have a feeling I have a long wait ahead of me too, but I won't be stressing for about 8 more weeks and it's time to return my Infiniti.

I ordered SR+ in early Dec for $39,490 (still waiting for delivery). I checked the price today and it looks to be $39,990.

I guess I haven't been tracking too closely. There have been price adjustments in the last couple months but not sure exactly when they happened. I've just been looking for the last week or two and I'm fairly sure it has not changed in that timeframe. It does look like it was $39490 sometime in early November for sure. Don't know when they tacked on the extra $500.

I don't think they'll decrease the Model 3 base price by more than $500 or so.

The first quarter is generally an underperforming quarter. So I think Tesla will simply accept that, and they'll have the Model Y rolling out soon after.

Once the Model Y is out there will be no need to alter the price of the 3. Since the Model Y will be supply limited for awhile.

No need to drop the price now as the current builds are not even for the US. Now if by late Feb they don't have the orders they want they can play with price or add incentives to boost sales. I'm still torn on a used PS or new P3, but, I'll know within a few months which way I'm going LOL!