Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 price reduction to come?

is the price of the model 3 dropping

• yes (the price is getting reduced)

Votes: 40 26.5%
  • no ( the price is staying the same)

Votes: 112 74.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys, i just placed my order for a standard range plus model 3. one thing i look at when buying a car is resale value, with the model 3 we have seen a reduction in price every time the tax credit has gone down, but that hurts people who purchased the car before because on top of regular depreciation you have to factor in the new price reduction. Well for me the 3,750$ tax incentive doesn’t even apply and in July that’s going to get cut in half to $1875, so my question is does anyone know for sure if the standard range plus is getting a price reduction? if so it would be stupid to not wait the extra month, i know a lot of people got screwed when the tax credit originally dropped from 7500$ and i don’t want that to happen to me.

Reactions: vickh
Nobody got screwed.
You either get expensive car and high tax deduction = reduced price car and lower tax deduction.

no some configs would have done better by waiting till this year. Plus the sales tax savings.

I believ ethe SR price- tax credit is the lowest you can get. I doubt they will drop more since it's a loss leader and they've raised the price $900 already. Not sure about SR+

Nobody got screwed.
You either get expensive car and high tax deduction = reduced price car and lower tax deduction.
I think he meant the small % of people who ordered at the higher prices, but didn't get the higher Tax reduction. Just like he is now. There were people who purchased right before the deadline, at higher prices before the price was slashed, and then took the smaller reduction of $3750 due to delivery not meeting the deadline. They were indeed screwed.

If I were you I would wait Q3 ending.

I have been waiting for this exact reason to see if they lower the price after the tax credit drops

But Tesla has been raising the prices of SR and SR+ since they came out so we'll see what they do in a month

Funny thing about used Model 3's is that they are all high or overpriced so the resale value is holding very strong

I saw a 2018 LR go for $39,999 on Autotrader 5 days ago. Lowest used Model 3 price I've seen

The price may change, but if it does it will likely be the same as they did at the beginning of Q1. The price went down but not as much as the tax credit did, so if you bought before the end of the year you came out ahead. There have been other price adjustments and changes to the trim levels since then but I'd bet that most of that is now out of the way. You may see a slight adjust in Early July but it likely won't the full $1,875, if there is any adjustment at all.

The recent price increases of $400 seem to be timed to take advantage of the seemingly high demand for Model 3’s right now combined with the soon to be reduced federal tax credits. By raising the price now they can get away with higher margins while demand is strong while leaving themselves some room to discount in Q3 if demand drops down. But with right hand drive markets beginning to open up it may be that international demand balances out any drop in US demand in Q3.

Trying to time your purchase to get the absolute best pricing is always difficult, because Tesla pricing is hard to predict.

They have a policy of constantly improving their vehicles, and offering compelling value to keep demand high. Trying to figure this out in advance is challenging.

The elusive $35,000 Model 3 came and went. Nobody knows for sure if it will ever be seen again.

Trying to time a purchase to insure best resale value is also a game frought with opinions.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and vickh
The recent price increases of $400 seem to be timed to take advantage of the seemingly high demand for Model 3’s right now combined with the soon to be reduced federal tax credits. .

I believe it's $35,900 now per a call over the weekend. I bet you're right they'll knock it back down to 35K after Q2 to partially compensate for $2K just like they did with MR Q1 etc

Can Tesla afford to drop the price after loosing $700 million last quarter? I see Tesla raising prices as more likely.

I’m sure they would love to raise the price on all of their cars and still sell every one they can make but market conditions are not currently allowing for that so they have to find just the right price that allows them to sell as many units as they can make at the highest price they can get for them. And the market conditions keep changing, which is why their prices keep changing, in spite of the frustration people have expressed about it.

If you’ve ever tracked the price of a product on Amazon closely you can see just how frequently Amazon shifts their prices up and down to equalize demand and supply. A price can change several times in one day. But they are small dollar items so you don’t see people complaining about it that much. Tesla is doing the same thing, but it’s more noticeable because of the high dollar amounts involved.

hey guys, i just placed my order for a standard range plus model 3. one thing i look at when buying a car is resale value, with the model 3 we have seen a reduction in price every time the tax credit has gone down, but that hurts people who purchased the car before because on top of regular depreciation you have to factor in the new price reduction. Well for me the 3,750$ tax incentive doesn’t even apply and in July that’s going to get cut in half to $1875, so my question is does anyone know for sure if the standard range plus is getting a price reduction? if so it would be stupid to not wait the extra month, i know a lot of people got screwed when the tax credit originally dropped from 7500$ and i don’t want that to happen to me.

Resale values have always subtracted the value of the tax credit. It’s simple math: why pay more for used than the after tax price of new...