Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Price Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after watching Elon reveal the Model 3 and subsequently watching every video I could find of people riding in the M3 after the event, I started to try and calculate the cost. Here is how I did it:
The starting price of the vehicle will be $35k and in one of the test drives the driver said that the model they were riding in has "the larger" battery pack and was "dual motor". So we know there will be at least 2 batter options like we saw with MS and MX which makes sense. We also then know that the base $35k model will be single motor.
I then looked at the current pricing for the MS and calculated the percentage of price increase through out the line from the single motor 70D making it my base line Model 3 that will be 35k.
I then increased the cost of the M3's by the percentage increase that we see with the MS

(All prices in USD)
This is the price of the current 70D line per Tesla's website
70D single motor = $70,000
70D dual motor = $75,000
difference of 7.1%

90d = $88,000 difference of 20% from the base model
P90D = $108,000 difference of 35% from the base model

So when you apply the percentage difference to the base model price of the Model 3 you can GUESSTIMATE the cost.
Keep in mind these are in no way backed by any source and are merely a calculation of what you see above

My Model 3 approximate cost predictions:(I am guessing the kwh here)

Base Single Motor 50D = $35,000
Dual Motor 50D = $37,500

Now I assume Tesla will follow the current model and only offer the higher battery pack in Dual Motor and I am assuming by the way Elon said "there will be a fast on" that he will continue to offer a Performance model. I also assumed that the batter will increase by 20kwh like the MS and MX

Dual Motor 70D = $42,000
Dual Motor P70D = $47,250

You can then assume that most of the options will cost about the same price and get a guesstimate of what your car will cost with the options you want. We can all hope (and probably correctly assume that many of the options will be cheaper with the smaller car). But since I did this for budgeting I went on the high side and assumed they would stay the same.

So the options sound like they are going to be pretty much the same with maybe a few extras that we don't know about. But one of the Tesla drivers said last night that they plan on having the Smart Air Suspension.

Here is the list and prices from Tesla.com:
Autopilot = $2500
Premium Interior and Lighting = $3000
Smart Air Suspension = $2500
High Fidelity Sound = $2500
Sub Zero = $1000
Total = $11,500
Plus a few other extras
Upgraded Rims = $2500 or $4000
Ludicrous Mode = $10,000 (If they do this I would find it hard to believe they would charge 10k)

So if you were to buy a fully loaded P70D with the nicest rims and Luda Mode = $72,750
So if you were to buy a fully loaded P70D (minus rims and Luda Mode) would cost = $58,750

Now you can GUESSTIMATE the cost of the Model 3 that you want. Lets now hear what you think your build will be

Ludicrous Mode = $10,000 (If they do this I would find it hard to believe they would charge $10k)

So if you were to buy a fully loaded P70DL with the nicest rims = $72,750
So if you were to buy a fully loaded P70D (w/o rims) would cost = $58,750

It seems that some of the prices of options will be Cost-based, and some will be Market-based. Ludicrous Mode seems like it will be mostly market-based. Because most people want as much range as possible right now, that Tesla will mostly price BP upgrades by cost. But who knows, could be all made up.

I've done a "custom" build for myself too:
Model 3 Possible Configuration and Options, what will you order?

Preview:
  1. Supercharger access (TBD if this included or not) [$2K]
  2. Largest Battery [$10K]
  3. Dual-motor [$5K]
  4. Panoramic Roof that opens (test drive video mentions: metal, all glass, pano that opens) [$2K]
  5. Autopilot Convenience [$2K]
  6. Upgraded seats [$2K]
  7. Slate Color [$1K]
  8. Turbine Wheels [$1K]