Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Pricing in Canada - What we know

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am afraid that not much Tesla can do at this point. If their application was processed and the list will be updated shortly then we're all good to go (wait) but if Tesla has just started the application then nothing will move for the next couple of months. Government employees were instructed that non-urgent issues/ projects will not be approved/ reviewed during this election period.

Deleted my comment about negativity

Last edited:
I agree. I believe when AWD becomes available initially there will be only 2 possible configurations. LR+PUP and LR+AWD+PUP. (This would include anything made mandatory with the inclusion of AWD. eg. SAS)
Early ‘19 for any SR configs. This would only change if LR orders fall off significantly.

Reactions: doubeld
I am afraid that not much Tesla can do at this point. If their application was processed and the list will be updated shortly then we're all good to go (wait) but if Tesla has just started the application then nothing will move for the next couple of months. Government employees were instructed that non-urgent issues/ projects will not be approved/ reviewed during this election period.
Hopefully Tesla applied as early as possible, the M3 has been on BC & Quebec EV rebate sites for over a week.

1)Do all 36000 purchase without the rebate? 2) If not how many fall off? 3) How many are just doing nothing and seeing if the model gets listed on the evip site?

It's in Tesla's best interest to sort it out one way or another.
Yes, very much so.
Well, I for one am in the camp of no rebate, no buy. Our second car is a Volt, which is a good car, and which allows us to do most of our local driving in ev mode anyway. So trading in an 18 month old fully loaded Volt without the rebate is not going to happen.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I am not surprised that most Canadians want AWD, it's a huge selling point for most other cars in this country.

But the looming election will cause a lot of those people to question if they really NEED AWD, myself included, in order to secure the rebate.
It's a standard feature here among many cars esp SUVs while still just an option in the US. That's how much Canadians love AWD.

I updated the 'International Tesla Cost Estimator' I created to accommodate the new Performance prices - please let me know if you notice any errors or omissions.

For those still waiting for an invite, feel free to use!

upload_2018-6-27_23-42-36.png

I also reserved at the beginning of the year and received my invite to configure last night. I believe they just opened up ALL reservation holders to configure. Not to be cynical ( and don’t get me wrong I am super excited to configure) they oroabably realized this way they can show a significant number of increased ( non refundable) orders and perhaps more importantly, a significant additional revenue source and some extra production certainty.

I also reserved at the beginning of the year and received my invite to configure last night. I believe they just opened up ALL reservation holders to configure. Not to be cynical ( and don’t get me wrong I am super excited to configure) they oroabably realized this way they can show a significant number of increased ( non refundable) orders and perhaps more importantly, a significant additional revenue source and some extra production certainty.

I agree.

Now I'm in the same boat as the rest of us Ontarians. Should I order now and cross my fingers on the rebate? Considering I don't need the LR battery, I "save" $5,000 and get free LR if I order today and the rebate comes through. More likely, I'd be out $23,000 as we'll lose the rebate and I'll have spent $9,000 on LR I don't need. Hmm, seems pretty clear, lacking infinite funds, I should defer :confused:

I agree.

Now I'm in the same boat as the rest of us Ontarians. Should I order now and cross my fingers on the rebate? Considering I don't need the LR battery, I "save" $5,000 and get free LR if I order today and the rebate comes through. More likely, I'd be out $23,000 as we'll lose the rebate and I'll have spent $9,000 on LR I don't need. Hmm, seems pretty clear, lacking infinite funds, I should defer :confused:
1) be safe and wait for SR and have price certainty but your car won't come till 2019 well into Q1 I think.
2) be a gambler order LR now, possibly get a rebate LR for SR price. With the chance you miss the rebate and can't afford the car and have to resell right away in hopes you take no financial hit. Have the car delivered in 5 months

Having received the invite last night, I ordered immediately in hopes of qualifying for the rebate. It's a risk I'm prepared to take and will likely delay for some time if it doesn't in hopes something would be released later at the federal level.

Wasn't expecting to order for a number of months so this came as a huge surprise. If the rebate works out, kudos to Tesla for doing this regardless if there were other factors at play.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Hmm. I see what you mean, but the rebate is after the financing deal. You could simulate this by making your down-payment equal to the rebate, which is effectively what you're assuming, right?
I assumed that it would be okay to do that as well but in BC the rebate is applied after taxes so it wouldn't be a true indication. I ended up just creating my own spreadsheet where I can calculate all the pricing options as well as a gas vs electric comparison and insurance so I have a really true cost of ownership comparison of ICE vs EV. The only thing missing from mine is maintenance costs.