Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 pricing spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice.

Could you add OH? We just moved, so I'm not familiar with the tax rates. No state incentives though.

I noticed you have AZ included already. AZ has an unusual incentive that is worth noting. EVs receive a 99% reduction in the vehicle license tax (which is a property tax on cars...). You can also register an EV up front for up to 5 years vs only up to 2 years for an ICE (so you can lock in the savings -- even if the incentive goes away, your car is already registered). For an ICE, the VLT 1.68% of the base msrp of the car, reduced by 16.5% for each consecutive year. A $35k ICE would be taxed $1970 over 5 years, while a Model 3 would be only $19.70! There is a special plate fee for the alt fuel plate that gives HOV access, but that's under $30...

ok ... I'm a hobbyist dabbler in spreadsheets, so when I saw OP's long list of permutations I had to try and simplify:

Try this one
Set you choices, and have cash ready ;-)
If other users are playing with the spreadsheet at the same time, you can always grab your own personal copy.

If you add data to the 'States' spreadsheet, please sort the states column afterwards. It makes for easier reading and the drop-down menu is then alphabetized. The states that have restrictions on who can qualify is not implemented correctly

Addendum: Error corrected ... sorry.

Nice. Compared to the other spreadsheet, you may be missing the $1000 Delivery Charge. I wish it didn't exist too :)

Interesting. I was disappointed that California has a $2500 rebate while Arizona does not. But I see that with the difference in tax it comes out almost exactly the same.
And after reading ZBB's comment above about Arizona giving a huge discount on vehicle license tax, it is actually going to be significantly cheaper here.
But I'm not sure about the tax rate. The Arizona state tax rate is listed as 5.6%, but what about city tax? If I live in Tempe will I have to pay Tempe city sales tax on top of that?
And what if I go to the factory in California to pick it up? Will I be charged California sales tax, or Arizona?

Tesla has failed. How could a simplified options menu possibly require a spreadsheet ?

Colorado:
$5000 refundable tax credit
$7,500 Federal non-refundable tax credit
Taxes: Sales tax 4 - 6%, varies by county. Annual ownership tax 4.85% of msrp over the first 4 years and 0.425% in years 5-9, also some variation by county.

Is the CO 5k only available as a refundable tax credit or does Tesla allow you to deduct it at sale either by assigning it to them or the financing company? I thought that was why it went from 6k to 5k.

I've been watching the CT rebate available fund amount. I don't think there is enough to make it to the first model 3 deliveries in the state.

Remaining: 502,500
Used so far this year: 1,000,000
DEEP: CHEAPR - Available Funding

So that's a rate of 142k/month and since the bolt went on sale it's significantly picked up.

So it will be gone in less than 3.5 months or mid November. Probably sooner I would guess early October.

Is the CO 5k only available as a refundable tax credit or does Tesla allow you to deduct it at sale either by assigning it to them or the financing company? I thought that was why it went from 6k to 5k.
In general, a car dealership can give you a $5k discount and collect the tax credit but I read not too long ago that Tesla was not able to act this way. I presume it has to do with them being an out of state dealership, but I don't know for sure.

So it might change, or you may have to collect the money on your own taxes. Personally, I modify my monthly income tax payments to figure in the tax credit amount.

You can add Massachusetts: 6.25% tax (same as any new car or other retail purchase), $2500 rebate (till money runs out)

The rebate in Massachusetts is $1,000 for the S and X since it is based on the cost of the vehicle.
75% ($3.5m) of the available funds have already been used but not sure when funding will run out.
Very possible the lower cost Model 3 will be higher rebate but we will have to wait since it is not yet on the list.

Eligible Vehicles List | MOR-EV
Why is the EV rebate in MA only $1,000 for Model S and X but higher for Bolt, Leaf, etc. • r/teslamotors
Mass rebate program.PNG

Last edited:
Would be interested in seeing a UT spreadsheet... any Utah buyers here... according to the tax website, it says 6.85% Sales tax on cars and vehicles in Utah , but it also says the maximum tax that can be charged is 900 dollars. I've also heard that you can't even buy a Tesla in Utah... does that mean I have to go to California to buy? I'm a little confused how this will work when it is time to buy.

Pricing has been a big topic since the last event. So I'm hoping this would be helpful.
Crunching numbers on combo options? Need a reality check on what you can afford?
Take a look at this spreadsheet I put together.

Tesla Model 3 pricing

If you want me to add a tab for your State, comment here with your State, tax, and State incentives.
Enjoy!
I believe quite a few states charge sales tax on entire purchase whereas others like AZ only charge it on the trade difference. That saved me nearly $3000 on my S vs a state that taxes the full purchase price -- so it shouldn't be overlooked. Another AZ benefit is single occupant access to car pool lanes - a huge benefit in metro Phoenix. The number of these plates are capped for hybrids and no longer available for them.